iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New owner. New videos 07/23/2021

Started by Satamax, August 15, 2015, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I am guessing that is a new blade. Check to make sure the blade is flat with the bed of the saw. You have to have a lot of tension on the blade also. Should be no flutter in the blade when  it is running. 80 kw should be plenty. Sounds like it has a loose connection some where. I had that happen on mine and the really smart members on here figured it out for me.  Could be dropping a phase also. I run a 20 HP (15KW I think) on a Detroit 20 kw gen set . Power to spare . Don't get discouraged it will be something simple when you find it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

Let me know if I get this right. your blade is 12 cm which is 4.72 inches wide. Your motor is 23 KW  30 hp. I would think that is a little under powered but should still cut just a little slower. I think the blade is not flat with the bed.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

I sure don't know,but wonder if that gen is putting out what it should be.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Satamax

Thanks a lot for your repplies guys.

Quote from: thecfarm on August 06, 2016, 09:25:03 PM
I sure don't know,but wonder if that gen is putting out what it should be.

Yep, i wonder that too. With the real drop in RPM, when i hit the triangle position. And this is, obviously with the blade not engaged in the wood.

Quote from: ozarkgem on August 06, 2016, 09:18:15 PM
Let me know if I get this right. your blade is 12 cm which is 4.72 inches wide. Your motor is 23 KW  30 hp. I would think that is a little under powered but should still cut just a little slower. I think the blade is not flat with the bed.
Yep, on the verge of underpowered.

Been boozing with the friend who helped me a lot to pour the concrete piers last night. He came up with an idea to use my vertical saw's log "claws" , this is to fit the floating screw through the web of the RSJ. And i came up with the idea of using a hollow shaft gear motor to keep them floating some.

Now, time to find three hollow shaft gear motors of the same type which would fit, and cheap!

Thanks again guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ozarkgem

are you thinking of using the hollow shaft to connect to your screw? How about a pic.

Satamax

The screw has a very long keyseat, may be 3ft long, just for that purpose. The actual reduction gears are still there, but the  motors are missing, and the gearbox takes an awfull lots of space.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

So guys.

A very daft question regarding the log dogs.

I have three like this, from a vertical bandsaw mill. Both dogs are floating.

For an horizontal bandsaw, does this have any advantage? I would think no, absolutely not.

As i don't want the log to go too far to the  live puley side. Also, for squaring the cants, it would be problematic again.

Si am i right in assuming that i can fix the right dog on the photo, which is just a bearing. And let the other one do the travel. Then i can cut the threaded rod, since it's not floating anymore to the right length. Rurn other the geatbox, and have the motor bellow.

Thanks a lot guys.

ozarkgem

Does the hook part on the right of the pic move or is it stationary. I guess it really doesn't matter which side you make not movable as long as you get the stop in the right place. Cut a big circle out of cardboard and hold it up to the blade to mimic the end of the log and use that as a guide as to where to put the stops.

Satamax

Hi Ozarkgem.

Well, for the moment, they're both free. The one on the right is just a bearing at the end of the screw. The other one is threaded on the screw.

On a vertical bandsaw chariot, the threaded one is on top, with gearbox and motor all that. Hits the log, so it doesn't move anymore. Then the screw moves up, pulling the bottom claw.

I want to fix this one. And cut the screw to the right length to fit my rails.

Satamax

yeehaaaa! I'm on my fourth fut, and, besides a bit of diving after entry, it goes back up, and cuts Nice. Gen set doesn't stall anymore. It's Nice! :D

Ox

What did you do to fix it and get running again?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

tnaz

Quote from: Ox on August 08, 2016, 03:15:10 PM
X2

Good deal 8)  How about a picture for us poor folks that don't have a mill? :D :D

Satamax

Well, let it cool down. It's been runing a fair bit of the afternoon. And the main fix, was sorting out the idiot between the saw and the generator! Me!  ;D Learning. I was switching from star to delta too fast. I didn't affix  the log well, since i haven't got my "claws" yet!

Quote from: tnaz on August 08, 2016, 03:31:16 PM

Good deal 8)  How about a picture for us poor folks that don't have a mill? :D :D

Even better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRAq3WCY2UI

Satamax

Quote from: Satamax on August 08, 2016, 06:09:59 PM

Well, let it cool down. It's been runing a fair bit of the afternoon. And the main fix, was sorting out the idiot between the saw and the generator! Me!  ;D Learning. I was switching from star to delta too fast. I didn't affix  the log well, since i haven't got my "claws" yet! So, i'm getting better at sawing already! ;D

Quote from: tnaz on August 08, 2016, 03:31:16 PM

Even better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRAq3WCY2UI

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tnaz

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ozarkgem

Man that thing is crazy heavy built. I think its time to put a 75KW motor on it and do some serious sawing. Looks like a wrist breaker hand wheel you are working with on the back of the mill. I guess the small center hand wheel is the lock.

Satamax

Quote from: ozarkgem on August 09, 2016, 04:14:00 PM
Man that thing is crazy heavy built. I think its time to put a 75KW motor on it and do some serious sawing. Looks like a wrist breaker hand wheel you are working with on the back of the mill. I guess the small center hand wheel is the lock.

Yep, it's the lock.

I think i will change the powering from the follower bandweel, and friction clutch, to a separate motor.

Well, i have cut my first beam today. Not straight at all. I wonder how much is from the bad band, and how much is from the badly set rails.

I have also tried a water exhaust on the 6-71; Doesn't work at all. I emptied half of a barrel of water in few minutes! ;D

ozarkgem

straight level rails are very important. Did you get a chance to check to see of the blade is level with the bed rails? If it is not it will dive. I fought mine for 7 yrs before I learned this.  Was this used as a resaw or a sawmill setup?

Satamax

Hi Ozarkgem.

Well, i haven't checked the geometry of the blade regarding the rails. But that wouldn't take me long. As i know how to do it.  I have fought with vertical bandsaws all my life. ;D

The people i bought it from, used it as a resaw for old beams and planks. That was their business. But looking at the length of the bed, this has been used as a samill before. There's been some mods to it as well which tell me that.

The cut dives on entry, then comes back up and waves a bit. I have 3 sharpened spare blades. But i'm not keen on puting them on while i learn. ;D

As well, the guides are polyethylene chopping board bits. Which gets chewed bu the blade quickly.  I might change this to bearings.

ozarkgem

I think you will get if figured out. It took me yrs to get mine sawing right. I was on my own trying to figure things out. I didn't know about this forum at the time. I would have gotten my problems figured out faster with all the experience of the members at my disposal . Looking forward to more videos.

Satamax

The dang generator  failed again today.

It depresses me. The thing overheated. I was at 100C° or more when the  safety flap closed on the 6-71.

I realy need to adress this.

Satamax

So, up and running properly now.

2 of the three claws/log dogs are working only. Working two of us yesterday. I did my first mistake, entering the wood in second speed, and the blade dove in, lifting the thick slab i had left to cut in two. I will reverse it and try to finish the cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_iSC_xMSE

The GM 6/71 acted again. I wonder if the radiator is not full of deposit!  :-\

It overheats, seemingly. The flap shuts off and i have to wait half an hour for it to let me start again. Finally disabled it again yesterday. Running no more than 100C° if the thermometer works all right.

Anybody has advice on those GM?

Otherwise, i'm quite pleased. Need a cant hook.

Thank You Sponsors!