iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 555 AT Experiences

Started by XP_Slinger, August 19, 2015, 03:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XP_Slinger

Hey all,

I am currently shopping for a saw that will bridge both the power and weight gap between my 372XP x-torq and my 346XP/NE. In a perfect world, I would be going to my dealer to buy a 357XP. But that is not the case because they stopped producing what is in my mind THE ideal mid-range chainsaw.  So I am looking at either a 555 AT or the 562XP/AT.  Having seen a lot of problems with the 562 via customer reviews, I am steering clear of it until the technology matures a bit.  I haven't seen near as many bad experiences in the reviews for the 555 so it makes me wonder if the AT system is more reliable on the 555.  I am not a logger, but I fell and buck 100+ face cord of firewood every year so my saws get a healthy work out.  Your objective opinions, and personal experiences that are good, bad or indifferent would be much appreciated for my decision process.  BTW, this is a great forum. I've been reading it as a guest for a long time and find it a "cut above" (pun intended) others where brand bashing accounts for 75% of the forum content.

Regards,

JJB
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Pine Ridge

I don't have any experience with a 555 at, but we have 3 of the 562 xp saws at the road department where i work, all with 20" bars. They run very good with good power. The problem weve had is with the hot start procedure, some of the guys will pick them up and start yanking the starter without the switch being in the fast idle position, and the saw won't start. Then they put it in the choke position and yank, and end up flooding it. I think thats probably the cause of most of the complaints on the 562xp, getting them to start. I do the hot start procedure every time after the saw is warmed up and have no problems getting them to start. I do the same with my 550 xp. Welcome to the forestry forum.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

weimedog

Mine as been a good saw when I have time to run it! Usually have it as backup to project saws.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

celliott

Pretty sure it's the same AT system, just the 562 has the revboost feature.
Might be hearing more complaints on the 562 vs the 555 because alot more 562's have been sold to professional users, who use them ALOT and I'd wager a guess that 555's are sold to firewood guys who don't use them quite as much? Just a thought.

If it's 555 VS 562, I'd say price is the biggest difference. Get the 562 IMO.
I have a Jonsered 2260 (like the 562 except small mount bar) and I love it. I also have a 357xp, which is great, but the 2260 blows it away.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

XP_Slinger

Thanks for the inputs.  Interesting and encouraging point about the hot start procedure with the 562.  I wonder if that has been a lot of the reason for the returns to the dealer for a reboot of the AT system. No doubt it is a very powerful saw for its size.  From what I've heard it will run with my 372 in wood under 20".  Guess I need to go see what feels better.  I have a chance to get a 562 for $619 this weekend.  Awful tempting
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Pine Ridge

I bet you'll like them, don't know if the one your looking at is new or used, a new one here is 759.00 i believe.

XP_Slinger

It's new at my local dealers display at our state woodsmans field days
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Pine Ridge

If you like it you cant go wrong at that price, thats a great buy in my opinion.

sweetjetskier

I just recently picked up a pre owned 555, very nice saw for firewood or tree company ground guys.

We have a Jonsered 2258, (555 twin brother) at work and both are quick revving, powerful, well balanced with an impressive powerband also.

The 555 controls do take a little getting used to, but read the owners manual, explains starting techniques that are needed. Once you have that mastered you will love the saw.

You may even have to go to the gym for exercise as these saws are stingy on fuel usage, so walks back to the truck become limited  :D
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

XP_Slinger

Lol!  I know that feeling.  Last weekend I was cutting on a log pile and for 3 logs I was hoping the saw would run out of fuel so I had an excuse to take a break.  Ha ha ha.
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

WVhunter

I have had mine for over a year now, I cut a lot of firewood. I can not say one bad thing about this saw, love it.

rburg

I saw 2 new 357s at a hardware store yesterday priced at $710. I believe I would just as soon have a 555 or a 562 myself.

CR888

The 555 is just a detuned 562. The build quality is exactly the same and the 555 has an all orange look without the grey clutch cover that the paint wears off in the box during delivery. The main differences are in the external transfer ports are slightly smaller than 562 and the 562 has crank stuffers for case pressure. Only other difference l can think of is the bar mount which is small mount on the 555. The 555 is a perfectly acceptable saw in stock form and has the advantage of running lighter small mount bars. I would happily own either saw however l have a 555 as it came to me in a deal. Although there does seem to be more off idle stumble issues with 562 carbs. My 555 has near perfect throttle response as does a 550xp l have. My stihl ported ms261 does not have the throttle response of my 550xp but top end power is good on the ported saw holding a lot more rpm while cutting. I like saws.

WV Mountaineer

I have a crew of men cutting timber for me that used the 555 AT as a limbing saw on the landing.  I kid you not, it lasted less than 100 hours.  Bearing failure.  Probably a fluke.  They replaced it with a 562.  Great saw.  They have even cut some poplar timber with it.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

SawTroll

Quote from: Pine Ridge on August 19, 2015, 07:45:30 PM
I don't have any experience with a 555 at, but we have 3 of the 562 xp saws at the road department where i work, all with 20" bars. They run very good with good power. The problem weve had is with the hot start procedure, some of the guys will pick them up and start yanking the starter without the switch being in the fast idle position, and the saw won't start. Then they put it in the choke position and yank, and end up flooding it. I think thats probably the cause of most of the complaints on the 562xp, getting them to start. I do the hot start procedure every time after the saw is warmed up and have no problems getting them to start. I do the same with my 550 xp. Welcome to the forestry forum.

Yes, and it is operator error in very close to 100% of the cases.

Quote from: sweetjetskier on August 20, 2015, 07:53:52 AM

The 555 controls do take a little getting used to, but read the owners manual, explains starting techniques that are needed. Once you have that mastered you will love the saw.

Yes - and with those saws you should do as it says! :)
Information collector.

Pine Ridge

Sawtroll you are correct in my opinion .

XP_Slinger

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences.  Hearing both the positive and negative feedbacks is showing me that Husqvarna's AT system seems to be more reliable than I originally thought.
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

NH-Murph

The guys harvesting the WP on my woodlot have 6 or 7 562xp saws and swear by them.  They are screamers!  Can tell them from my 372 from a mile away!  I gotta see if I can try one out for a tank or 2 before they move off my lot, but I am leaning towards it as my next saw.

XP_Slinger

Thanks again for all of the information fellas.  Unfortunately, I had to make some repairs to another toy to keep the family happy and there went my purchasing power for a bit.  Gotta love boats.

Josh
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

SawTroll

Quote from: XP_Slinger on August 31, 2015, 10:07:22 AM
Thanks for sharing all of your experiences.  Hearing both the positive and negative feedbacks is showing me that Husqvarna's AT system seems to be more reliable than I originally thought.

I have never heard of a single case where the AT itself failed - all issues blamed on the AT have proven to be either carb or operator related, when "investigated".
Information collector.

49er

My Buddy logs full time and has been using his 562 for over two years. It has been pretty much trouble free except for a piston seize when he got bad gas. His 7900 seized at the same time. I cleaned the cylinders and put in new pistons and they run fine.
   I have a tlandrum ported 2260. Terry replaced the el46 carb to fix the bog. I also broke the starter, the center post broke.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

XP_Slinger

I am aware the AT software and interface themselves have not been the culprit.  I was referring to saw models equipped with the AT system vs a traditional carb.  Guess I should've been a little more specific...Thanks
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

nitehawk55

Just had a new 555 out today bucking some hardwood . Light and lots of power , I like it !!
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

XP_Slinger

nitehawk55,

Good to hear!  What length bar are you running?
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

NH-Murph

I just found a 555 on Craigslist this morning that may have had a gallon of gas through it.  Small engine shop guy had it and robbed the handlebar and throttle linkage out of it for a customer's saw.  He didn't get around to replacing the parts, and is retiring and selling off his inventory.  Seemed worth the $150 he was asking so I grabbed it.  Can't wait to get the parts, put it back together and try 'er out!

Thank You Sponsors!