iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another homemade mill nightmare

Started by jay_d, August 17, 2015, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay_d

first of all im a logger, not a sawyer. 98% of the logs i cut end up at GP, or West Fraiser, so talk slow im new to sawing.

picked up a homemade 12 foot bandsaw mill for 500 bucks. had a cheesy little 5 hp honda clone on it. swapped it over to a 11 hp gx340. the mill has made straight lumber before (its evident from the rough sawn 1x4s used to make the roof.) ive addressed the drive belt slipping, so i dont think thats the reason she is diving 4 inches in the cut. its a new cooks blade, idk the specs. it gives fits with the band jumping out of the guides and trying to ride on top or down below.
Its tight enough to make a low sounding thong when you pluck it. the guides are kind of ghetto sporting one woodmizer style toward the drive pulley, and a sand which style guide on the other side. as far as i can tell they are not adjustable.
the tracks seem level and square. the carriage has a tendancy to shimmy while in a cut kind of like one side is leading the other. I know you guys like pictures and i intend to get a few as soon as this rain stops. one more thing, when you loosen the pillar bearings on the non drive side to tighten the blade the angle on the bandwheel gets out of whack and it trys to throw the blade, idk how to keep the pulley lined up and tighten the band. I sort of think i might have changed the set in the blade while monkeying with the pulley trying to line the blade up. I think this rig is a pile of junk, but id at least like to saw enough decent wood to pay for it.

Magicman

Hello jay_d, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about adding your location to your profile.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Jay, where are you located ?  Welcome. Frazer West and GP sounds like south arkansas.  If plucking the blade goes thunk, it's not tight enough, needs to go tink.. Diving in the cut is almost always blade or guides or both. What kind of bandwheels ?  We need pics, help doing that is available if you need it.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sandsawmill14

welcome to the forum  :)  pics of how you adjust the band tension would help but it sounds like its out of alignment and probably rolled the set out of the blade. this is at least one thing that could cause your problems
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

jay_d

im actually located in north east ga, but i work in the western upstate of sc. The pillar bearings move to adjust the blade tightness, my problem is they move independently of each other. has around a half inch to three quarters of adjustment. its all really crude the way they made it, torch cut slots, etc.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you took the set out of the blade or the blade isn't flat.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kbeitz

When you changed the engine did you change the pulley?
You got to keep the speed up....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jay_d.

It just seems like there should be another way to tension the blade without moving the pillow-block!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You may be dealing with an unworkable design.  Share some pictures. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MSSawmill

Sounds similar to the kind of issues we had when we bought ours. I hate to tell you this, but we ended up tearing it down and building it anew!  :D But, we built the new one based on a ton of knowledge gained from the forum, so post some pics and get us some details.

FWIW, our diving/climbing issues came down to bad, non-adjustable blade guides and not enough tension on the blade.

Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum jay_d. On my little mill if the blade is not tensioned properly it will cause wavy cuts. With a new blade I usually have to retension it after about 20 minutes of  cutting. The pillow blocks  should be tied together so it is easy to replace a blade or release the blade tension at the end of a day cutting. Post some pics of your mill.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jay_d

ran late at work today. (skidder blew a line in the belly pan) didnt have a chance to take pictures of the mill. how would you guys think the best way to tension the blade indepentley of the pillar bearing? Ive been working of some adjustable guides, and ive almost got them finished. How much adjustment up and down should guides have?

what degree do you guys set your band wheels at to maintain good blade tracking?

Ga Mtn Man

You need enough vertical adjustment to give at least ¼" downward deflection of the blade and also be able to lift the guides off of the blade to make tracking adjustments.  ½" total adjustment range would be enough but ¾" would be even better.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

jay_d

Ga Mtn Man

South of Blairsville about 20 miles.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!