iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large Frick Circle Mill

Started by SycamoreValley, August 09, 2015, 02:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SycamoreValley

Hello,

This is my first post, however I have been reading this forum for some time.  I recently acquired a big old Frick circle mill and I would like to figure out the model and approximate age.  I was thinking a #3?

The mill has a 58" head saw and a 30" top saw.  65' of wood framed track. The carriage is not original but is a 15' 4 block 5 axle steel unit.  I have not dug the original out of the barn yet, but looks to be about 12' with a 6' extension.  The original is wood.

It was a hand mill originally but at some-point converted to hydraulic operation with automatic setworks.

Any information on this mill would be greatly appreciated.

Now I have to figure out how to post pictures.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Welcome Alex, other than curiosity the model and year don't make much difference its all condition. Measure the diameter of the arbor that should help thems that know Fricks. Also the distance from the retracted headblocks to the saw but you say its not the original carriage. Was everything under cover or in the blue sky ware house. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SycamoreValley

Thanks for the welcomes.

I'm curious about this mill's history as it is bigger than most Fricks I have seen.  Its in good shape for its age and has been inside all its life.  I'm currently moving it in pieces to my barn until I decide on where to set it up.

Here is a picture of the carriage.  More to come.

Alex

bandmiller2

Looks like a good find mate. Did it have a log turner, what did they use for power.?? Frank C.

SycamoreValley

The log turner was gone when I got to it. It was powered with a 150kw John Deere generator from what I here.  I did get a Frick 3 blade edger, a Powers resaw, and a Powers four side planer. All run with electric motors and belts.

bandmiller2

Sounds like your in the lumber business now. Frank C.

SycamoreValley

It does look that way, doesn't it, Frank?  Lol.

I measured some more parts today as I am still looking to figure out the model of this mill...

The mandrel is 3" in diameter.

The original carriage is 15' with 6 axles and the extension piece is 7'-6" long with 3 axles.  The wheels are 11" in diameter.

From what I understand, the four headblocks on the steel carriage came off of the original carriage. These look like they can open to 41".

I hope this helps with the ID of the mill.

A 58" saw on the left and a 54" on the right.

The original carriage where it sets , next to a '46? Plymouth.

Alex

snowshoveler

That is a huge mill..to me anyway. I tried to count the teeth on the blades. Looks like 58 or 60. That will require some good power to run. Would love to see it re assembled and running in person. Must have put a lot of lumber out in its day.
Thanks for the pics.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Kbeitz

I got a huge Frick mill right next door to me.
If you all need pictures of any parts just let me know...
It's powered by a 600 hp Detroit diesel...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SycamoreValley

I'd like to see some pictures of the mill and the 600HP Detroit. Sounds like quite an operation.

On another note, is there a specific time that Frick changed from wood framed mills to steel frame?

Thanks for the responses.

Alex

bandmiller2

Alex, I would say you have a Frick #1 their largest size, if the collars are 6" in diameter along with the 3" arbor. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Alex, you are going to need some serious power to fully utilize your mill, forget gasoline farm tractors and all but the largest diesel tractors. We don't know where your located but almost every area has a company that refurbishes fire apparatus. The equipment updates require a new approved diesel and their are many pulled engines laying fallow. Most of the engines are Detroit diesels that have not seen a lot of miles and were cared for, many have never sat outside on a cold night. Before you set up your mill visit local mills, if there are any in your area, and see how they handle things. No close mill go to Google or you tube for the most efficient layouts. Heavy mill need a heavy foundation, and a roof is a must. Frank C.

dgdrls

Hello SycamoreValley

Nothing like a big circle mill to add some "spice" to the forum smiley_thumbsup

Look forward to watching this build,

Best
Dgdrls

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, SycamoreValley.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ddcuning

Welcome SycamoreValley! Good to see another Frick mill here. When I was doing research on my Frick 00, I found some documentation about Frick making a #3 Jumbo mill that had a top saw on it. I have never seen one but there is a parts catalog on ebay for it. Not sure if that catalog has any other specifics in it or if it is for what you have.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

SycamoreValley

Sorry for the delayed response - I have been away for the past week or so.  Thanks again for all of the welcomes!

Frank, I hear what you are saying in terms of big power.  I was thinking a 100KW genset with a 6-71 Detroit for power might work well since I have the electric motors that ran this thing.  I'll have to look around for a place that works on fire apparatus, that is a good idea.  I live in SE PA so there are some large circle mills I can look at set up.  Thanks for the good suggestions.

Dave, glad to hear from you - I enjoyed reading about your mill when I was dreaming about old Fricks.  I have seen the parts manual you mention on Ebay, that is what made me think it was a No. 3.  That and the original carriage has 11" wheels while a No. 1 has 10" wheels.  I have not seen a No. 1 with a top saw, but I am no expert either.  I have not been able to find much of anything about the No. 3 on the web. 

Did Frick make wood and metal husked saws concurrently or were the wood framed saws phased out when the metal saws were introduced?

Thank you all for your help.

Alex

bandmiller2

Sounds like a good plan Alex. A 6-71 Detroit should have the moxie and you can put it a distance in an engine house so you can hear yourself think. Frank C.

Lumber Grader

Frickco, Inc. - Albright Saw Co Inc.
www.fricksawmills.com/

Try these folks.  They bought all the old blueprints Frick used to have and they sell any new Frick Parts you may need. I am confident if you contact them, they could probably answer about any question regarding any Frick Sawmill.
Kindest Regards,
Lumber Grader aka Wade

ddcuning

Alex,
I the 00 like mine was never built in steel so when you find a 00 in steel, it has been converted. With regards to the others, I am not sure. I think that the 01 was wood then switched to steel but not sure of the details. If you want more info on yours, I would also suggest calling D&D Sawmill Parts and Service in Chambersburg, PA. I am sure Don can give you the information you are looking for on your mill.

Dave C

SPD748

Whats this?  ??? ??? ???

Another Frick with DETROIT power?

Welcome to the forum!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

SycamoreValley

Dave and Lee, I am glad you both found this!  I have read the threads on your sawmill projects and they have given me a lot of inspiration for this project.

I got in contact with Frick Co., they have been very helpful in finding some more information about the mill.  It turns out it is a Frick #1, with an optional top saw.  However, the date of manufacture is hard to determine without the serial number tag on the husk.  I doubt it's still there but I'll be looking for that under the dirt and grease.

Do any of you still have the tag on an old Frick like this?  What does it look like?

Brian_Rhoad

The tag is square or rectangular. I think they were brass. The numbers are stamped into the tag. I think the tags are usually on the husk near the carriage control handle.

SycamoreValley

I found the tag under some grease and sawdust.  It confirms the size as a No. 1 and shows a serial number of 19877.  Frick Co. could not tell me anything more about the serial number as they do not have a master list.  Does anyone know if a serial number list exists?

ddcuning

There isn't a master list that I know of.

I just saw a #1 on CL in Atlanta for sale and talked with D&D Sawmill Parts about it. They said the #1 was not as desirable as the 01 but didn't say why. May be parts availability from their standpoint. Looked in the CL add to be a nice mill with lots of carriage axles and set up for large logs. If I didn't have my 00, I would probably look at that #1. I am currently in the process of selling off some projects so I can focus on saw milling and woodworking so I don't need another project no mater what the price is.

Dave C

Thank You Sponsors!