iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar 510 issues

Started by Dolmar510, August 11, 2015, 08:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolmar510

Hello all,
Just signed up here in hopes you all can help me out.
I have a pretty much brand new Dolmar 510 (maybe 5 tanks of fuel through it) and its having some issues. It will start fine and idle fine but when I am cutting the saw will get bogged down under a load and the chain will stop spinning. It has a brand new chain on it. I checked to make sure the chain wasn't getting pinched and it does not appear that it is. It just seems s like the saw loses power and gets bogged down. I would greatly appreciate any insight you all have on this. Its becoming rather frustrating.
Thanks in advance!

Tim   

ladylake

It might need tuning, either too rich or too lean will make it bog easy.  How hard are you pushing on it , new sharp chains take a lot less push than dull chains.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Dolmar510,welcome to the forum. I have no idea how much you been around a saw. But any good dealer should have a log out back to try the saw out on and find out what is going on. I have also heard of putting the chain on backwards too. Can't or should not be much with just about a new saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dolmar510

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I thought I may be pushing the saw to has as well so I just Pretty much let the weight of the saw do the cutting and still had the problem. I did also double check to make sure the chain was on correct.  I'm pretty new to the saw world so I think a trip to the dealer may be in order to see what's going on.
Thank you again!

Tim

John Mc

Tim - is the saw cutting straight, or does it curve off to one side once it get n the wood? Does it bog even before the backside of the bar gets into the log (that is, does it bog ass soon as you put a load in it, before the bar has cut very deeply into the wood.

My reason for asking this is that if you have bar or chain problems that cause the saw to cut in  a curve, the bar can get pinched even if the kerf is not closing onto the bar. If this is happening, the saw will seem to cut OK until more of the bar gets into the wood (and especially once the chain on the opposite side of the bar enters the wood). If that sound like your problem, you've got a chain sharpening or bar wear problem, not an engine problem
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

I hope you have a dealer that knows how to tune a saw. After 5 tanks it is broken in and needs to be tweaked for best performance.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dolmar510

Thanks for the replies. The saw does appear to be cutting straight. And yes it will bogg before the backside of the saw gets into the wood. I have a dealer just down the road so I think I'll make the trip there and see if he can tune it and go from there.

Thanks again!

Tim

OldJack

There's a couple of things you can check yourself before you take it to the dealer. Apparently there's a bad batch of Bosch spark plugs out there.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=84988.0

It could be a plugged fuel filter. See if you can fish it out and blow it out backwards. Don't use a 100 psi airline, use reduced pressure.

ladylake

Hopefully you have a good dealer, I've got saws in here right from the a dealer tuned both pig rich and burn up lean.  It's really best to learn how to tune yourself as saws need to be tuned for different weather.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dolmar510

Thanks for all the information. I will definitely look into those things before going to be dealer. And yes I would definitely like to learn how to tune it myself. Sounds like a good project for the weekend.

Thanks again!

Tim

John Mc

Madsen's site has some good info on tuning a saw. The tuning link includes recordings of how the saw should sound when tuned properly. Very helpful - you may need better speakers than are in many laptop computers to really hear the detail.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dolmar510

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely check that out.

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!