iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on Clark skidder value

Started by Plankton, August 11, 2015, 11:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Looks like you did ok. can't wait to hear about it's running condition. 5k skidders are hard to come by around here that run and pull wood.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

lumberjack48

Nice looking Ole Horse, i like the used, weathered look on a machine. It tells the whole story of how a machine has been used over the yrs. If its all beat up, bent up, you know its has been used hard over the yrs. But this doesn't mean it hasn't been will taken care of by the owner. It means it had a sledgehammer operator. 
I don't like new paint on a old machine. It takes the caricature away from the machine, gives it a cheap look to me. [ just me ]
Around here in the 80's and 90's a guy could pickup a good used TF or TJ for 10K. I stayed away from a Clark because all i heard was bad news about their trans. But this could have been all operator failure, not tran failure.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treeslayer2003

lumberjack, i remember that talk. it wasn't just clark, it was any thing power shift. i think it was more fear of the unkown than any thing. since we got the first clark in........i think around 87, i have never seen a transmission failure. i have seen the fiber gear break up from operator error. come to think of it, the only power shifts i have seen fail was a deere and two franklins.

Plankton

Well arrived today, I spent some time tooling around with it in my hay field to get a feel for it a little. Boy this thing gets loud in the cab haha

runs great as far as I can tell, I can feel the center pins popping around though, engine and tranny are strong, I bulldozed a stump out for kicks and it didnt even blink.

some more photos:

treeslayer2003

vatkins

I wouldn't paint it. New paint looks like a band aid on old machines. My center pins are wore out to. Does yours have a filter for the tranny ? I beleive the one on my Skidder is missing. Would love to see a pic of what's suppose to be there

treeslayer2003

vatkins, if when you remove the right hood panel, there is no filter toward the back of the opening, it is highly possible its been removed and the lines simply put together.

Plankton

Well I've been tinkering on here a little to get all the fluids good etc, now I cant get the winch to work, or do anything.

I had to replace the line from the cylinder to the clutch it was leaking badly. I hand tightened the line on the cylinder side ran the line through the skidder tightened it good on the winch then greased things and topped off fluid etc. and of course forgot to tighten the line on the cylinder. Fired it up to bulldoze some brush and debris etc to make a parking spot for the skidder at my place and tested the winch, It doesn't do anything at all.

There is a lot of resistance to push the lever down to freespool and no resistance at all going back to winch position. I just printed out all the manuals and tried the bleeding procedure listed in there.

When I crack the line with the lever back it sprays brake fluid everywhere. (that was exciting the first time haha) and when I crack the line with the lever foward it trickles out fluid but nothing else. I repeated that for 5 minutes or so and no change, does it just have a ton of air in it or what? How do I tell when it is bled?

no matter where the lever is the pto spins and I cant get the cable to budge..

I can try pulling off the side cover and checking if the bands are rusted but its only sat out for a week or so, it has rained a couple times...

Plankton

Also is it true I dont want to let the detroit idle for a while? It looks like the bleeding will take along time and I dont want to ruin the engine, probably just being overly cautious but this is my first detroit..

62oliver

Not sure about the clarks, but make sure you are in forward to winch? (don't ask me how I know, haha)
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Plankton

I have no experience with this but the guy I bought it from said to winch in neutral, if you winch in forward it will spool in way to fast.

treeslayer2003

plankton, if the winch worked before then its air. keep messin with it, its like messin with brakes on a pick up. that pto will turn all the time unless your in gear sitting still. you can winch in in gear, it will be faster but the clark winch is fast any way........just adjust your brain to keep up lol.

its not gonna hurt the engine to idle that long, just don't let it sit and idle for an hour.

Plankton

Thanks treeslayer, I bled it with the engine off for a while air was definitely coming out then just fluid, started it up and bled it more still nothing..I got tired of being soaked by the bleeder on the brake side. Is it normal for the handle to be really hard to push down, almost two handed? Then pulling back is like nothing, a little firmer now but still very easy.

I bled until I was out of brake fluid, seems like alot.

It leaks alot out of the pto shaft entry, would that cause it to not work? Anyone know whats behind there seal wise? I will probably pull the shaft tomorrow and just see what happens but if anyone has done that before advice is appreciated.

treeslayer2003

i had a hell of a time getting mine right, all i can say is keep at it. you don't really need the engine running to do that, it nothing to do with the hydraulics.

obviously the seal is gone, could be a worn bearing or just bad seal. prolly just pull the yoke.
remember this is a gear matic and not clark specific.

62oliver

In case you haven't got it, here is a link to the service manual for your winch
http://www.paccarwinch.com/pdf/j358j.pdf
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Plankton

Alright I feel so dumb that I cant figure this out, I cant seem to get the nut off that yoke in front of the winch. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever removed that yoke from the gearmatic 19?

I have cranked on it pretty good in both directions and nothing.. if I knew what thread direction it was I would hammer on it a little harder. Also my parts manual for the clark and the manual for the winch seem to have differing opinions of whats back there...for example:

Also this is john deere country out here, I barely squeak by with my older farmalls haha everybody who has a skidder has a john deere... I dont know anyone with a gearmatic on there skidder unfortunately then I could get some first hand advice.

I've got the brake cylinder all bench bled ready to go in but I cant do that until this leak is fixed as it leaks right onto the drum...otherwise I would just forget it and put her to work.

treeslayer2003

its different because the clark has an adapter to reverse rotation. sorry, i never had to pull that yoke........not sure on rotation since it has the adapter.........help seabee!

beenthere

Plankton
QuoteAlso this is john deere country out here,

Maybe click on your forum user name, and it will take you to your profile. There you can add your location and then we'd have a sense as to where "out here" is at.

I'm thinking "ocean" where there are plankton, but that doesn't fly well for being "deere" country.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Plankton

Alright figured I post up some follow up to this in case anyone is ever combing the internet looking to pull this yoke. My dad came out to the farm for the day today and we got the nut off, it took him pulling and me pushing on the breaker bar for a while to get it to break loose. That sucker was on there. Anyways we pulled all the stuff out and it appears I am missing the seal that is supposed to be in there according to the parts manual.

Now comes the fun part finding parts! haha

Just a photo for reference pieces in order. the spacer on the end with the oring is pretty worn as well so if I can find it I'll replace that as well. Hopefully no more leaking!

Side note got the master cylinder in ran my own plumbing with parts from the local autostore bled em out and the skidder has brakes for the first time in 20+ years. No parking brake but thats a trouble for another day.

Sean Keys

Anyone know where to find a 6 spline yoke like that? Can't find one anywhere!

Thank You Sponsors!