iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size log tongs?

Started by SoreMiller, August 12, 2015, 08:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoreMiller

Noob here. I want to buy some log tongs, but can't get them locally, only by mail order which means I can't run my eye over them first.

The manufacturers/sellers list the tongs by size, but what do the sizes refer to... log diameter... overall length of the tongs? Can anyone offer any help as to what size tongs lift what logs?

thecfarm

SoreMiller,welcome to the forum. Whatcha using to pick the logs up with? Just saying a 20hp tractor will not pick up at much a 60hp one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pine Ridge

I believe the size is referring to the tongs when opened measured from tip to tip, not 100 percent sure but i believe thats right. I have two different tongs now, and neither one are very good, always slipping and come loose from the log. I can tell you this for sure, get lifting tongs instead of skidding tongs, as they will bite in and stay hooked, and can be used for skidding also. But they are more expensive but worth it. Don't drag the tongs on the ground, or do anything that will dull the tips.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

azmtnman

I have a pair of Timber Tuff 25 in. that I got at Tractor Supply. They work decently if hooked correctly. If you need to make sharp turns, don't waste your money. They do work great with my boom pole.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

park ranger

I was just using a pair at work that are cheap china made and their tips are not bent in enough so they slip a lot more than the ones I have here at home.  Mine are blue and US made, smaller than the china made but the tips are bent in at more of a hook so they grab better and are around 25" ,check with Baileys.

beenthere

Bailey's no longer sponsors the forestry forum. Said we were "insignificant".

LogRite, a great sponsor, has logging tongs. They are "significant" to us, and to the Forestry Forum in many ways.

http://www.logrite.com/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Skip

There are two types skidding and lifting tongs size refers to diameter length does not matter the difference is the angle of the hooks of tip of the tongs .

SoreMiller

Thanks for the helpful replies.  smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!