iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best felling ideas on this Persimmon tree?

Started by ReggieT, August 12, 2015, 11:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

I'm thinking just attach my logging chain to the lowest broken log and pull and the other should topple right on top.
Then just fell the standing tree with a simple notch and back cut.
What would you guys suggest?:reading:
I'm better @ firewood bucking than felling!

Persimmon tree, approx 24" in diameter, top broken off by storm. The "log" still standing is about 12 feet tall and about 24" in diameter. At the place the tree broke it branched into 2 trunks and they are about 8 to 12" in diameter and 15 or so feet long. The 2 trunks are still barely attached to the vertical trunk.

Thanks
Reg

beenthere

I would do the same.. pull the top of each log where they touch the ground.. carefully attaching chains. Hope that both come down together.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

That stub will just about stand there and look at ya if you saw it off. Nothing to help make it fall,the top of the tree is gone. Use a felling wedge,so your bar won't get pinched and I push them over with my loader on my tractor. Could use a ladder and get up as high as you can and pull it over with a come along too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

QuoteI'm thinking just attach my logging chain to the lowest broken log and pull and the other should topple right on top.
Then just fell the standing tree with a simple notch and back cut.
I like your idea, but I would use a wedge on the felling cut.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rasman57

Barely attached means be careful as the top one may slide and pivot in an arc faster than you can move.   Chain it up staying out of the drop or swing area and give it a tug and repeat.  I would not buck until both were on the ground.  Clean those two up to have a safe work area and do your standing trunk.

ReggieT

Appreciate all the advice, BUT I drug my freaking hooves and somebody beat me to it!!! :snowball: smiley_furious3

OH WELL!

Thank You Sponsors!