iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New owner. New videos 07/23/2021

Started by Satamax, August 15, 2015, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, i'm a new owner of a sawmill.  After years of procrastination and delay. Thinking i would build my dream mill would it be band, slanted or swing. Years filled with buying parts, half made projects etc! Reselling some of thoses etc.

Here comes a real one. It was a deal i couldn't pass. Absolutely not.

It's a CD4, 4inch wide bands with stellite tips. 1 meter wheels. 14.4 meters track. I had to cut it to transport it Which made me cringe big time!

Now i need to finish the generator i've gathered the parts for.  Pour piers. Fit the beast. And make log clamps. And i have no time whatsoever.

Will see how thing goes.

By the way guys, what would you do as far as log clamps/dogs go?

Thanks a lot.

Max.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Magicman

Wow, that is a sawmill.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Satamax

Magic, it's pretty much the French "standard" If you didn't have money for a big vertical rig, with all the sorters, canters,log decks etc. You would get a CD. Company started in 1948. Theses were realy thought to be a do all type of sawmill, but oriented to the  african market. Where they would set up the rails on cants, use the saw for a month or two in one spot, and then move it. If i can make a bit of cash fast. I will buy some more rails, to make a trailer. So that way i will be able to use it on my land or mobile.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

deadfall

Folks, meet the Wood-Monster!
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

47sawdust

Did the truck feel a little tippy?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

sprucebunny

Awesome sawmill and handsome truck  8) 8) 8)

Way to go  smiley_thumbsup

Hope you can get it all together and do some sawing !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Satamax

Quote from: 47sawdust on August 15, 2015, 04:44:07 PM
Did the truck feel a little tippy?
Just a smidge, but that was not me driving. My truck is smaller.

WmFritz

I look forward to the pictures of it reassembled.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank thing will make some sawdust.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bill Gaiche

Thats quite a mill. Ready to see some photos when you get it set up. bg

thecfarm

OK you got a problem. Either a get a bigger truck or a smaller mill.  ;D
How big of log will that thing saw!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Glad I dont have to buy blades for that thing....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kcwoodbutcher

I like the mill but I really want the truck.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

deadfall

I see why that mill is moving.  Just look at that hill. 

Everything was turned into 70 inch slabs.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Satamax

Quote from: thecfarm on August 15, 2015, 08:13:30 PM
OK you got a problem. Either a get a bigger truck or a smaller mill.  ;D
How big of log will that thing saw!!!
Thecfarm.   Well, thoses are given for a 1m log in diameter. That's 3ft 1/3rd And it will saw easily 12m, that's 40ft.

Kbeitz, i sure wish theses would be cheaper. :(

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on August 15, 2015, 09:56:17 PM
I like the mill but I really want the truck.

KCwoodbutcher,  look on the french site "leboncoin"  for TRM2000, that's the ex army version of this one. They go quite cheap. IIRC, you have prety much the same law as us over here, regarding old vehicles, and anything older than 30 years is pretty much easy to register. Even more since your country is more lenient than mine on the subject of modified trucks, bikes and car.   Thinking about it, you might have a seller of old army vehicles in your country which might sell thoses already imported.

Satamax

Quote from: deadfall on August 15, 2015, 10:51:23 PM
I see why that mill is moving.  Just look at that hill. 

Everything was turned into 70 inch slabs.

Deadfall, it's a small hill, called col du Galibier. (Galibier's pass)

The tunnel showing in the next picture is at 8386ft high  ;D

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 16, 2015, 04:13:28 AM
8386ft high  ???

Yep, 8385,82 exactly.  2556 meters high. That's just ten or twelve miles north of where i live.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Col_du_Galibier

The tunnel has been drilled in 1891.

Btw, i live at 5000ft high.  ;D

47sawdust

Kbeitz,
I think that's elevation,I had to do a double take myself.
Satamax,
Thanks for the pictures and good luck with the mill.You must have some large support equipment to feed that beast.

Beautiful part of the world and yes the truck is a real gem.FF member Loggah needs one to tow his restored Lombard log hauler.That would turn some peoples heads.
Best of luck,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Satamax

Quote from: 47sawdust on August 16, 2015, 06:44:14 AMYou must have some large support equipment to feed that beast.

Mick, i have the little white pupy behind!

Well, this thing ;D

fishpharmer

Satamax, glad to see you finally have a sawmill.  What a mill it is!!! :o 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Satamax

Thanks a lot Fishpharmer.

Guys, the next questions are:

How many log dogs do i need? Of what type?

I have two small hydraulic rams, which could do the job may be.

Log turner? I'd be keen on a chain one. That might wait, and i will use a cant hook and the crane.

Laser? I'd be real keen on a laser line. But on the cheap ;D

How do i set it up? I was thinking railways ties. Builders friends tell me concrete piers. But i don't know how all of that will evolve. I might be buying a little bit of land just next to mine, to square it off.  So the saw will move i think.

Any advice?

The motor on it for the moment is 22kw. My electricity supply only 15kw. I wonder if i could start it up with the 15kw. I have a brand new 11kw motor that i could retrofit and cut slow.

Thanks a lot guys.

Kbeitz

Quote from: 47sawdust on August 16, 2015, 06:44:14 AM
Kbeitz,
Satamax,
Thanks for the pictures and good luck with the mill.You must have some large support equipment to feed that beast.

Beautiful part of the world and yes the truck is a real gem.FF member Loggah needs one to tow his restored Lombard log hauler.That would turn some peoples heads.
Best of luck,Mick

If it's not  elevation thats got to be one BIG  truck...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 16, 2015, 10:55:38 AM
Quote from: 47sawdust on August 16, 2015, 06:44:14 AM
Kbeitz,
Satamax,

Best of luck,Mick

If it's not  elevation thats got to be one BIG  truck...
And a huge sawmill  ;D

Elevation obviously.

Thank You Sponsors!