iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 480 vs Waratah 480

Started by Mike_M, August 16, 2015, 12:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_M

Greetings,
                 Is there a difference between a John Deere 480 and a Waratah 480 harvester head? Or is the JD just a Waratah painted yellow? Looking at a JD 653E and was considering putting a JD 480 head that is for sale separate of the machine. Were the 480 heads available with a top saw? Thanks Mike.

Ken

Should be the same head although a different color.  I think to get a top saw you have to move up to the 600 series Waratah heads. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Mike_M

Thank you Ken. Do you run Waratah heads? We have an old 230 Waratah that we will occasionally put on our John Deere log loader, but would like a dedicated machine.

snowstorm

is this going to process on the landing or in the woods? you mite want to look at a keto also. there are a lot of them on the left coast. and quadco has a guy in longveiw wa that is real good. i call him when i have a problem with my keto i cant figure out

Mike_M

It will be working a bit of both, but mostly working on the landing. We hand fall most of our timber, but occasionally get into smaller thinning jobs. The Keto looks like a nice head. We have been very happy with our older Waratah and have a good service and support dealer close to our operation. We are not a very high production outfit, mostly doing our own family timberland and occasionally some outside work.

1270d

I believe it's possible to get a top saw on the new h415 head.    If you are processing from decks the 480 probably isn't the best because of the knife configuration.

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on August 16, 2015, 06:38:40 PM
If you are processing from decks the 480 probably isn't the best because of the knife configuration.

I have been running a 480 for the last year and a bit and have to agree that it is not the best head for picking up wood from a deck or off the ground.   My older 762 Waratah was better for that application.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!