iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 drive issues

Started by cougarman42, August 15, 2015, 09:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cougarman42

Hi all,
I've just joined this forum as I have a forward drive issue on my 06 LT40 hyd that I've had from new. I've checked all the obvious mechanical things ie. jams, tight rollers etc and taken the drive motor off so there is no load at all. I've learnt through this forum alot of guys seem to have had the same issue, no forward drive but it will reverse, and everything else works fine. It was good a few weeks ago and has only sat for maybe 4-5 weeks, previously its been all winter and no probs in the spring. Its normal these things happen on a weekend when WM are closed but I was hoping someone could advise?? Thanks.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, cougarman42.  Yup, it seems that things happen on weekends.  My first call would be to WM Monday AM for support and whatever parts are needed. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cougarman42

Yeah that was my plan, it seems to be a common issue with circuit boards eh?

Magicman

The only time that I have had that problem it was a solenoid/relay and not a circuit board.  The obvious thing to check are drum switch contacts.

Please add your location and sawmill to your profile which will help with future questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

A call to wm is the logical action. Have a test light or voltmeter handy when you call. If you want to fiddle with it, here's a few things to try. Key switch on, drum switch in fwd, and speed control knob all the way down.  Check for +12 volts on both terminals on the feed motor. If you don't the progression is back to the 2 big solenoids inside the left cover, thence to the fwd/rev drum switch, then to a couple of circuit breakers. You should feel the solenoids click when the fwd control is moved from neutral to fwd. On a 9 yr old mill, burned contacts on a solenoid or a broken or bent  finger on the drum switch would be a high probability.
If you do have 12 volts on both terminals of the motor, then the likelyhood of electronic problems is high, although broken drum switch is possible.
In either case, you probably will need parts.
Post what the solution turns out to be, You may help someone else with a similar problem..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Brucer

First, an outline of how the feed system is wired. When the drum switch is set to the FWD position, it switches the speed control board into the motor feed. When the drum switch is in the REV position, the speed control board is bypassed completely. The speed control knob turns a potentiometer that adjusts the control board output.

The manual for your '06 mill has a section on troubleshooting the speed control circuit (it's in section 6.6 in my manual). This tells you how to isolate problems by looking at LED's on the circuit board.

Before you call WM, it would be a good idea to open up your control panel and find those LED's.

I always remove the negative battery lead before I open the front or back of the control panel. Once it's opened up I make sure there are no wires touching any metal. Then I reconnect the negative battery lead.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Chuck White

Quote from: Brucer on August 16, 2015, 01:21:41 AM
First, an outline of how the feed system is wired. When the drum switch is set to the FWD position, it switches the speed control board into the motor feed. When the drum switch is in the REV position, the speed control board is bypassed completely. The speed control knob turns a potentiometer that adjusts the control board output.

The manual for your '06 mill has a section on troubleshooting the speed control circuit (it's in section 6.6 in my manual). This tells you how to isolate problems by looking at LED's on the circuit board.

Before you call WM, it would be a good idea to open up your control panel and find those LED's.

I always remove the negative battery lead before I open the front or back of the control panel. Once it's opened up I make sure there are no wires touching any metal. Then I reconnect the negative battery lead.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, cougarman42.

Another safety precaution that I do whenever I open the control panel, and the power will be on, is to take a length of small gasoline line that I have split the full length and slid that over the bottom lip of the opening on the control panel front access.

Doing this will prevent hot wires from contacting any metal!  Don't ask me how I know!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: pineywoods on August 15, 2015, 10:48:56 PM...If you don't the progression is back to the 2 big solenoids inside the left cove
FYI, my 2012 LT40 non-Super doesn't have these solenoids. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Cougarman42
My LT40 experienced the same problem.  After some tests, under the guidance a WM Tech on the phone, it was determined a electronic module that controlled the forward motion was defective.  The next day I received a replacement part and was running again just a few minutes.  The tech advised me that I should turn down the speed control knob before reversing the head. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

cougarman42

First of all thanks for all the replies, it helps to talk it over with experienced sawyers.
I checked the drum switch first and there is power in the right places, with the drum switch in forward there is 12v on both motor terminals. The LED's on the control module show power and OL which I assume is overload although with the motor unbolted and even the pulley removed there is no load. The motor brushes are fine on inspection so I'm thinking electronic sounds likely? I guess the pot for the speed control could be at fault too, anyone know how to test it?

deadfall

Quote from: cougarman42 on August 16, 2015, 01:28:00 PM
I guess the pot for the speed control could be at fault too, anyone know how to test it?

Out of the circuit with an ohmmeter. That's not from under my W-M sawyer hat, but my long ago navy Electronics Tech hat.  I should let the W-M experts tell you.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

cougarman42

Ok I'll call tomorrow and I'll post the result after I get sorted out! Thanks to all again, happy milling.

pineywoods

OK, more checks. If you have +12 on both motor terminals, that says the speed control package is not pulling one terminal to ground to make the motor go. The speed control pot feeds that little black plastic module with the lights on it. One of the lights is labeled "in". with the key switch on, the in light should should go from dim to bright when you turn up the speed control. Likewise the light labeled "out". One final check. Find the blue wire coming out of the speed control module. There is a slip-on terminal on the end that connects to a push-on terminal on the main board. Pull it off. Use a jumper wire to momentarily connect +12 volts to the terminal on the main board. If the motor runs, the speed control module is bad, if not, it's the mosfet assembly which is actually the back cover on the control box. Most likely the speed control module bad. Take the back cover off to get to it. When installing a new one, change 1 wire at a time, they are color coded.

OH BTW, pull the negative cable off the battery before you go messing around in there....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sparks

Heris a test proceedure for you circuit board.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!