iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garage sided

Started by repmma, August 18, 2015, 05:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

repmma

Finally got the garage sided, trim work still needed and finish boxing the eves in but the majority of the work is done.

Hemlock, 10" with 3" battens, screwed not nailed.  Tarpapered with vertical 1/2" thick hemlock strapping then horizontal 1x3 kd store bought strapping.  Puts the siding out a ways but the rain screen should really keep the siding well.  I just couldn't see laying the B&B up against the tar paper or even have just horizontal strapping as it seemed to me it would have killed the airflow. 

Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

goose63

Good looking garage wish I had one like that 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

snowstorm

2 moto skis ya dont see many of those anymore

thecfarm

And one old Ford truck,"76?
Like that garage. Like the high frost wall,siding,man I like it all!!!
Going to stain it or?? I put the used oil to the wife's horse run in. Could use another coat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

repmma

One Tundra LT and one Tundra but they don't compare to this fine machine I picked up!

I went overboard on the garage and challanged the "you can't have to big of a garage" theory.  Went with a 2' knee wall on top of the slab to hold off water damage to the walls.  Slab is insulated underneath and with wing insulation excepting the back which I still have to get in.

When asked what on earth I have that requires a 14' door... Nothing... Yet.  You never know!  I wanted three bays and I figured what the heck make the trusses higher in the center to use that wasted space with the benefit of a higher bay!

I'll probably end up staining it with a semi transparent, im not overly keen on a solid stain though I know it will last longer.  I may reach a point where I just let it go gray and distinguished.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

repmma

The Ford is a 78 F150 with a 351 4spd by the way.  There is a 78 one ton, flatbed, 400 with auto (c6?) beside it. 

thecfarm

Never know on the 14 foot part. Smart man.Very smart.
Sounds like you might be heating it? How?? That will help out. And than some.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

I love the look of the garage, and the truck  ;D.  Bought a '79 when I was 15, everyone laughed at me when I showed up at our 10 year class reunion and was the only one still driving what I had when we were in highschool  :D.

Magicman

That is a fine looking garage.  It will reward you for your labors for many years.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Smart move on the 14' door. When I built the first pole building on my farm I put in 12' doors thinking I'd never need higher, until 8 years later I bought a 5th wheel RV that was 12'8". Second building has a 14' door.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Warped

That's funny, was going to say my fiver would fit great in that center bay.......and would have no problem filling the other two with junk either. Very nice, take me a year of Sundays to cut that on my hobby mill!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

repmma

Thanks all!

Thecfarm, I'll heat when in use for now, with just firewood in a furnace yet chosen.  It would be nice to keep it at least at 50deg as it's going to be a bear to warm up but I didnt put much thought into radiant until it was to late... oh well, can't get everything right.  Compared to working in the snow and 0deg weather outside I'll have to be happy with a roaring fire and marginal heat.  Its 34x46, tall ceilings, I know It's going to be alot to heat...  still young and foolish, as long as the worst of the winter bite is held off I'll survive.

Haven't looked into what I should do when/if I decide to heat it straight thru the winter.  Scares me to think about the heating oil it would take. 

repmma

I love the old trucks with limited electronics and easier access for maintenance.  MPG may be on the low side but you've got to give something up when your riding in such style!

I wish I could claim sawing it all out.  Only the framing is off my land and mill.  I got so behind with the mountain of snow that I couldn't even get the siding out.  Pretty ashamed really.  Oh well, had to get er done!

thecfarm

50° with a sweatshirt on would feel mighty nice when it's 30 outside. Could always hung up some plastic to keep the heat out of the other bays.

brendonv

Awesome. Id up and leave my place tomorrow for a place like that.

You mentioned screwing the siding, can you elaborate on your placement on the boards?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

repmma

Quote from: brendonv on August 18, 2015, 09:10:08 PM
Awesome. Id up and leave my place tomorrow for a place like that.

You mentioned screwing the siding, can you elaborate on your placement on the boards?

I went with the screws thru the center of the board strategy.  2' distance.  The battens are screwed on with the screws going thru the crack between the boards.   Hopefully it works out.  They went up green and I couldnt see any better way 10" green hemlock could be secured without splitting badly. 

I had read about 2 screws 1/3 in from both sides or some variation similar, i just didn't see it as necessary.  Time will tell how wrong I am!

repmma

Quote from: thecfarm on August 18, 2015, 08:54:31 PM
50° with a sweatshirt on would feel mighty nice when it's 30 outside. Could always hung up some plastic to keep the heat out of the other bays.

Yeah pretty much what I figured!  The woodstove will be in between the "work bay" (future car lift side and field side so i can watch for predators getting into the chicken coop or deer for the freezer) and the center bay.  The far left bay is girl friends parking spot and who knows what else.

Chuck White

I like 3" bats on 10" boards!  8)

I always try to talk customers into going with those sizes, just a nice balance!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I did 4" batten. I feel it looks alot better than 2. I saw this on an out building and really liked it. I drove by it every day on the way to work. After months of seeing no one outside,I finally saw someone. I stopped and asked him about it and to get the correct sizes. He said there was a bundle deal at the sawmill just about 10 minutes from him,4" boards and 10" hemlock boards.

gww

I did 8 inch with 3 inch batton on a shed.  I would find it hard to come up with enough 10 inch boards to use 10 inch if it was a big project like the garage pictured.  Your garage looks great.
gww

repmma

I almost went with 10 and 4 but wanted more of the board showing.  Seems to be holding everything in place well so far. 

I estimated the siding with over run with not one good board to spare, i didnt intend for it to be that tight...  The last good defect free board was the last one to go up!  Good bit of trimming and utilizing the poor boards for the upper level where the junk could be cut out. 

Thank You Sponsors!