Sponsors:

Forged in Fire

Started by Raider Bill, August 18, 2015, 12:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

@phishfarmer 

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

Anyone been watching this show?

They start with 4 blade-smiths and give them 4 hours to forge and heat treat a particular knife. Never know what the material is going to be. I've seen ball bearings, sledge hammer heads, scraps etc.

1 is voted off by a panel of Judges then the other 3 move on till another is voted off leaving 2.

These 2 have 5 days in their own shop to make a specific weapon again from supplied raw material.

Winner get's $10K

Me knowing nothing about smithing think its interesting to watch.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Ive watched it. I like it.  I also like cupcake wars. :D ;) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I have not seen it.  Thanks for the heads up. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

I've watched it a few times and I like it more than I expected. One time they used sections of old chainsaw chains.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Bruno of NH

I like the show very cool .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Gadrock

I am a blacksmith.  And yes I have forged quite a few blades. But I do not wish to present myself as  "Sour Grapes" so I will leave a few bits of what i observed before stopped watching.

From the beginning I wanted to see quality bladesmiths...but i did not.

Apparently what I saw was scripted, similar to Axe Men.

Blades can be constructed from just about anything, and can be a quality instrument for cutting. For the audience I did not see where  there was ever an expalnation of the differing qualities of differing metals. I stopped watching.

The program may have regained quality after I became dismayed at the first few shows. If I had to judge it would be on the "erase" mode in the recorder.

NOW for a  little of the good stuff. Ball bearings are generally made of 4150 steel or better is the 52100 stuff. You can google those number and become quickly lost but they are generally good hardenable material. And yes there are many more simple things such as a file or a rasp which is generally considerred  1095 high carbon steel or better. A simple great metal is a spring...considered to be 5160 steel. There is a dependable steel for may good uses.

I commend those that watch and learn from these type programs. Certainly I wished there were more on sawmilling and frame building.

And please excuse my lack of appreciation of the tv program.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

elk42

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

I wonder if the show was geared toward those that know all or those of us that enjoy seeing even a smidgin of how knives are smithed.

isawlogs

You had me worried when I read the title of this thread... You and fires are always scarryyyyyy......  :o

I want to watch the program ..  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

I would watch it for the same reason that I have watched Axe Men, Greatest Catch, & Louisiana Alligators.  Although there is much dramatization, there are some basic skills used that are totally beyond my limited circle of knowledge.  It's entertaining which I cannot say for most of the network programs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

As I stated earlier I like the show just need to remember that the drama is scripted. I know a bit about metals and they do show enough to convince me that they also know what they are doing, just adding some drama for the camera.

maple flats

I also watch and like the show. I like seeing the transformation from a piece of steel into a show piece. It amazes me how quickly they can turn a ball bearing (or 2 etc.) into a very good blade in generally 3 hrs. , then they give the remaining 3 another 3 hrs to craft a handle (and they are allowed time during that 3 hrs to address anything they need to from their first session.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Brucer

Many years ago National Geographic made a video on the "living treasures of Japan". One segment deals with the making of a traditional Japanese sword. It's a fascinating process.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Left Coast Chris

I liked it.  Most of the contestants appeared to have character and I enjoyed watching their techniques.   If naked and afraid can be nominated for an emmy, the field is wide open  :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Raider Bill

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on August 19, 2015, 11:44:18 PM
If naked and afraid can be nominated for an emmy,

You have got to be kidding!

DanG

Apparently you can double the ratings of any show by putting "naked" in the title.  ::) :D
They could do a show called "Naked Forging" but it would morph into "Dancing With the Sparks."

This show is aimed at folks who know little about smithing but want to feel that they are learning, but there are some lessons in there.  The biggest thing I have learned is what happens when you rush your work.  Most of the knives produced are defective just for that reason.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

gspren

It helps make you understand the cost of a quality hand made knife.

loggah

I havent watched the show,but i have dabbled in"crude" blacksmithing over the years and it is an "ART"A good friend of mine that is a artistic blacksmith has made me a throwing tommyhawk by laminating wrought iron around a hardend steel insert,and also a knife out of a chain saw chain,the handle still looks like a rusty chain and by forging the chain together it gives the blade a damascus looking finish.

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Bruno of NH

That's a cool knife .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

This knife that was custom made for me by John Neeman (Janus) is the last item that he personally forged under the "John Neeman" label before he adopted the "Autine" label.  It is forged from D2 steel and my initials are etched on the other side.

It has carved on 4 Pig Roast hogs.   :)

He also forged this Carpenter's Axe for me.

And he sent me this personally autographed DVD detailing his blacksmithing skills.

loggah

Lynn,Those are some nice! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Blacksmithing and Bladesmithing are fascinating skills.  I love watching the artistry as objects are formed.

sandhills

And to think I was proud of myself to make a couple tire irons out of sucker rod  :D.  Those are really nice guys!

Gadrock

Well the proof is in the pudding! The way they get persons to participate is from some other association. I got my invitation the other day. This receipt shows anattraction from blacksmith organizaions, etc. for a few years I had been the president over the Mississippi Forge Council so I am suspecting that to be the way I got my invitation.

So what is wrong with an invitation? I am not qualified to be on that show. Therre ae many smiths that ARE qualified and could possibly make a better casting than what I saw earlier.

What I am getting to is I would like to see quality bladesmiths on this program. That would show the integrity of the program.

Maybe we should start a section on quality forged or created cutting tools. How about it?

david Gaddis

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Thank You Sponsors!