iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In-line muzzeloader opinions. UPDATE

Started by gspren, August 09, 2015, 01:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I am thinking about getting an in-line for the early deer season opportunities in PA and DE, I have never fired one. While at the Pig Roast I looked at a few at Jays and the CVA Optima and Accura felt good but again I haven't fired any so what do experienced people recommend and why?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

dutchman

Bought the TC Pro Hunter in-line for last season.
It killed 3 doe, FIL,BIL, and myself. Shoots just like a rifle, 100 yds dead on.
Here in Allegheny Co., no high powered rifles aloud, so I thought it was the best option.
I also liked the idea of buying different calibers.
Already have a 35 Whelen ready for bear, and someday elk.

I did have to find a good load.

Magicman

Gary, The Optima served me well.  Our deer population is such that they now allow all firearms in all seasons on private land so the muzzle loader was retired.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

I bought a used Remington Model 700 .50 caliber several years ago for late-season deer hunting. Some day soon I hope to hunt with it. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

gspren

Quote from: Magicman on August 09, 2015, 06:39:43 PM
Gary, The Optima served me well.  Our deer population is such that they now allow all firearms in all seasons on private land so the muzzle loader was retired.
Ship it up here for the Oct seasons and I'll loosen it up for you.

Ron Scott

I have the TC Triumph 50 cal. in-line. It has done well. I'm partial to the Thompson Centers since I have 3 of them.
~Ron

Magicman

Quote from: gspren on August 09, 2015, 09:52:19 PMShip it up here for the Oct seasons and I'll loosen it up for you.
How 'bout I just ship you some deer??   ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tmarch

After some shooting and lots of cleaning a round ball and patch Thompson Center and several others I bought a Savage that uses smokeless powder.  A little more technical to load but it will shoot and doesn't need cleaned any more than a center fire so 8) 8) 8).
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

gspren

Quote from: Magicman on August 10, 2015, 08:24:29 AM
Quote from: gspren on August 09, 2015, 09:52:19 PMShip it up here for the Oct seasons and I'll loosen it up for you.
How 'bout I just ship you some deer??   ???   :D
Is that cut, wrapped, and frozen? I could just send a list of what cuts we want.  8)

Magicman

As you know, they just leave their heads lying everywhere.   ::)

jdonovan

another vote for the TC line.

An added plus on the TC encore, is you can get a center fire barrel, and use the same frame/stock for 'regular' rifle season if you wanted to. And there are a number of custom shops that will chamber nearly anything that meets the pressure limits of TC design.

The other stick in the safe is the savage 10ml, which is a smokeless powder muzzle loader. Can also use pyrodex. The thing is very accurate, no smoke, and very reasonable to get supplies for.

If I had to pick just one, its the TC encore, because of the utility of the switch-barrel system.

Pine Ridge

I have a thompson center omega 50 caliber that shoots good, pretty easy to clean. Mine has black synthetic stock, blued barrel. I personally like wood stocks.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

coxy

I have 2 cva  50cal that are great  easy to load and clean I just use a 20g brush its a little tighter than the 50cal brush

WV Sawmiller

I use a Thompson Thunderhawk. Accurate enough, synthetic stock, light weight. I consider it a pain to clean and the small #11 percussion caps are hard to fit over the nipple but was a gift. If I were buying a new one I'd get a breakdown, stainless model just because the black powder makes them rust so bad. I use the pellets and bought a box of sabbots and .45 bullets for my .50 rifle. More accurate than round balls and cheaper to shoot.

Shot one big doe in the head with it last year. She ran about 30 yards and fell then got up. I went to reload and broke my ramrod about half way down the barrel. She ran off when I climbed down. Got another ramrod and came back to track her but lost the trail where turkeys had torn up the ground. Got my rat terrier and went back but he could not find her. We did find her 2 weeks later. She had come down the hill and died 100 yards from my house in neighbors lot. I'd much rather have missed clean.

I do think everybody needs a good muzzleloader where the state has a season for their use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Scott

I also have a 50 cal. TC Thunderhawk, but with a wooden stock and also a 50 cal Renegade Hunter.
~Ron

rooster 58

I have the tc hunter. I cannot change calibers. I shot a bull elk with it in New Mexico 2 yrs ago at 250 yds.
The savage smokeless is not produced any more

E fan

I have two inlines one KNIGHT MK93 and a T/C ENDEAVOR PRO HUNTER I will hunt with either and both have served me well.
I did learn this though try Blackhorn 209 powder and measure it out as by weight and you'll be amazed at the accurracy as compared to triple 7 or other black powder

gspren

Yesterday afternoon I drove over to my favorite gun shop to see what he stocked and he's on vacation until 18 August so I have at least another week to read up about them. Keep sending suggestions, I'm researching the guns you guys suggest. Gun shopping is almost as much fun as hunting, almost.

Delawhere Jack

Savage made one a few years ago, based on one of their bolt action rifles. My BIL got one, and it has ballistics more like a modern centerfire rifle, better than a 30-30. IIRC, it actually used smokeless powder. Good out to 150yrds easy, maybe 200. Savage stopped making them because they were too expensive to manufacture. Winks' sporting goods in Princess Ann MD bought all of the remaining stock from Savage, 200 or more rifles. Don't know if he has any left.

I remember there was some controversy in DE about allowing it to be used because of it's long range ability. There is no rifle season of any kind in DE. Even downstate, you're never more than a mile from a residence.

Very accurate gun, but seating the bullet was a real task, very tight bore.

WV Sawmiller

Rooster,

I don't understand when you say you can't change calibers. I'm not using different barrels.

Any .50 muzzleloader should shoot a .45 bullet if it is in a sabot. Just get the sabot to match your muzzleloader and the bullet to match the sabot. Modern hunting bullets have better performance specs than round balls or miniballs.

Although, if you can kill an elk at 250 yards with your present loads I don't know that I'd change anything. Sounds like you are getting good results as is.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rooster 58

Wv sawmiller,
      What I meant was that I cannot change barrels to shoot centerfire calibers. My bad.
     Yeah, I had very good results with black or 209 powder. Much cleaner and very accurate. I believe I was shooting 100grs of powder with the tc bullet. I was shooting 4" groups with it at 300 yds. I was very impressed  ;)

gspren

DE Jack, are there any public deer hunting areas in northern DE? I have located some areas in lower DE which is near my Fenwick house but up in your area would be handy from my PA house. I think the in-line muzzleloader can be used in any DE gun season which is why I want one.

Chuck White

I have a "wood-stocked" TC Encore, 50cal that I bought way back when they first came out.

Seems the price was right around $300.00 back then.

It's taken quite a few deer.

I shoot it with two 50gr Pyrodex and a TC sabot with a 44cal cast swc inserted.

I have had a scope on it, but took it off in favor of the peep sight!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jemclimber

Quote from: rooster 58 on August 11, 2015, 05:52:27 PM
The savage smokeless is not produced any more

Some of them blew up.  A friend of mine had one that did while sighting it in.  He had his hand on top of the scope and went to the hospital, luckily still has his hand. I have pictures I'll see if I can find of the barrel. The hand pictures are a little "ugly".   
lt15

rooster 58

That's why I would be hesitant about the Savage. Blachorn powder is much cleaner than pyrodex. You still have to clean, but not after every shot. And it provides  excellent  accuracy

Thank You Sponsors!