iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are there Trees in S. Dakota?

Started by Corley5, September 21, 2004, 04:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

We're about to find out ;D  Dee, Zach and I are leaving here momentarily.  We've got a stop in Rochester Mn. to pick up an old tractor then a couple stops around Walnut Grove for some Laura Ingalls Wilder stuff ( Deee likes her)  then on to Souix Falls S.D. to see her ralatives.  Going to the Pioneer Acres tractor show in Menno on Sat and hope to make it to Mitchell to the Corn Palace.  Coming home I want to stop at the Pipestone Monument.  Gonna be a busy week seeya all next Wednesday ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CHARLIE

Have a fun safe trip!  Too bad your trip wasn't a few months earlier when I lived in the area. I'd have met up with y'all in Rochester.

I heard a report once that a tree was found in South Dakota. A bunch of us piled  in a car and drove over there to see.  It turned out to be a bush. People in South Dakota have never seen trees and they thought the bush was a tree. It was headline news in all their and North Dakota newspapers.

There is an outdoor play in South Dakota about Little House On the Prairie. I can't remember the town but we took our children to it years ago and it was pretty good.  Apparantly the Ingall family moved all over. The house Laura was born in
is close to Pepin, Wisconsin, which is on the Mississippi River. Then they went to Walnut Grove which is close to Mankato, Minnesota, then to South Dakota and ended up in Missouri I think.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Mansfield Missouri is where she and her family ended up -------not too far from where we live.  We used to go by their home when I was a kid and she still lived there.  

I still enjoy reading her books.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

oldsaw

Labor day weekend.  Rollag, MN, about 40 miles out of Fargo/Moorhead.  If it isn't the biggest, it is certainly one of them.  Western Minnesota Steam Threshers.

Used to go when I was a kid and it was pretty small...that was over 30 years ago.  Now it is kind of a monster.  Haven't been for 15 years or so, but want to take my boys up there one of the next couple of years.  I grew up less than 20 miles from there.

Yeah, I know it is the other side of MN, but you will love the show.  Lots of steam.  They even have an old locomotive that circles the grounds, which are now quite extensive.  Do a search, they don't show much, but you can get an idea anyway.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

stumpy

A guy I used to work with, grew up in S. Dakota and said that it is so barron, the state tree is a telephone pole.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Corley5

Made it back last night.  Quite a trip.  There are trees in S. Dakota shelter belts but for the most part they don't amount to much ;D.  Corn and beans lotsa corn and beans corn and beans for miles and miles acres and acres corn and beans..............

Murf

Hmmmm, now lets see, very few trees, and corn & beans as far as the eye can see .......

So I presume it is a very WINDY place, pun intended..... :D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Time to shuffle outta' here before they start throwin' stuff after that joke.....
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Corley5

Aside from all the corn and beans ::) it was a great trip and actually I enjoyed the ag especially when there was silage chopping, and high moisture corn combining going on.  Neat stuff 8) on a WAY bigger scale than anything around here.  In some places they were also beginning to run soybeans.  The directions to Dee's aunt and uncle's included"look for two rows of evergreens beside the drive with soybeans on both sides".  The bean part might as well have been a joke ;) ;D.  The evergreens were some kinda pine.  The family didn't know what kind they were but my guess ??? is Ponderosa.  They looked kinda like a cross between red and scots pine with longer needles.  Some of them were pretty big as they were planted in 1929.  Shoulda taken the 372 along and brought some logs back ;D.  The Corn Palace was pretty cool but the Cabela's in Mitchell was my favorite.  Found a Leatherman there that fit the bill.  I've been wanting one but they've all got too much stuff on them and are too heavy to carry in a pocket.  They had a Sideclip there that is just right.  Just pliers, a knife blade and some screw drivers 8) 8)  The tractor show in Menno was one of the best shows that I've ever been to. http://www.pioneeracres.com/  Not real big but very well put together with lots of stuff and a good flea market.  They were sawing some kind of pine on their mill and doing a nice job once they got the blade sharp ;D  The pine had a much different smell than our pines.  I've got some pics to post after they come back.  Dad and I went to Rollag last year and it is without a doubt one of the grandest of the old engine shows 8) 8) ;D  Sioux Falls has a pretty nice zoo also.  Zach really liked it.  We stopped in Walnut Grove Mn and De Smet SD for Ingalls Wilder things.  De Smet has the play.  Stopped in Hanley Falls on our way back at the   http://www.mnmachinerymuseum.com/  This was really  8) 8) 8)  Lotsa nice old tractors, automobiles and yes old engines even a drag saw ;) ;D  Monday we also stopped at the Mall of America in the Twin Cities.  WOW what a place.  We spent the better part of six hours  :o there and could have spent more time especially if we'd have done any of the rides in Camp Snoopy.  It sure is good to be HOME.  We've gotta go back to Sioux Falls next year as Dee's Uncle Leo GAVE me a 1946 H Farmall with a front end loader on it 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) and it RUNS 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D  I just didn't have room on this trip to bring it back and it's a good excuse to go back.  Might go a couple weeks later for the SD pheasant opener or go about the same time and take the 22-250 along for some prairie dog shooting.  Dee's Uncles are both hunters 8) 8)  Looking forward to next year.  Corn and beans corn and beans corn and beans.......... ;)        

Buzz-sawyer

You must of accidentally been drivinn through Illinois Corely :)

BEAN CORN BEAN KIRK ALLEN CORN BEAN BUZZ-SAWYER CORN BEAN ;D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Corley5

oldsaw

And I mean that in the most manly of ways.

I've been pumping up the corn palace to my boys (6 and 10) for the past 2 years.  I can't wait to see the letdown on their faces when they actually see it.  I know it sounds mean, but my oldest will laugh his backside off.  I'd rather go to Cabela's too.  We got a biggie in KC last year, but haven't found the time.  But, we have a Bass Pro going up not 10 miles from my house.  Should be done in a year.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

sawguy21

Was in a bar in Sioux Falls one Saturday night. The two beertenders were going to close, drive to a Vikings game, then drive back for work on Monday. Claimed this was a regular occurence. Probably not a lot else to do in SD on Sunday if you dont go to church The best part was very decent beer in 25 oz glasses and it was cheap compared to ours. Even with the exchange rate, Canadian beer and cigarettes were cheaper than at home
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skeeter

Thanks for leavin' Iowa out of all them bean and corn jokes !!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Skeeter

whitepe

There used to be trees in South Dakota but Mark Mathys
drove down there and sawed them all into lumber.
He is now working on North Dakota.   :D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Thank You Sponsors!