iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Chain File, Single Cut or Double Cut

Started by Dixiebonsai, August 19, 2015, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixiebonsai

Gentlemen,
Here again, trying to gather as much knowledge as I can from your experiences.
My neighbor, an old school woodsmen, tells me my Oregon chainsaw file is Chinese junk.I need to know what brand has worked for you best?
I see these http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Files-Filing-Accessories/Round-Chainsaw-Files/WoodlandPRO-Round-Files/Windsor-Double-Cut-Round-Files-Dozen.axd and these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-12-PACK-WOODYS-8-x-3-16-CHAINSAW-FILES-FREE-SHIPPING-/171246971950?hash=it . Anyone have good things to say about either one? Or does anyone have another suggestion? So sick of ending up with Chinese junk in all walks of life.
Also, has single cut file or double cut worked best for you?

Respectfully,
Dixiebonsai

grassfed

I have always used 7/32 Oregon files because they were sold locally. I have been using 13/64 Pferd files for the past 2 weeks and I have decided that I like them better. The chain seems to cut faster and I think that I get more sharpenings out of each chain. So for what it is worth I am now going to use Pferd 13/64 s on my 73 lgx oregon chains. I do not know if it is the file or the size. The Oregon files would remove metal very fast. I do think that your neighbor is wrong about Oregon files. They are good quality and not Chinese made.
Mike

JohnG28

I like Stihl files, though they come in 13/64" as opposed to 7/16".  They may make a 7/16" also buy I've never seen them in the store. I like this size better on regular 3/8 chain, others do not. I have also liked Pferd and Save Edge files that I have tried.  Never cared for Oregon files myself.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

Better yet, shop at our Forum sponsors, such as Comstock Logging Supplies. They have files that you can trust.
See left column and support those who support the Forum.  8)

QuoteI like Stihl files, though they come in 13/64" as opposed to 7/16"

Think this is a typo and John means 7/32" instead of 7/16".   ;)
I use the 7/32" on my Stihl chains and at the end of the chain life switch to the 13/64" files. Find the Stihl files very adequate, as well as the Oregon that I've used over the years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

:D Yep, 7/32'', not a nearly 1/2" file! Thanks for the correction.  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

lumberjack48

I used a Nicholson file, i payed a little more, but i got 3 to 5 times or more filing out of one.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Pine Ridge

I usually buy stihl or oregon, had good luck with both of them.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

John Mc

Nicholson was a great manufacturer in their day. Like a lot of companies, they've farmed out a lot of their production overseas. I thought I'd heard their files were one of those products that got farmed out, but can't say for sure. If anyone sold them around here, I could look at the package and see, but I don;t see them around much.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

chevytaHOE5674

File a lot of chains on the processor and have found Save Edge files to hold up the best. Oregon seem to hold up the worst...

Philbert

A lot of it is personal preference.  STIHL, Oregon, Pferd, Save Edge, Vallorbe are all brands that get mentioned a lot.  Note that some files are available in different coarseness grades, as well as diameter, and many brand name files are 'private labeled' - made by one of the larger companies for different saw companies.

Best thing to do is to try a few for yourself. Files are a consumable item, and at $1 to $2 each in any quantity, they are a low risk to try. If you stick with the brand names, above, you may find that you like one brand better, but should not find any 'junk'.

Also, remember that files are essentially cutting tools with hard, brittle edges, and treat them as such.  Don't let them bang around in a tool box; wrap them in paper or keep them in soda straws to protect them.

Philbert

Grandedog

Howdy,
   If you wait til your chain is dull to sharpen, get single cut files. If you're the type that touches up your chain, get the double cut.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

BradMarks

Gradedog knows, he nailed it.  Single cut more aggressive, double cut smoother finish.  Personally I liked Pferd, but used what was available.  These days, I do so little cutting, I take what they hand me at the saw shop ;D

krustysurfer

We just bought a box of Save Edge files we will let you know after this summer season ends
You are Awesome and Loved By God! Aloha

Drew62

Bahco seem decent if you can get them-used to be sandvik I believe.All their stuff seems top notch-pruning saws/hand saws etc.
A slave to the machines.

wild262

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on August 19, 2015, 09:35:44 PM
File a lot of chains on the processor and have found Save Edge files to hold up the best. Oregon seem to hold up the worst...

Agreed.  I've tried them all.  So far Save Edge & Stihl are the only ones I use.  I use Pferd if I cannot get the other 2. 

gaproperty

Quote from: lumberjack48 on August 19, 2015, 03:18:51 PM
I used a Nicholson file, i payed a little more, but i got 3 to 5 times or more filing out of one.
I was looking to finding a file that would outlast the Oregon and sthil files.  Maybe I will try to find some. Thanks for the info.  
thanks
lostcaper.ca

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Drew62

Wondering how long do folks keep their files?Using stihl/bahco I tend to discard them after say 4-6 uses.On a side note I recall my metalwork teacher advising to leave your clogged-up files out in the rain till they went rusty,then wire brush the filings out.Works on coarser files well,not so sure with a chain file.
A slave to the machines.

lxskllr

Not sure how long they last, but I'd guess I use three files for the life of a chain. I'm pretty much using Stihl files exclusively, but next time I need something from Bailey's, I'm gonna get a dozen Pferd files. Heard good things about them, and they're half the price of Stihl bought locally. Cheap enough to gamble anyway. They only have to last half as long as Stihl to be even money, and enough people like them that I think they'll cut fine.

John Mc

Quote from: Drew62 on March 06, 2019, 01:24:20 PM
Wondering how long do folks keep their files?Using stihl/bahco I tend to discard them after say 4-6 uses.
I keep mine until it stops filing well. If I have to use much pressure, it's wearing out (or clogged with crud and needs to be cleaned)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Oregon files are good enough for Oregon chain .If you file Stihl chain the playing field changes .This is hard chain,it will peal the teeth right off of an Oregon file .Before too long it's about as effective as a 40D nail .Pfred and SaveEdge make files that are harder and less aggressive and work much better .I used to get them from a former sponsor on this site .I don't need any at the moment but when I do I'll find another place to buy them .

Drew62

Given the newish pferd 2 in file system looks likes its been rebadged and licensed out to stihl.Can't help pondering are stihl round files also pferd items stamped with the stihl badge?
A slave to the machines.

lxskllr

Pferd's German. Stihl files are marked Switzerland.

John Mc

Quote from: Drew62 on March 09, 2019, 03:12:54 PM
Given the newish pferd 2 in file system looks likes its been rebadged and licensed out to stihl.Can't help pondering are stihl round files also pferd items stamped with the stihl badge?
Actually, Pferd has been making them for years. The Stihl 2-in-1 is just a rebadged Pferd. Stihl does that with several of their hand tools (including their Peaveys and Cant Hooks, which are made by forum sponsor Logrite).  To Stihl's credit, in addition to making some great equipment of their own, they are very good at identifying top-notch tools to sell under their name.

EDIT:  Oops. Misread your post. I thought you were saying that Pferd was rebadging Stihl-manufactured equipment.

luvmexfood

Is Comstock still a sponsor? I can't find there banner anymore. 
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

hacknchop

As far as how long a file last it seems that the last one in the box last the longest. 
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!