iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To beech or not to beech, that is my question

Started by square1, August 15, 2015, 07:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

square1

I deal mostly with firewood. Beech & Firewood aren't words that generally go together.

I would not have taken this tree down, however a recent windstorm took it for me.  It's ~11" DBH and 26' (nice & straight) length.  It will be a pain to bring out whole, but if there's someone here with a mill that would like it, I'll do my best to get it out to the road  for you in one piece. It's located about mid-way between Flint, Saginaw, and Lansing Michigan.  Let me know, otherwise it will become kindling / shoulder wood I suppose.

petefrom bearswamp

Beech is excellent firewood.
That bark looks more like Aspen, not a good firewood
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

square1

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 15, 2015, 07:14:41 AM
Beech is excellent firewood.
That bark looks more like Aspen, not a good firewood
Okay then, Aspen or not to Aspen, that is my question.
Just doesn't sound right though ;)

Not worth milling either?  Even if free except the cost of fuel / time to pick up?

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

Ox

If it were me and it was close by, I'd snag it.  I'm from the mindset of waste not, want not.  If nothing more it could be used for furniture or paneling.  Heck, it could even be used for furring strips under metal roofing.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

square1

QuoteI'm from the mindset of waste not, want not.
Being the child of depression era parents, I'm right there with you.  Hate to just drop it on the ground and let it rot.
But, yeah, NY is a bit of a trip even for a free log ;)

deadfall

So I guess Washington is out of the question.  Trees like that are what my handle here is all about.  More than anything, I like sawing up trees that volunteered for milling.  I prefer forests, in their natural state, to plantations.

Beech has been used for lots of tool and kitchen utensil handles, brooms and brushes.   It was used for a lot of things that are now made of plastic.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

sprucebunny

Beech is excellent firewood and often not worth making lumber out of.

Aspen/poplar I rarely bother to drag out of the woods. The ones I find aren't big enough to saw and don't throw much heat.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

rooster 58

Nearly 2 yrs ago, while working on a new house being built that was projected to cost 11 million, I saw hardwood flooring  waiting to be installed. Not sure what it was, I asked the superintendent  what it was. He told me they selected beech because the owners had large dogs

Seaman

I hope someone can use the beech, but I gotta ask....What is " shoulder wood"? Shoulder of the road?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Jeff

Definitely looks like aspen, and not very good aspen. It also looks like it is growing on a slope, which means it is aspen with potentially a lot of stress.  I reckon I have sawn more aspen in my life perhaps than any other commercial sawyer in Michigan so have a pretty good idea what the tree will hold for lumber with those black conks started on it.

It's not worth messing with unless you need some fast burning firewood. If it were Beech, it would not be worth messing with unless you needed some good firewood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ahlkey

I saw a lot of Beech logs every season and while not great it does saw nice.  However, the majority of mature grade trees will often be hollow in the center.  It is great firewood though as the BTU's are high. From your picture of the tree it is pretty clear to be the common Quaking Aspen species.

thecfarm

I have burned a bunch of beech and and bunch of aspen too. Both in a boiler at my other house. Yes,the beech did much better. Those aspen would've made a great looking cabin. They was all just about 8 inches across.But at that time I did not have a tractor with a loader. Nor did I know anything about doing a cabin. I burn a lot of wood that others would not burn. As my Father use say,It's not the quality of the wood but the quantity of it.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

square1

Quote from: Seaman on August 16, 2015, 07:53:17 AM
I hope someone can use the beech, but I gotta ask....What is " shoulder wood"? Shoulder of the road?
Frank
Shoulder wood is lower btu wood that is burned in fall & spring to save the higher btu wood for winter when greater heat output is needed.

OneWithWood

Quote from: square1 on August 17, 2015, 08:06:55 PM
Quote from: Seaman on August 16, 2015, 07:53:17 AM
Frank
Shoulder wood is lower btu wood that is burned in fall & spring to save the higher btu wood for winter when greater heat output is needed.
That big tooth aspen could be used as 'shoulder wood' but sassafrass or tulip poplar would be better.
Given the black conks I would leave it to rot in the woods and build the soil.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

I see the "black conks" but what do they mean to you Robert and Jeff?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

beenthere

Most likely the "conks" are bark growths covering broken limbs that died and broke off. There will be some dark staining and possible decay extending away from the dead stub. The tree attempts to grow over these stubs and, in time, may be successful. Much depends on the growing conditions as to how fast the stubs heal over.
The conks shown are indicators of the dead stub and surrounding area below which leads to lower quality lumber and other products, as they limit the desired clear-wood volume often desired.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Engineer

That's not beech.  If it was, I would say it's worth dragging out for firewood, not for lumber.  I would definitely saw a larger beech log though - say, in the 14-18" range and up.  I have a pretty decent stash of beech lumber and I used a clear, 5/4 x 10 x 12' long piece in my kitchen as a shelf above my countertop.  It holds all kinds of canisters, mason jars and other 'country' stuff that makes the wife happy.  The stuff is hard, finishes beautifully, and unlike most other woods, imparts no taste or flavour to food.  It is ideal for cutting boards, bowls and kitchen utensils.  I'd rather have a beech butcher block than a maple one.  It also exhibits some really nice flecking & figure when quartersawn.

sawguy21

Other than tool handles I am not familiar with beech, we don't see it in the west. Aspen/poplar is a whole 'nuther story, it's just a giant weed. Unless that blow down is a hazard or in the way I would leave it to rot. I have some on a slope behind the house that really need to come down before they fall on the fence or the garage but all I can do is burn them in a pile once the bans are removed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ludo

THIS IS A BEECH!

My Daughter (chief sealer and money counter) is 55".  :-*

Going to slab it as soon as I can get it home!

WDH

That is a sunny beech.  Wow.

Your end-sealer is doing a fine job. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Thanks for the info Engineer. I cut and split tons of Beech years ago, but have never sawn it for lumber. Wish it grew here in NE.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!