iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening large cross cut saw.

Started by Dave Shepard, August 16, 2015, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I have a 42" one man cross cut saw I'd like to play with. I've done a little bit of sharpening and cleaning and have gotten it cutting, but I think it has a lot more potential. I have not jointed the teeth and rakers because I don't know what their relationship to each other is. Do they get set to the same height, or are the rakers slightly less proud than the teeth? I've seen two man crosscuts at the competitions cut an 8"x8" poplar cant in three strokes in about two seconds, so I know this saw has the potential to cut pretty fast compared to a 26" hand saw that I would normally use for cutting timbers, I'm just not sure how to proceed. Anyone here sharpen these saws? It has a left and right set tooth, then a fish tail raker then another left/right tooth. I believe it's called a Tuttle pattern saw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

The cutters need to end up higher than the rakers. The idea being the cutters cut the wood fibers and the rakers come along and scoop (rake) it out. Very hard to cut wood with the rakers going first, followed by the cutters.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brian_Weekley

Dave,

I have a 1/2 man timber saw I've wanted to try sharpening too.  Here's an informative "how to" on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/FrYsFlx3OSY

Brian
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the manual, Jeff, that looks like just the sort of thing I was looking for. Brian, I'll watch that when I get home. That is the same tooth pattern I have.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

addicted

Hi Dave,
I've got an old saw with the same tooth pattern and in need of a new handle, rust removal, and I'm sure a good tune up as well. Did you have any success with the manual? Sounds like a good winter project.
Rusty

UpInATree

Awesome info.  I bought one at auction, and now I can restore it  :P
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

AlaskaLes

Now I'm going to have to find one of these...just so I can learn the process.
Very informative video, Thanks.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Thank You Sponsors!