iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Widow maker galore

Started by 101mph, August 10, 2015, 08:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101mph

Had a big storm roll through last weekend at our cottage. I finally got up there to see the damage for myself.

This is a picture someone across the lake took of the storm before it hit:

Thankfully no damage to our cottage. My shed had a close call.

Pretty unbelievable what happened in the back 40....

And those are only a few if the trees that were destroyed. There were a bunch of huge maples that were blown over and uprooted.

I already snagged a good amount of real nice cherry. I'm going try getting some of the less dangerous maples next week.

mesquite buckeye

That is very scary. :( :o electricuted-smiley franken-smiley spidey-smiley
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Nice looking cherry though. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

101mph

Yes for sure. They were saying winds were between 70 to 100mph gusts! :o

This was the one that knocked out everyone's power and trapped them there until it could be removed (this is the only road in and out).

samandothers

Be careful unweaving all that mess!  I would not want to cut the tree of those lines, a lot of energy stored there too!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

That is a kick in the gut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

HiTech

That looks a little like the "Micro Burst" that hit us in "95". What a mess that made of the woods. It hit around 4:30 am where I was and I thought the World was coming to an end. Spent two weeks with a chainsaw in hand clearing out roads and taking trees off houses. I had never seen a storm like that before. Thankfully many people were gone on vacation when it hit. Lots of homes were destroyed by big trees landing on them. If the occupants were home they could have been seriously injured or worse. Some of trees had so much pressure on them they would just explode if you tried to cut them...very dangerous. 

petefrom bearswamp

Blowdowns can be very dangerous to work with.
We had planned to leave the pig roast and travel to the UP but went south to visit an old friend near Detroit instead.
Glad we made that decision as Chet posted about the storm and we would have been near there.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Warped

Quote from: HiTech on August 11, 2015, 01:56:16 AM
That looks a little like the "Micro Burst" that hit us in "95". What a mess that made of the woods. It hit around 4:30 am where I was and I thought the World was coming to an end. Spent two weeks with a chainsaw in hand clearing out roads and taking trees off houses. I had never seen a storm like that before. Thankfully many people were gone on vacation when it hit. Lots of homes were destroyed by big trees landing on them. If the occupants were home they could have been seriously injured or worse. Some of trees had so much pressure on them they would just explode if you tried to cut them...very dangerous.
I remember camping and boating around the St. Lawrence after that micro burst. The damage was pretty scary. I also remember when one went through the NY State Fair, some poor guy lost his life. I believe a tree fell on his camper. A second one went through not too long go as well.
Good luck with the clean up.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

101mph

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 11, 2015, 09:14:44 AM
Blowdowns can be very dangerous to work with.
We had planned to leave the pig roast and travel to the UP but went south to visit an old friend near Detroit instead.
Glad we made that decision as Chet posted about the storm and we would have been near there.

Yes good thing.

I talked to a guy yesterday that said they closed down I-75 at Grayling around 4:30pm that Sunday. He was driving home from Gaylord to Detroit area....took him over 8 hours.  :o

NH-Murph

I had a lot of similar damage after a recent storm around here.  I haven't seen winds like that since I was on Cape Cod for Hurricane Gloria!  I think I'm still digging underwear out of my butt from getting one particular sugar maple that was snapped off and twisted around down to ground level... Definitely had more luck than skill going for me.  Scary stuff dealing with blowdowns!

Ron Scott

Yes, a lot of damage to a lot of our forested area, especially that along out northwest lake shore. The Traverse City and Glen Arbor areas were hit especially hard.
~Ron

101mph

What amazes me is that some these trees were snapped off like a match stick 30'...40' up. Big trees too. I'd say in the neighborhood of 14" to 18" in diameter. I can't imagine what that wind must've been like and the sound that would've made.

Ken

A year ago on July 4 we had a storm categorized as a post tropical storm blow thru this area.  Destroyed thousands of acres of woodland.  We've been cleaning it up for over a year although much of the timber is now worthless.  As has been mentioned if cleaning it up by hand be extra careful.  A lot of stress in blown over and bent trees.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

We were at Toys-R-Us in TC when the storm hit.  Impressive display by Mother Nature to say the least.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

101mph

... and the hits just keep on coming....

This one came down yesterday and took the power lines down. I don't know how these lines are still intact. Neighbor said there were some wind gusts, but not too bad. I really didn't think this tree was going to come down that easy the way it was hung up.

Again this is right next door (that's my sign on the tree). I feel like I'm at ground zero  :D

petefrom bearswamp

Ron,
Are  salvage operations viable there ?
Here harvesters are reluctant to undertake them
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ed_K

Nice sign  8) did you carve it?
Ed K