iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brisket

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, August 21, 2015, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I haven't done a brisket in a while so I put one on the big green egg this morning at 08:30.
I'm keeping the smoker temp around 190 for the first 5 hours or so.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

What kind of smoke?

Been thinking about doing a couple briskets myself.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Howdy

popcorn_smiley I'll bring corn fresh from the fields if I can come!!! running-doggy

Raider Bill

How long is a train ride to St Pete, Florida?

Weekend_Sawyer

I use hickory for everything these days. They keep getting in front of my brothers bulldozer.

21incher

We are still waiting for a done picture. Hope you enjoyed it. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Weekend_Sawyer

Sorry for the delay, I was pretty busy eating brisket!  :D
It's the best one I ever made.
8.5 lb brisket, I smoked for about 5 hours keeping the grill under 200 degrees. About that time it's internal temp hit 140 and I foiled it and let the grill temp rise to 250. When it hit 200 internal I moved it to a towel lined cooler to sit for an hour. When I opened the foil I got about 2 cups of juice from it. you can't see from my pic but there was a wonderful dark pink ring under the bark and you can cut it with a fork. 

beenthere

That is mouth-watering right there..  8)  smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I would love to make a sammich out of that.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warped

Mmmm mmmmm looks good.
Got some pretty dark bark for only 5 hours, coal, wood or both?
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Magicman

Maybe Jon drapped it in da far and couldn't rub it all offn so he jist called it "Good".   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That looks awesome and even better if complimented with some of your pickles.  food6 food6 food6
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That would be good with a smattering of Danjonit on it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 23, 2015, 08:29:45 PM
That would be good with a smattering of Danjonit on it.
Reminds me of the butter song:

Every things better with Blue Bonnet Danjonit on it.

Warped

It's not nice to fool mother nature.......alright so it was Chiffon!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Warped on August 23, 2015, 02:37:43 PM
Mmmm mmmmm looks good.
Got some pretty dark bark for only 5 hours, coal, wood or both?
I have a Big Green Egg and use Lump Charcoal. Makes controlling the temp pretty easy.

I served it with coleslaw and corn on the cob. Of course Danjonit's Amazing Sawmill BBQ sauce was on the side... it'll cure what ails ya!

Yesterday I had brisket sandwiches for lunch.
Last night we had brisket stir fry with udon noodles. That was good!

Stay smokey my friends.
Jon

drobertson

We did one back in late July, and I agree, stay in the smoke, they sure are some good eat'n!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

firecord

Used to do 4 or 5 brisket ' s a year. They just cost too much now.  Saw on fox that Arby's buys so many that it has created a shortage for us regular folks.  So we have to pay more. Good Ole American way. 

scgargoyle

I don't do brisket often because of the cost and time. Ever smoke a corned beef? Comes out kind of like pastrami. Oddly enough, it cooks in a fraction of the time- maybe because of the brining? At St Patrick's Day, you can buy corned beef much cheaper than a plain ol' brisket- go figure.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Raider Bill

Smoked corned beef is pastrami :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 15, 2015, 03:36:08 PM

You smoking something?  :D :D :D

DanG

Hmmm.  Haven't we been here before?  :D :D

If you want to save money and still have a brisket-like substance, try a rump roast. I split them in half so they are about the same thickness of brisket.  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

petefrom bearswamp

I just ate breakfast, but I am still salivating lookin at that chunk of meat
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Forgot to mention,m y wife just bought a grass fed beef brisket from a local artisan dairy/ meat/bakery store last Saturday.
Can you do this on a gas grill?
I dont have a charcoal or wood outfit.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 15, 2015, 08:59:58 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on September 15, 2015, 03:36:08 PM

You smoking something?  :D :D :D

Brisket :D

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on September 16, 2015, 08:46:46 AM
Forgot to mention,m y wife just bought a grass fed beef brisket from a local artisan dairy/ meat/bakery store last Saturday.
Can you do this on a gas grill?
I dont have a charcoal or wood outfit.

You can but will have to pay attention to not drying it out. My experience with grass fed beef is there is little to no fat to render. In direct heat, Low, slow and keep it moist. Black coffee solution is what I use.

Weekend_Sawyer

You might try only turning on one burner and putting the brisket over the burner that is off.
I used to cook in gas and still would put a chunk of hickory right on the burner. Love that hickory flavor!

good luck and let us know how delicious it comes out!  :)

Jon

LeeB

I don't see why you couldn't put some shavings or sawdust in a small pan over the burner just like you would in an electric smoker. For that matter, they make propane/gas smokers too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!