iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

necessity the mother of all invention

Started by plowboyswr, August 18, 2015, 01:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Andy White

plowboyswr,
Your projects are really good. The utility and design are over the top. The finish on that bench is shining all the way down here in Texas. I really like seeing your projects, and the children. They are the future of this country, and will need to learn from the best, so keep teaching them.    :) :) :P :P 8)   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

isawlogs

Nice work, great projects love that you are including the little ones to help!!!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ox

I like that reddish colored stain.  What is it?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

plowboyswr

If I remember right it is a red oak stain from minwax I'll have to double check.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

plowboyswr

Right on the color wrong on the company.

The lighter color on the microwave stand is a colonial maple I wasn't too impressed with it. But the red oak made the plywood look good.
Steve

Ox

Thanks for taking the time!  Your projects look very good to me.  They fit in perfectly on a farm.  I used to farm it and solid, nice looking furniture ruled the roost.  You did good!  As long as momma is happy, everyone is happy, right?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Brad_bb

Pine and cherry have a habit of blotching when stained.  Pine is the cheapest most common used for lower cost projects at home.  The trick to staining these woods is to pre-condition the wood with a conditioner like Charles Neil's blotch control.  https://youtu.be/IfCYMdrP8rM
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

plowboyswr

Quote from: Ox on September 07, 2015, 11:57:38 PM
Thanks for taking the time!  Your projects look very good to me.  They fit in perfectly on a farm.  I used to farm it and solid, nice looking furniture ruled the roost.  You did good!  As long as momma is happy, everyone is happy, right?
yeah and now that we are looking at moving she's not looking forward to leaving the cabinets that I've built. Oh well, ya gotta roll with life's punches. And yeah my thoughts are that anything that I build the kids will have to get rid of when I'm gone so it's gotta last. ;D
Steve

WDH

I thought that it was a felony to stain cherry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jemclimber

Quote from: WDH on September 09, 2015, 07:28:04 AM
I thought that it was a felony to stain cherry. 

I think it varies by location and might only be a misdemeanor in some places.  :D
lt15

plowboyswr

Okay, necessity has hit again and I need a little advice from the experts here. I am building a rocker of sorts and need to know how much eh... rise over run in the bow (I think is how I would put it) that a good rocker has. I have gotten to this point in my project and I'm stumped. This will be my first attempt at this and I really don't want to mess this part up. Normally I would consult my Dad but with him being gone... So I'm asking here.  ;)
Steve

Savannahdan

Don't know if this will help but I just measured the rocker on our front porch.  The rocker bow is 35" long, 2" thick, has 15" from the back leg and has what you're call a rise  of 3" on each rocker tip.  I'd recommend you use a thin strip as a guide to make your bow.  BTW, the front tip is rounded and the back tip has a angular cut to it.  Try it on some scrap wood.  Also, I like your projects and that you included the kids in the action. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Ox

31, 1.5, 10.5, 3.5, 1 - That's inches of length, from front leg to end, from back leg to end, ends of the runner from the floor, width of runner.  This is on a very old and simple rocker that will hold and handle me and I'm 6'2" tall and around 290 lbs.  I know, I know.  They're stacking it higher and wider these days.....

gww

plow....
:P
Watching is all I can offer cause you are too far ahead of me on the building for me to offer help.   
Cheers
gww

plowboyswr

Savannahdan and Ox thanks guys that is the Info I am hunting for! 8) ;D Gww you sell yourself too short. You did something I have never done, you built a saw mill i bought mine. :D  :D When I get this thing done I'm going to be posting pictures here. Hopefully sooner than later.
Steve

gww

Plow.....
QuoteWhen I get this thing done I'm going to be posting pictures here.
And I will be looking at them.
Cheers
gww

Thank You Sponsors!