iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita 6421 rebuild

Started by Belafonte, August 20, 2015, 04:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belafonte

I have been having a blast milling all kinds of stuff with my Home Depot special Makita these past few weeks.  It is certainly undersized but the .325 chain does help speed things up if you keep the pressure at a minimum.  I have been planning on doing the big bore upgrade but I wanted to squeeze the last bit of life out of the stock top end first.  Well, It seems as though my screen type air filter developed a hole at some point and I have been sucking all kinds of fine sawdust into the saw for I don't know how long.  It still ran fine, but I decided that I want to do a rebuild before serious damage occurs to the bottom end.  I stripped down the saw and pulled the jug off and there is certainly some oily grit in the lower case.  My questions are:
1:Can I clean the lower case without splitting it in half by using gas or something like that?
2:If not, are there any good video/picture instructions on how to split it without expensive special tools?
3: How much play at either end of the connecting rod is acceptable?
    I am a diy person and have been inside motors before but I have no experience with two stroke stuff.  Oh yeah, I plan to invest in the HD filter kit from here on out!

Warped

Should be no play grabbing the rod and pulling up and down, it will slide side to side though, more than you'll probably expect.
Fill the case with gas or kerosene and turn it over to drain wouldn't hurt. While upside down flush the heck out of it with wd 40, other spray lubricant or carb cleaner. Then fill it with two cycle oil to lube it up, rotate the crank a few times and us ethe oil to mix your gas if ya wish. Check the rings and cylinder walls while you're in there. A compression check before disassembly wouldn't have hurt, oh well.
Good luck Oh, check the wrist pin bearing too, and flush it and lube it as well.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Thank You Sponsors!