iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar lumber

Started by ohsoloco, September 21, 2004, 08:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

I have some big tulip poplar logs sitting in the yard, and may be getting a few more, but I have never sold any of it before.  Is either the sapwood or heartwood considered a "defect" like a lot of hardwoods?  I may just sell these as logs since the smallest one is about 28", and I still don't have any support equipment, but this is something I've been wondering about  ???

Ron Wenrich

There is a sap market for tulip poplar.  It gives a little bit of premium, but is better suited for guys with a higher output.  I believe they use the saps for moulding.

There's a market for wide, clear poplar up in Clearfield at some veneer plant.  They'll take any thickness, as long as its 10 1/2" and wider and 8' in length.  Sap or heartwood makes no difference.

We've also sold tulip poplar to casket companies.  They're not as fussy about the grade.

When you get to defect, its usually best to put it into blocking.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dimension

I have a rotary veneer mill in Ohio and use some small amounts of poplar. Current need is 10-15 MBF. Send me an email with Qty etc if it's still available.

Paul Horstman
phorstman@nvgveneer.com

jgoodhart

Could always rent a Bobcat for the day to move onto the mill.

ohsoloco

I've been considering buying a skidsteer, but I don't think I have the coin to purchase the machine I need  :(    Would a skidsteer be able to pick up a 30+" diameter poplar log 8ft. long  ???

FiremanEd

ohsoloco,

Sure most any skid steer could handle that in 8' lenghts. Some of the older and smaller ones might have trouble but any mid sized and the newer ones should handle it without much problem.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

ohsoloco

Now if you could just help me with the coin problem...   :D

beenthere

You can get a skidsteer big enough to pick up that log, I am sure.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Left_Coast_Rich

Hey Dimension Do you have any pictures of that rotary veneer mill.  I have heeard about them but never saw one. LC Rich
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

J_T

ohsoloco Got a printice 210 I might part with that will do it  ??? What is coin ??? Was walking tru the wood's the other day and a limb slaped me on the back I didn't even trun and look just said I'll se you Sat. and kept on walking ;D ;D
Jim Holloway

ohsoloco

Coin is something I don't ever seem to have enough of...except to scrape by  :)  I have to make a phone call tomorrow or sometime in the near future about a skidsteer.  One of the teachers here at work is a farm-girl, and she gave me a guy to contact about used machinery.  About a year ago I was looking into log trailers w/ the loaders until I saw the price of one I thought could do the job I wanted  :o  I see log trucks go for a third of what they want for a new trailer.

Still waiting for my new boots so I can get out in the woods.  Old ones are falling apart, but then again I've had them since high school  ::)

J_T

Not bad if you graduated last year  :D Am waring last pair of Son's that fit  ;D only got half sole on right one . Wife says time to toss them I just got them broke in :D Need about 15 grand for 210 I think on forty foot tryler if I ant forgot .Wife says I sometime's stretch it a little ::) ::)
Jim Holloway

ohsoloco

Last year...I think they're still trying to find me for the 10 year reunioun  :D  That's pretty bad since I've lived in the same town my whole life  ???   Combat boots aren't the most comfortable work boots, but they last a long time  ;D

J_T

Like me one time they may not wanted to find you  ;D Some one said they couldn't find me even with all the new people in town knock on any three doors in a row and one of them will know me  ::) Sometimes that's bad ???When I was single if I had done half what folks said I did I would had to hired a night shift :D :D
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!