iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Red Cedar Split Rails update.

Started by just_sawing, August 11, 2015, 08:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I thought that since I have now slowed down a little bit I would update the saga of Splitting Rails along with a sawmill.
As some may remember I was asked last April could I split rails for a project. I said yes and now we have split 12000 rails.
The major problem I have incurred with this blessing is infrastructure. It is one thing to switch over to providing stringers for a pallet mill and another totally bringing up new project. We ended up spending 23 thousand dollars in maintenance. 30 thousand in equipment. Would do it again in a heart beat. 

You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

petefrom bearswamp

Wow quite a investment.
Is this for an ongoing steady market?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dboyt

Thanks for the update.  That takes real commitment!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

mesquite buckeye

Nice to see those old fences new again. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Will be interested in seeing the "new" equipment needed to split the rails, if not imposing.

Do you carry through to the final placement of the fence? Or do you sell to a fencing company to do that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

just_sawing

50 Horse John Deere tractor, 23 thousand has gone on break downs. Make money you spend money.
We are continuing with rails and bringing the Mill on full speed. I am stock piling as much rails as possible and will be able to sell as needed.
You can follow me at

ESFted

That's a beautiful fence.  Nice rails!
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Cedarman

We put out over 10,000 sassafras rails for a project about 5 years ago.  I probably only had 500 to 1000 dollars in the splitter including the cylinder.  It was only a 4" x 2' stroke, so we had to move the cylinder down the I beam as we split.  Still could put out 50 rails and hour.  We used our old MF 3165 loader as the hydraulic power unit.  those old beasts run forever.
So that makes me curious as to where the money went on maintenance.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

just_sawing

The big Chunk was the Planetary that went out in my 332 john deere. Also New tracks when one broke in the middle of the woods got a large chunk. It has been a wonderful learning experiance and we have made money also.
I brought on a contractor paid by the rail on splitting and have also been blessed with some great friends.
You can follow me at

Thank You Sponsors!