iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New owner. New videos 07/23/2021

Started by Satamax, August 15, 2015, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Fixed the third claw. A connector stripe in the electrical box was flakey.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

slider

Good to see you back up and going .
al glenn

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

Satamax

Happy chappy!

I found why i was overheating. Running on a weird 256vac setting at 50hz, following the hertz meter on the generator. Which is completely off.

So upped a notch, to the other setting. Checked with the DMM, and bang on. I have 376vac, and 53hz. Normally here it's 380/415vac, and 50hz. But no wonder why the engine was overheating. Trying to run a saw with a 22 or 29kw motor. On 256v three phase, when it's meant to run on 380!

Did all right yesterday. It was big to deal with about 2ft at the bottom. And about 26-27ft long.

Satamax

Little job for myself today.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Satamax on November 18, 2017, 07:51:22 AM
Little job for myself today.

Wow I would love to see some of your country... Looks like you got some real hills.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

Well, pop around if you want!

There's a 10000ft mountain, right behind the saw. And on the other side of the valley, i have 12000 on the other side.

Right here

Kbeitz

Looks like bear country...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

We've got deers, european antilopes, called chamois. Wild rams. Plenty of birds and hares. Marmots. Wolwes. But no bears. Plenty of chairlifts too. I have been working on those for the last 25 years.

scleigh

@statamax , do you ever watch the Tour de France when going across the Galibier?

Satamax

I hate it! Can't stand them dang cyclists. The Galibier is just next door. On my village's land. About 12/13 miles of mountain road to get to the Galibier from my place.  And cyclist of the whole world come here, thinking they own the place. Not respecting the road signs nor trafic lights. Riding downhill in the middle of the road. With trucks, campers, cars, and us workers, in the middle trying to earn a living. No lights, nor high vis jackets in the tunnels etc. Every year, there some of them getting killed. And nothing changes.

To explain. The 10 miles from here to Briançon, take 12 minutes in the inter season. In June, when the cyclists arrive, but there is not too much trafic. Nor much cyclists.  It takes ten more minutes. Comes July, with the tour de France addicts. It takes 30 to 40 minutes. I tell you, if you do the trip 4 times a day. It gets old fast!  Loosing 1h 20 minutes a day for those cyclists.

Satamax

The only thing which should be allowed in the Galibier, is this.

Just at the trafic light at the entrance of the Galibier's tunnel, on the Savoie side (Valloire)

JRWoodchuck

[/quote]

What kind of tree is this Satamax? It looks real similar to our Western Larch.  Real pitchy toward the butt.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Satamax

Hi JRWoodchuck.

Well, it's larch. Local one. Larix decidua. IIRC. 

There isn't much more here.

Few swiss stone pine, scotts pine. Ash, beech. Silverbirch. Which i wouldn't even bother with.  Some willows. And that's about it. So i will be cutting larch mostly. Except if i drive further down the mountain, to fetch other species.

Satamax

Yesterday was the first time i have been cutting this year. 

211bdft in the afternoon. From 2 till five may be. Taking it easy ish.  All in 23mm and 35mm.  Xept from two leftovers at 50 and 55mm. 

And i got a rotten tree. Insisted to see if i could do something with it, but nope. 

Guys, the friend i was cutting for, has few very big larches. 2.5ft diameter, may be. Do you think i should slab those?  Not the straightest trees. How do i keep the big slabs from checking, warping? 

I also tried to cut with diesel mixed with water and washing up liquid. From my usual pure diesel lubrication. The blade was clean after the cutting. More experimenting needs to be done. 

fishpharmer

Satamax, nice hearing you milled some logs.  A sawmill is a handy tool.  What is the altitude of your village?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Satamax

Hi Fishpharmer! 

Well, i'm at about 1500m above sea level, so 5000ft. 

fishpharmer

You can start the mile high (almost) milling club. :)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Satamax

Yep, never thought of that. 

Satamax

This is still new to me! 

I don't seem to get much sawdust in my pockets. The piles are from part of a mornng to fetch the logs in the pile, and two afternoon sawing, with a claw breaking off the bed, and the generator acting again, in the end of the day. Lost about 3 gallons of coolant.  ::)

Me cutting, and the friend for who this was for, as a offbearer. 

It turns out that i can't cut less than 2 inches, for the final cut. The saw doesn't reach further down. I have may be one inch clearance with the claws. 

Satamax

First metal, a lead bullet. In some old ash.

Wintergreen Mountain

Nice mill! Sounds like a proven and sound machine. Can't wait to see and hear more.      Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Satamax

Hi Everybody! 

Well, the GM gen set is going supposedly, and a new monster is coming. Way too big, i think.   144kw. But has low hours, less than 200. And i couldn't pass, as it's cheap. 

That will relieve stress of looking at the temp gauge all the time, and cringing when i hear the GM start. 

Satamax

Stuffed this ugly thing on the saw. 

It's local ash. I found the bullet in the other part. The part here is 13 inches or a smidge more, between the "knots" I was all set, washing up liquid in the tank, saw tensioned etc. I couldn't start the generator, ass one of the batteries of my Toyota is dead! Dang! 

Thank You Sponsors!