iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ Boardwalk Jr trailer question

Started by dirtymartini, August 12, 2015, 12:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

How hard is it to install/remove the trailer wheel package? Can one person do it? What's the procedure? I'm looking harder at the EZ Boardwalk Jr after doing lots of reading here and watching you tube videos.

justallan1

What I did to put it on the wheels was to first secure the carriage to the tracks with the 2 bolts supplied, lift the front up a couple foot with a handyman jack and block it real good at both front corners, put your handyman jack behind the carriage far enough back to be out of the way for the wheels and lift it up, roll the wheels under it and bolt them on. While it's on the blocks bolt on the tongue and jackstand. Remove the jack and it's on the wheels, then just pick it up by the hitch and kick out the blocks. I imagine taking them off should be just as simple.
Whatever you do, DO NOT un-secure the carriage from the tracks unless it is either on the ground or blocked up at both ends and the middle while on the trailer.
Any more question please feel free to ask.

dirtymartini

Quote from: justallan1 on August 12, 2015, 09:44:11 PM
What I did to put it on the wheels was to first secure the carriage to the tracks with the 2 bolts supplied, lift the front up a couple foot with a handyman jack and block it real good at both front corners, put your handyman jack behind the carriage far enough back to be out of the way for the wheels and lift it up, roll the wheels under it and bolt them on. While it's on the blocks bolt on the tongue and jackstand. Remove the jack and it's on the wheels, then just pick it up by the hitch and kick out the blocks. I imagine taking them off should be just as simple.
Whatever you do, DO NOT un-secure the carriage from the tracks unless it is either on the ground or blocked up at both ends and the middle while on the trailer.
Any more question please feel free to ask.

Thanks, sounds like I could handle it alone. I also have a small Massey tractor with FEL I could use.  I'm really leaning towards the EZ Boardwalk JR at this point. While I really like the Norwood I don't like the idea of spending days putting it together.
If the budget was a little better I would get the EZ Boardwalk 40...

justallan1

My advice, no matter what mill you get, is to figure out the diameter on the biggest percentage of your logs and add 6" or better to the width. If it costs more and/or you have to wait a bit longer, you will definitely be glad you did. It just makes things so much easier, and faster having the extra room, rather than fighting a log to sit just right or trimming it with a chainsaw to fit.
"I want a smaller mill".....said no one, ever!
You might give Stanton at EZ Boardwalk a call and possibly he can hook you up with a sawyer local to you to go take a look at one.

dirtymartini

Quote from: justallan1 on August 12, 2015, 11:33:58 PM
My advice, no matter what mill you get, is to figure out the diameter on the biggest percentage of your logs and add 6" or better to the width. If it costs more and/or you have to wait a bit longer, you will definitely be glad you did. It just makes things so much easier, and faster having the extra room, rather than fighting a log to sit just right or trimming it with a chainsaw to fit.
"I want a smaller mill".....said no one, ever!
You might give Stanton at EZ Boardwalk a call and possibly he can hook you up with a sawyer local to you to go take a look at one.

Another thought I had was save my money until spring and go for the EZ 40...although it might be more mill than I need most of the time like you said "I want a smaller mill...said no one ever"

Decisions, Decisions.

tmarch

I have the Ez40 and it's a great mill, well thought out and easy to use.  I have mine stationary, but if I remember correctly they sell a cant hook that will work to raise the back of the mill and slide the axle under it for transport.  I took my axle off by myself in about 20 minutes so it shouldn't be a problem, especially with a FEL.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

dirtymartini

Quote from: tmarch on August 13, 2015, 09:21:42 PM
I have the Ez40 and it's a great mill, well thought out and easy to use.  I have mine stationary, but if I remember correctly they sell a cant hook that will work to raise the back of the mill and slide the axle under it for transport.  I took my axle off by myself in about 20 minutes so it shouldn't be a problem, especially with a FEL.

Right now my plans are to make the mill stationary...but it would be nice to have the option to move it.

etroup10

Quote from: tmarch on August 13, 2015, 09:21:42 PM

On the EZ 40, the log turner that comes with the trailer package can be placed at the end and winch the end of the mill up. It works really well. I didn't even know about it till I saw it here http://mountainharvestorganic.com/blog/?p=2722 .

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

justallan1

etroup10, how long of track is that on? That looks easier than what I had to do on my Jr.
Living and learning I guess.

etroup10

It's not my mill I just found that online, but it appears to be just the standard length, so 20' of track.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

dirtymartini

I think I will get an extra length of track whether I get the EZ 40 or Jr. I may not need it all that often but as long as I'm paying for shipping I think it would be wise to get it right from the start.

justallan1

I think I see the difference now. Mine was only 15 foot of track at the time and was pretty steep, so I bocked up the front before raising the rear of the tracks.
I'd highly recommend having the extra track. It makes it lots faster when loading logs onto it because you don't have to be so careful as to where you set your log.

tmarch

If you have a FEL that will lift the logs you want to cut that will help, but remember this is a manual mill and the 40 cuts a 16.5' log which is all I want to man handle most of the time.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

jaygtree

imo get at least a 5 foot extension if you get the jr. so much easier getting the logs in a milling position even if only cutting 8 foot logs like i do. the jr is well thought out and very durable. i'm sure the 40 is also.   jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

dirtymartini

I think I am going to call tomorrow to get a shipping quote for the Jr....

thecfarm

Get the extension if you can. I have a Thomas that will cut 20 foot logs. Never have. But little did I know,at the time,it's so much easier to have 4 feet that you don't need with a 16 foot log instead of inches. No big deal to roll a 16 foot log onto my mill. No need to move it lengthwise on the mill 2 inches because I missed the mark. On a manual mill it's hard to move it length wise. That 4 feet also allows the head to get out of the way too. More room to move lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Engineer

I noticed in my research that the EZ Boardwalk's "trailer" consists of a pair of angle iron brackets, springs, and axle and wheels.  All of which simply bolt onto the frame and allow you to cart the whole mill around.  What about the trailer tongue, lights, etc.  "other stuff" you would need to bring a mill on the road?  Would it need to be registered as a trailer, or slap a SMV triangle on the back and hope for the best?  Are the tires and wheels speed-rated or are they off-road only? 

Also, the bright idea came to me (maybe I saw it somewhere else, I'm usually limited in original thoughts) that you could build a small landscape or dump trailer without an axle, springs or wheels, and bolt that same hardware onto it when it wasn't on the mill.  I was thinking a forestry trailer that could be used to retrive logs and firewood from the woods or from remote locations, while the mill was stationary?  Does anyone know what the load capacity of the EZ trailer kit is? 

Sorry I got a lot of questions.  Hope you guys can help.

Magicman

QuoteWould it need to be registered as a trailer, or slap a SMV triangle on the back and hope for the best?
Different states have different requirements regarding titles, registering, and tagging.  The legality of a SMV triangle should be determined by your towing speed, but there again, different states may be different.  "Hoping" could net you a citation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jaygtree

the ez bw jr trailer package comes with road tires and has a removable tongue but no lites.   jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Thank You Sponsors!