iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you live in Alaska and ...

Started by Frickman, August 21, 2015, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

you aren't on television at least twice a month, you're doing a good job hiding from the cameras. It seems every time I turn the thing on there is some show from some frozen corner of Alaska. It's funny how they usually only film during the coldest part of the winter, I rarely see images from the summer time.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

WV Sawmiller

Fricky,

Have you lived or visited up there? Pretty neat but I did conclude it was settled by rednecks. You'd see real nice homes but the weeds and brush grew right up to the porch. There would be several pieces of heavy equipment, cars and other equipment out in the weeds. I guess because so remote they don't want to throw anything away they may need in the future. The folks I met were pretty nice and we had a real good time visiting my BIL and his family who live up there and touring much of the country.

I do think the ones we see on TV are the oddballs rather than the norm. I do watch the background for the sawmills as several of the shows have them. My BIL says the state has a lumber allowance for every resident and you can ask the local forester and he will take you to an area and mark the trees you can have. Other states may have similar rules but most of us are probably not aware of them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Warped

Just more of the media making white males look stupid............that one family has about six of them. Although the one show with the hard working Scandinavian brothers who raise cattle is interesting.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

florida

The people of Alaska are much like the people of Florida. Everybody is from somewhere else.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Raider Bill

One of the shows "Alaska the Last Frontier" Keeps my interest. The family's name is Kilcher. They do some dumb stuff that isn't scripted like bull dozing a yellow jacket nest and finding out the hard way. They also do some pretty cool things to watch.

The singer Jewel's father is Atz Kilcher.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Warped

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 21, 2015, 02:43:11 PM
One of the shows "Alaska the Last Frontier" Keeps my interest. The family's name is Kilcher. They do some dumb stuff that isn't scripted like bull dozing a yellow jacket nest and finding out the hard way. They also do some pretty cool things to watch.

That's the one, could only come with the A and should have been easy....always reminds me of an adz.
And completely forgot about Jewel!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

clww

That's the two of them singing at the beginning of each show. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

starmac

I got a laugh out of this thread.
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a kid from England hitchiking to Prudhoe Bay. He mentioned that The ice road trucker program was popular in england, and ask if I had ever driven on it. I told him he was on it now, and again he ask if I had ever driven it. lol
I told him again, you are on it now, and have been for over 200 miles, this is what they called the ice road, and this is what it looks like in the summertime.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sawguy21

I quit watching those, some of them were looking to get themselves killed either through ignorance or the desire to dramatize for the camera. One was 'teaching' his nine year old how to drop trees and obviously didn't know what he was doing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 21, 2015, 02:43:11 PM

That show is the one thing I miss after cancelling my cable TeeVee. Sure, they ham it up for the camera a little sometimes, but I think it is more real than not. It's great to see several generations of a family working together, contributing their individual talents to get things done. I've read some comments saying that they are quite rich, and don't really need to live that way. But, maybe they are rich because they choose to live that way.

Cazzhrdwd

I've heard Alaska offers a nice tax break to these companies that make these shows, not sure if its true. some of them are quite interesting.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Roxie

We watch "Mountain Men" just to see Marty fur trapping in the Revelation Mountains.  He's fascinating and doesn't throw in unnecessary drama.  Another interesting trapper is Tom from Montana. 
Say when

starmac

I do not watch much tv and have not seen most of the shows mentioned.
There is supposed to be one about a guy that builds log rafts and rafts down the Yukon river, I haven't seen it or even know the name of it.

I met the guy that does this several years ago. He was tied up at the river bridge with his raft and a wall tent on it, with smoke coming out of the stove pipe. I had to park the truck and walk down there just to see what he was up to. He was an interesting guy, and had coffee on so we visited quite a while. He had his grandson with him, and had been building a raft and gathering firewood to sell in the villages for years. By the time he got to the village he was going to he would have something like 20 cords of wood to sell, and would sell the raft and all, load his gear in his homeade boat and run back up river. Neat way to spend the summer and make a few bucks. His grandson was 16 at the time and haveing quite an adventure.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Gadrock

One of my extra kids...meaning friends of my own kids...was from Alaska and had worked on one of those fishing boats like on tv. His idea of the guys that went to the bar in Homer...well those folk were not so well thought of.  TV does tihat...makes a hero out of a ZERO. But i never met any of those guys when I was up there.

But I do  think that 99+% of the tv watchers think that Tom to be the real deal and a trustworthy guy. I am one of those believers. Others on that show are not soooo well believed in.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Thank You Sponsors!