iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess What???

Started by caveman, August 17, 2015, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

The leaves are alternate and compound, bark is relatively smooth somewhat like a crape myrtle.  This tree is at Desoto Memorial in Bradenton, Florida.  I bet someone will properly identify it today.
Caveman
Caveman

clearcut

Tourist tree?   aka Gumbo limbo

Bursera simaruba
Carbon sequestered upon request.

goose63

Yup Tourist tree just try running that through the mill
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WDH

We don't have those around these parts. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

I knew it would not take y'all long.  I figured it might be a new one for some of you.  I have seen a bunch of them but have never sawn one. They do not like cold weather and seem to thrive in the heat and humidity. 
Caveman
Caveman

clearcut

You made it too easy - form, bark, leaves, fruit, and native to the location.

Having lived in Florida for a while did help.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

WDH

That is one that I did not know, but then again, I have never ventured that far South in Florida. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

This may be familiar to some of you.   

Caveman

caveman

No clues.  Does anyone want to identify the tree pictured above?
Caveman

mesquite buckeye

Looks kind of like olive, but the leaves are alternate.

Also appears to be very fuzzy. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Looks like sand live oak, Quercus geminata.

sprucebunny

Looks like an azealea or rhododendron to me.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

BradMarks

My first thought was rhody, but it doesn't look like flower buds have set.

WDH

Those bi-color, revolute leaves that look tomentose on the underside is what leads me down this path. 

caveman

Quercus cinera or blue jack oak.  It used to be a tree that was used on the Florida FFA state contest specimen list.  It has been removed.  It looks to me like a leaf shaped sort of like a laurel oak (lancate) and revolute like a live oak.   
Caveman

WDH

I have seen it before.  One of the sandhill scrub oaks. 

caveman

There are some sand live oaks near this tree. I was out collecting samples this afternoon and was disappointed to find that the only cottonwood that I know of within 150 miles of here was cut down (it was growing in a park).  Also, last week when I went to get a black walnut dendro sample at our local middle school there were no leaves, the tree had died since my last visit.  There are not a lot of walnut trees around here.  I guess I need to plant some more trees around my house just to use for leaf samples.
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

When I collected for the dendro contests, I had a route that took about 3 hours to run to collect the majority of samples.  The mountain species, like pitch pine, table mountain pine, and black birch were the most difficult for me to get, and I had to make a very long trip to get them.  Too long for the majority of contests. 

Planting some of the hard to get species is the way to go if they will survive in Florida. 

sandhills

caveman, if you need some cottonwood leaves I could sure send you some, I have to go cut one off a fence today that blew down in a storm.  Just pm me if you want some.

caveman

Thanks, Sandhills.  I have one of my former students looking for one on campus at Gainesville.  He usually comes home each weekend.  If he cannot find one, I would love for you to send me a sample.  We had a decent practice this afternoon.  We worked on dendrology, compass and pacing, and map interpretation.  The kids lasted about three hours but it was 96° degrees when they got out of school at 2 p.m.  I have been reluctant to take them into the woods to do timber cruising yet.  We have had so much rain this summer that the mosquitoes are relentless right now-if you stop there are hundreds of the pesky rascals trying to drain you.   
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

The stems of cottonwood toward the end of the stem at the bud is square-shaped.  Or, maybe better said, there are angled ridges.  If you cut the twig off and look at the end grain pith, the pith is star shaped. 

caveman

Sand Liveoak

I took a quick picture of this today while at forestry practice.  You can contrast it with the bluejack oak earlier in this topic and see the difference in the leaf shapes (if interested). 
Caveman
Caveman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

caveman

It was in a yard where a crack house used to stand across the street from the school.  They are not all that ugly but I really did not have time to search for the ideal specimen.  They look just about like a regular live oak but the leaves are a bit tougher, a little more revolute and the underside is a darker color.  The trees themselves tend to be smaller (scrub type trees).  This area also has turkey oaks, longleaf pines and some laurel oaks.
Caveman

WDH

Those leaves are bad revolute  ;D. 

Thank You Sponsors!