iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Master cylinder for Clark 664

Started by loggerman1959, August 18, 2015, 04:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

Got a late 70s 664 , master brake cylinder went out ....anyone know where I can find one ?

Plankton

Im sure someone who knows something will pipe in, I just got a clark 664 today that has no master cylinder so sometime this week I was going to go to my parts store and try to cross reference the part number and get it that way. So Ill know soon if you dont hear earlier.

loggerman1959

Thanks plankton , let me know how you make out .

treeslayer2003

y'all will see most are gone or the drum is gone. this because debri collects around the bake drum and catches fire. after a couple fires, owners will do away with one or the other.
i have seen guys make their own using a 3/4 ton pickup master cylinder and disc rotor, caliper and shoes.

its pretty flat here so i don't worry with it. i might have one on one of mine that would need rebuilt.........if i do its been inoperable for over 20 years.

vatkins

Plankton n loggerman1959 I just revamped the brakes on my 664. My brakes had been totally removed. The master cylinder brand new cost me 40.00 on e-bay. It bolts right n place with no modifying. I used a rotor, caliper n pads off my 04 chevy 2500. It was easy. The brakes stop the Skidder n hitch no problem. It's steep country here n Lincoln Vt. I'll try m get some pics up

vatkins

I'll try and get you the #'s off my paper work. But for now here's a pic of how I set the brakes up. It was way cheaper for me

snowstorm

whats up with the spline on that drive shaft? you might want to look that over

treeslayer2003

he has her turned on a lock for the pic?

North River Energy

Looks like one of those special Morse taper splines. :D

vatkins

Those splines are wore out my friends. I guess I'll be looking for a drive shaft soon enough if anyone has one kicking around. For now I hope it keeps working

HiTech

If you can get the numbers off it I am sure a local Napa store can order a rebuild kit. I had to get one for my Tree Farmer. It has 1 1/4" cups. I think the kit was around $20, works like new now.

vatkins

That's good to know. I' thought the splines shaft was welded to the u- joint cup mounts. Is it removable ? Never heard of this

treeslayer2003

Quote from: vatkins on August 23, 2015, 09:04:33 PM
That's good to know. I' thought the splines shaft was welded to the u- joint cup mounts. Is it removable ? Never heard of this
hitech is talking about master cylinders. but the universals are serviceable. a word of caution, do not run them untill loose, if they twist out it will break the little lip on each side of the yoke. the yoke won't hold a cup after that. if your joints get wore sloppy replace them before they fail. those yokes new are expensive.

Plankton

Been busy with haying  but I got my master cylinder yesterday,

I brought my parts manual to my local auto store and he looked at the drawing and got out this old yellowed book from underneath the counter flipped to a page and pointed to the exact one...no parts numbers or anything, oldschool parts guys are the best.

Carquest parts number: CWH MCA2796

cost me $60 even.

Thank You Sponsors!