iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green Spirit

Started by Jeff, March 17, 2002, 05:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I found this to be an interesting website. Let me know your impressions...

http://www.greenspirit.com/index.cfm
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

certainly seems to be a different and enlightened point of view from an environmentalist.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tillaway

I'll have to do a little more poking around...  :P
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

DanG

I read the entire section titled "Trees Are The Answer."  I must say that Mr. Moore seems to be a true voice of reason. His point of view supports the notion that most "activism", while true in spirit, is born of ignorance. It usually is perpetuated by someone who has figured out a way to make money from it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Yesterday I wrote Mr. Moore a note asking him to stop by and share his views. I recieved a note back this morning that said he would quote "signup" as soon as he got back in town. I look forward to what he may have to add to the forum.

DanG

Good thinkin' Jeff. I'll be looking forward to some lively interaction between him and our own ex-spurts. 8) 8) 8) :P :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bud Man

I await his "SIGN-UP"  Have always admired his tenacious efforts.  His book "Trees Are The Answer"  speaks in terms of Silvic's and not Silviculture.  He sees The Big Picture, and brings Education into perspective, showing most extremist's  as being uneducated or suffering from tunnel vision as it pertains to an indivual's  particular interest or an industries economic greed.      Take Very good Notes !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Jeff

I also read in its entirety, Trees Are The Answer.  I would say it is recommended reading for all members of this forum to say the least.

Texas Ranger

The man speaks my heart.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

swampwhiteoak

I bought his book about a year ago.  Nice pictures and he speaks my mind on many issues.  The book dwells heavily on the Pacific NW and BC in particular but I still found it interesting.

Tillaway

I read trees are the answer too.  Refreshing view, I hope the word spreads.  8)

PeterRennie

A tad of history on Patrick Moore.

His dad has been a major logging contractor on the north end of Vancouver Island for years. And he paints all his equipment pink.

Patrick was one of the founding members of Greenpeace when they were trying to stop the atmospheric nuclear testing in the Aluetian Islands.

timberbeast

Firstly,  I see his views on forestry as refreshing coming from an "environmentalist".  However,  he seems to be proud of stopping the harvest of baby seals,  which are now dying of disease due to overpopulation,  and the people who depended on them for livelihood are now on the public dole.
He also seems to be proud of stopping nuclear testing.  That was not influenced in any way by Greenpeace,  but was a byproduct of the collapse of the financial status of the Soviet Union.
He acknowledges that mankind is a part of the natural chain of events when it comes to forestry,  but fails to recognize that mankind is also a part of the natural food chain.
Is he still affiliated with Greenpeace?  I found nothing to state that he is not.
Greenpeace is a terrorist organization which spikes trees in order to injure human beings.  Unless he disavows ties with Greenpeace,  in my opinion,  HIS opinion is to be taken with as much trust as Bin Laden's.
Friends of Bin Laden most likely have a similar site.
I mean no offense to anyone,  just expressing my individual opinion......
Where the heck is my axe???

swampwhiteoak

Beast,

He hasn't been involved with Greenpeace for some time.  Do an internet search on his name and you'll find a few enviro sites that aren't too kind to him.  He is accused of being a traitor.  What makes him an effective lobbist from some peoples' standpoint is that he was one of the founders of Greenpeace yet he is for cutting forests and managing trees which goes against todays enviro stance.  

Bud Man

I think we need to analyze where he's been and where He's At Now.  Don't know too many people whose evolving years can past the total closet search without finding a skeleton or two,( I know I can't)  But Mr. Moore's book, Trees Are The Answer is written in terms of seeing the big picture in it's entirety. To me he's an action person who has evolved from possibly impulsive actions in the past to understanding that today The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword.  We better all allow a little bit of room within our selves for understanding Enviornmental realities before we lose sight of The Big Picture.  These Enviro groups are bigger than most folks realize and generate tremendous cash flows and are involving millions of people and they are getting bigger every day..  When we as a person or as a  segment of an industry think we can win in an issue because we are biologically or scientifically right, we are forgetting we live in a society where Democracy rules and every vote counts.  I can forgive or forget an error of comission much more than an error of omission. Most Americans make errors of omission and live in a world of wishful thinking and that won't get It. We are being lulled to sleep by the media and politicians and the 24 hour news that has a lot of people tuning themselves out to what is really going on. We all need to get involved and actively participate in our chosen profession and passions so we can continue to own and manage lands and make intelligent informed decisions that we can justify in an ever increasingly scrutinizing society. Ignorance and lack of seeking improvement through education is the enemy.  I don't want to alarm anyone but the Idiot's are becoming groups and are massing and are about to take control in our Democracy in more and more areas. We better get off our Butts and strive to better ourselves and justify our own actions and quit looking for faults in everyone else.  "Participate- Join - Make Errors of Comission Not Omission"
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Tillaway

Well said Bud Man. 8) :)

timberbeast

Well noted and understood!
Could it be that my own dislike for "environmentalist" types,  as defined by the majority of them these days clouds my own perception,  and relegates me to be as closed minded as those I disagree with??  That may be so.  Not hard to accept,  we all have our faults,  I admit that this is one of mine.
The man makes sense,  yet his past affilliation  with Greenpeace makes me prejudicial towards him.  Admittedly.
Sometimes I can't see the forest.................
I think that stems from the fact that I have my own patch of wilderness which I care for,  nurture,  profit from and preserve.  And most importantly,  enjoy.   Without any manipulation from outside sources.  His opinion carries the same importance as mine,  except upon my land.  We must remember that this really is not a democracy.  It's a republic based upon individual rights.  A democracy is rule of the mob.  "The main danger of this republic is that some day it may degenerate into a democracy."  Benjamin Franklin.
It may be semantics to some,  but to me it defines what this country should be about.  Personal responsibilty.
I feel an obligation to my land,  to preserve it for future generations,  and to be a good steward.  I choose to,  and most rational people do,  as well.
It would seem,  on reflection,  that Mr.  Moore is much the same and that my reaction was somewhat knee-jerk.
My apologies,  as I stand corrected.

Bud Man

Jeff B,  Have you heard any more of Mr. Moore's possible sign on date ??

Jeff

Nope, I sure haven't. I wrote him again and got no reply. He's either busy, or looked in and our humor made him run... ;)

I do hope he still shows, I have heard since that he is a very busy guy and in high demand as a speaker.

Jeff

If Mr. Moore was to show here, I am sure my job would get tougher.

His presence gets noticed.

Read this on how Greenpeace stopped one of his speaking engagements.

http://www.greenspirit.com/logbook/the_log.cfm?booknum=1

timberbeast

I'm really starting to like this guy! :)

Bud Man

Mr Moore don't seem to know the word reverse or stop.  It's full steam ahead !!   He ain't askeered to mix it up and ain't bashful and loads his guns before he runs his mouth !!

Thank You Sponsors!