iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Welding bands

Started by Larry, August 19, 2015, 09:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I got some 1 1/2 .050's bands that were cut way over length.  When I called the supplier they found the mistake and re-shipped.  Told me to keep the over length bands.

There a length that won't fit any mill ever made.  Thought I might be able to cut them and re-weld to fit my mill.  Since its a one time deal I don't want to invest much.  I can mig, braze, or silver solder.  I thought brazing would be the best, but scared I might get the band too hot and take the temper out of too many teeth.

Any suggestions on how to weld them?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I would lean toward doing what the manufacturers do, weld and grind off the excess.  Shorten one, try it, and proceed from there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jemclimber

There are some youtube videos on this and it's something I'd like to do too. I have an over length carbide blade I'd like to cut to make skim cuts on dried slabs. I have the same as equipment you mention. I think making the jig to hold it is easy but very important and if it's welded instead of brazed or soldered I believe it's important to anneal it.  I don't know if that could be done with propane or if it needs more heat from acetylene to get that job done....  Let me know what you do and how it works??
lt15

Ljohnsaw

Larry,
How long is too long?  What is the band size.  Perhaps someone here could buy them off you at a discounted price and both would win!

Google bandsaw welders.  Popular Mechanics had a set of plans that look doable.  It was an arc welder of sorts and annealed the weld as well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

dustyhat

I tried mig welding but did not have much luck on them staying together, I did see a guy on you tube silver solder one an looked like it held up pretty good.

pine

I would use TIG but looks like that may not be an option from your original post (mig, braze, or silver solder).  Do you know friends that can TIG.  Do it in short welds, keep the heat low by letting it cool between welds. Use a filler like 312 stainless.

Since posting the link over to Welding Web specific threads would be a violation of forum rules I won't; but if you go to the Welding Web site and search on the subject you can find a lot of information.
Good Luck

drobertson

they can be tig welded, done it on metal cutting saws in the past. a good fixture and procedures are required, follow by proper tempering. I little tricky but doable.  Use stainless filler if possible, it should blend well with the parent band.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sealark37

+1 on the Youtube silver solder.

Satamax

Using 312 welding rods, tiny ones like 2mm.  You could spot weld. Make one spot, remove the slag, another spot onto the edge of the first one, remove the slag etc. Then grind the weld. May be needed to be done on both sides. And then aneal with a torch? ( is that the right word the process of re heating to 400C° and letting cool down slowly? )
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Kbeitz

I silver solder with good luck.....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

Do you scarf the joint?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Larry,

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought that you was getting hitched  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

The commercial bandsaw venders butt weld them, that is square cut butted togather straight and current applied, kinda like spot welding. After the joint is reheated to anneal it. likely if you made a fixture to hold them straight you could use an arc welder for the current. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

If you are talking welding broken blades, it ain't worth doing. Been there, done that. Yes, you can weld them and they will saw ok, for just a little while. Never had one last long enough to get dull. The usually break somewhere other than the new weld. Now if you are re-sizing blades, it's probably worth doing. My recommendation is to find a machine shop with a resistance welder. I had a bunch welded for $2 each. Notice that all the commercial blade vendors use resistance welding. There's a reason.. I still have the jig I used when I was playing around with welding blades. If you wanna try your hand, pm me and I'll send it to you. Good quality aviation tin snips will cut band blade stock nicely
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

Quote from: WDH on August 19, 2015, 08:34:53 PM
Larry,

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought that you was getting hitched  :D.

No Welding Bells for me.  It is an interesting idea....I don't think Kathy would approve.  I should be quiet now. :D :D :D

drobertson

A resistance welder is by far the best choice, hands down.  And this can still be a tricky situation, settings and the operator have to be on the money.  I know brazing/ and or soldering if this is the right wording will stick together things, but the tensile factor is a major concern.  brazing works pretty good on compression, however interrupted loads can and will cause issues at some point.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on August 19, 2015, 09:51:27 PM
Quote from: WDH on August 19, 2015, 08:34:53 PM
Larry,

No Welding Bells for me.  It is an interesting idea....I don't think Kathy would approve.  I should be quiet now. :D :D :D

.....and now Back to our regular scheduled programing.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

In a past life I cut a lot of asbestos/cement board to make induction ovens on a big Do-all bandsaw. It had an attached resistance welder and I used it often. At best it was a tricky operation some joints failed for no good, apparent reason. The timing and heat are critical. I'am still looking for a welder that will handle 1 1/2" bands. Anyone here know the savings if you bought a big roll of band stock and welded your own.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

warren46

I ordered some bands to long one time.  My supplier cut and welded the bands for a very reasonable cost.  Good as new and probably much better than I could of done myself.  Give your supplier a call and see what he would charge to cut and weld the bands.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

mesquite buckeye

Oops. Misread it. I thought it said welding boards. This is a technique I want to learn. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

deadfall

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 20, 2015, 01:06:07 PM
Oops. Misread it. I thought it said welding boards. This is a technique I want to learn. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Yes, this is all I would need to be a master carpenter.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

redprospector

Several years ago I had blades welded when they broke. I used a local welding school.
They were very reasonable on pricing, I don't remember how much though.
If you can find a welding school, they might be a good option.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

drobertson

go to a shop that does it if you cant find a tig welder that can do it. not worth the hassle unless time does not matter.  just my two cents worth,

Gideon_70

Quote from: Larry on August 19, 2015, 09:19:12 AM
I got some 1 1/2 .050's bands that were cut way over length.  When I called the supplier they found the mistake and re-shipped.  Told me to keep the over length bands.

There a length that won't fit any mill ever made.  Thought I might be able to cut them and re-weld to fit my mill.  Since its a one time deal I don't want to invest much.  I can mig, braze, or silver solder.  I thought brazing would be the best, but scared I might get the band too hot and take the temper out of too many teeth.

Any suggestions on how to weld them?

Look for a machine shop supplier in your area.  Generally they sell bandsaw blades for the industry, and can weld up to 1 1/2
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

Thank You Sponsors!