iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bow in small fresh cut beams

Started by fishfighter, August 17, 2015, 01:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Knew this was going to happen, but I'm cutting some red oak 2.5"x 6"x14' beams. I want to keep the live edge and the trees I cutting these beams are about 16"-18" at the butt ends.

The question is, with a arch from cutting the pith center(tension), that would go to the up side. Will in time, will they lay back down? Or should I just cut the arch out now? These beams will not support any weight but themselves.

Oh, fresh fell trees

sigidi

They won't straighten and eben if you cut the sawn edge straight they will still bend. Leaving the natural edge means you've left the sapwood on and that is where the tension is.
Always willing to help - Allan

fishfighter

Thanks, kind of knew that was going to happen. Firewood pile for that cut. Pulled 4 21/2" slabs and before splitting them, guess I will pull some sap wood off.

Brucer

Usually you can get away with sawing the arch off. Just remove the absolute minimum wood.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

fishfighter

14' and the arch in the center was over 1". ;D

mesquite buckeye

Those beams are ideal. We call them prestressed. Load them up with lots of weight, like a roof and they become perfect. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

deadfall

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 18, 2015, 10:59:39 AM
Those beams are ideal. We call them prestressed. Load them up with lots of weight, like a roof and they become perfect. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

We're talkin' some serious specialty wood here. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Thank You Sponsors!