iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long is too long?

Started by taylorsmissbeehaven, August 11, 2015, 07:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have been asked to look at some logs that a client of mine is considering buying. There is about 5k bdft of pine that has been stacked for AT LEAST 6 months. The ends are very dark and there is evidence of beetle activity all along the logs on top. I told him that I was skeptical but he was very disappointed and wanted a second opinion. So, could anyone with experience with pine  laying on the ground in the Southern summer share some advise. Thanks in advance, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

WDH

They could likely have pencil sized holes from the longhorn beetle grubs.  I am just as skeptical as you are. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

As WDH indicated, you would have to slab 3" to get below the worm holes.  I would figure ~30-40% loss/waste.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Pine (any pine) doesn't have to lay out in the heat very long for the beetles to find it!

If you have to cut Pine, knowing there will be a delay in getting it sawn, if you peel the bark off of it, the beetles usually won't bother it!

Also, it will hold up better if you get the logs up off the ground!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thank you very much for the advice/info fellas! Long horn beetle grub, I could not remember which beetle it was. I hate to disappoint, but don't want to see a good client make a mistake. Thanks, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

warren46

I think the answer is "it depends."  Mostly it depends on how the lumber is going to be used.  Once the lumber is stickered the grubs will likely cease to cause further damage in short order as the lumber dries.  If the final use can deal with a few defects, then go ahead and saw as soon as you can.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Peter Drouin

I have some W Pine that was cut in Feb, And just now the bugs are starting to get in them . Gotta love winter cut logs. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Pine Man,

Our beetles are a bit more lively than yours.  Your beetles come to Georgia to vacation on our pine  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tmbrcruiser

Something else you may want to think about, the lumber will have blue stain. Good luck.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Cedarman

Take a chainsaw, slab off a 3" deep, by 3' long and see what you have.  Proof is in the pudding. "er, pine slab".
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

slider

No way I would pay for pine that's been down that long.MM is close on the loss due to decay I was thinking the same thing .
al glenn

drobertson

It really does depend on what the lumber will be used for.. and what is the price,, I would be shocked if there were no beetles/grubs, and some blue stain, but for the most part it should be plenty solid. I'm sawing about the same currently with great lumber coming off the logs, so really the price would be factor in my view.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Finishing up a jag for a barn repair, had these two left this morning, and thought this would fit the bill to part of the question.
these logs were fell in Feb. and as the picture shows, there are bugs, but the wood is solid with slight bluing.

I chased this guy around while peeling the bark off, and found the travel routes as well,

And as MM mentioned, the depth is very close to 3" to get beneath the holes, but , the wood is very suitable for barn/shed construction.

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

David,

That is just what I would expect to see.  Nice pics. 

Chuck White

When you have that many grubs in your logs, you can turn off you lube valve!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

deadfall

It's like I tell tell the inspector, "can't fall down... nothin' holdin' it up."
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

bkaimwood

Almost looks like those pics were taken at my place...if only the damage was an inch or 2 deeper, and the blue was heavier, it would be what I'm sawing now... I don't waste anytime gettin' her down to saw boards, cuz enen so, there are nice ones inside once you do...I just drop down hard, knock off 4 sides, no glitches to edge, and let her rip...fall off is so big it goes off right with the loader... Dice a log up quick, salvage what I can, and still end up with stacks of nice lumber...just sawed up 16 logs Tuesday by myself using this method. Just wanted to get rid of the spoiled logs and salvage what I could before it was truly too late...move onto something better without total loss...I'd saw those up for your client, just let him know about the losses to expect, bill hourly, and saw using this method. That way your not wasting your time and his money...you can still make your client happy letting him know he can still get a pile of useful lumber rather than nothing at all...
bk

Banjo picker

You can actually hear those larvae in the wood eating it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

4x4American

I just sawed some pine that was cut in december 2014 that I had laying around, stacked up off the ground.  There was some holes in the bark, but nothing that worried me.  The lumber came out nice.
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

This pine was down for 6 years almost touching the ground.
The branches gave it some air space.
The tree died a few years before that.
Very little bad wood....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

taylorsmissbeehaven

I declined the job. There is a bit more to the story. The logs had to be moved from the property they were on to a location to cut them. My property is 10 minutes from the log location and the client is an hour away. So, it would be buying the logs, paying me to move the logs, and then paying to saw the logs. I felt that my client would not come out well here. I would also be left to deal with these large slabs. I have  just upgraded to an LT 35HD so that I would not have to move large piles of logs around anymore. My equipment is small and slow and I decided a larger mill that was portable was the best choice to upgrade too. (my back loves it as well)Thank you all for your input, I greatly appreciate it, Brian

petefrom bearswamp

I have sawed pine and some Norway spruce with grub damage.
Sold it to customers who were siding sheds etc with no adverse feedback from the cust.
I did tell them at the onset that there were some holes in the boards.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Sometimes "No" is the correct answer, both for you and the customer.  Good communication is essential to build a lasting provider/client relationship. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taylorsmissbeehaven

You are exactly right Magic. I did not want my customer to be blinded by excitement and then disappointed with the end result. He has me cut lumber for him and he resells it. I did not see the $ working out for him on this one. We have dealt with one another for long enough now that I know how he is and he trusts me.I would like to make some $ with the new mill but I don't want that to get in the way of a quality product ;) Brian

Thank You Sponsors!