iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening of Hand Tools for Timber Framers

Started by Daniel Morris, August 14, 2015, 10:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Morris

Hello folks,
I had the good fortune to take the basic timber framing at Heartwood and have since then been putting together a basic toolkit, largely from secondhand sources. I now realize I should have paid better attention to the sharpening demonstrations. I'd love to hear what jigs, stones, etc. you like to use for chisels, spoke shaves and hand planes. I am trying to work to a modest budget, but it seems evident that a decent jig would prolong the life of the tools and for that reason be money well spent. Can you tell me what works for you?

Jim Rogers- thanks again for the Big Al tips. And that 1 1/2 inch boring bit you sent over works great on my Millers Falls.

Thanks,
Daniel Morris
Brooklyn, NY

Jim_Rogers

Daniel:

Thanks for your kind words.
And I'm glad your bit works good for you.

After taking my first timber framing class, many years ago, I realized exactly what you have just realized.
I took an evening course on sharpening at a local woodworkers tool store, and learned how to sharpen chisels from the clerk/teacher there.

Part of the course was to show you how to use the tools they sell for sharpening. I bought diamond stones from them and a jig that holds the chisel at the correct angle, once you set it, and I have used that ever since.
What I like about the chisel holder is that it has a roller on the bottom to roll on your stone. And when you have the chisel bevel done you turn the pin on the roller one click and it increases the angle by one degree to give you a "micro" bevel along the very tip of the cutting edge.
I personally like the micro bevel feature.

Jim Rogers

PS here is a link to the holder I bought.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/153784/Veritas-Sharpening-System.aspx
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Daniel Morris

This jig is just what I needed, Jim. I am going to order one. Would this two-sided diamond stone be a good companion for it? It isn't cheap, but what good tool is?
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/146025/DMT-8-Diamond-Stone-Finecoarse-with-Duosharp-Plus-Base.aspx

Haggis

Hello all I would like to know if this method of sharpening is good that I have been using for plane blades for Timber frame chisels.

I use glass with different grits of wet dry paper and I start with 250 grit and work up to 2000 grit and then finish with a leather strop. For my angles I hold the blade at a 30 degree and then lower the blade to 20 degrees as I pull the iron towards me. Thus creating a bevel. Since using this method of sharpening I have never had such a sharp iron and I can take tissue paper thick shaving with this method.

What are your thoughts on using this method for Timber frame chisels?

S.Hyland

Haggis,  I would say if it gets them sharp, it's a good method. Asking for the "right" sharpening method is kind of like asking what is the right flavor of ice cream, in my mind. Sharp is sharp is sharp. Personally, I freehand on a $10 synthetic oil stone for the bulk of my sharpening.
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Jim_Rogers

I had one teacher tell me: "there is nothing wrong with a sharp chisel."

I took it to mean, at the time, that the brand of chisel doesn't matter as long as it is sharp.

In this case it doesn't matter how you get it sharp. As long as you're happy with it and it easily cuts wood.

Your method is fine, and lots of people use it.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Do a search for "Slick sharpening jig for slicks". That is the jig I use for slicks and chisels. I do have a Veritas MKII that will work for chisels, but my homemade one is much easier to use.

I use DMT stones and an 8000 King Japanese water stone to finish.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MattJ

I do what Dave listed. Do the last step of finish honing with a 6000 or up water stone and the sharpness steps way up. It makes working with the edge tools much less effort, especially with wild grain patterns.

Brad_bb

I don't personally know anyone who uses a jig.  Being that you mention that you're on a budget, I recommend the sandpaper method.  It's cheap and easy and it's what I use.  Nothing fancy to buy but a $3 tile and sandpaper.

Here's a sharpening video that Rooster and I did.  This method can be used for near any edge tool.
https://youtu.be/_Z3CM1m4weM
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Haggis

Thanks for the info I'll keep using the sandpaper method. really creates a nice edge.

Belg

Brad, I had left a question on this video about a year ago and still have yet to get any progress on cleaning up this tool. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks Pat
Quote from: Brad_bb on August 17, 2015, 03:57:22 PM
I don't personally know anyone who uses a jig.  Being that you mention that you're on a budget, I recommend the sandpaper method.  It's cheap and easy and it's what I use.  Nothing fancy to buy but a $3 tile and sandpaper.

Here's a sharpening video that Rooster and I did.  This method can be used for near any edge tool.
https://youtu.be/_Z3CM1m4weM

Thank You Sponsors!