iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choosing the right model kubota.

Started by brendonv, August 09, 2015, 09:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 15, 2015, 09:59:28 AM
I like his these threads go.

Question: What kind of Kubota should I buy?
Answer: A New Holland.

Yeah, I figured it might be taken that way. Really, I was just trying to give some feedback on size/weight/HP - and the idea that dealer support can make a big difference. I'm not up on the current Kubota model designations... haven't looked in any detail at tractors since back in 2001 or 2002 (at which point I explored NH and Kubota in great detail, along with a host of others). So I can't be much help there.

I will say that I have only once run into someone who wished they had bought a smaller tractor, and that was a guy who had a big project to start with, but then not much that was demanding after that. Had I gone for the next size up, I'd no doubt be thinking that it "suits my needs" as well. But I probably also would have developed some different work methods over the years to match the equipment capabilities.

Most tractor owners I've run into fall into two categories:

• The tractor I have is the best. You need to get the same thing. (Never mind that I'm mowing the lawn and hauling the occasional bucket load of compost for the garden with mine, and you want to pull multiple 24" x 16' oak logs with yours)
  • Get BIG!! You can never have too much (or enough?) tractor. You need a minimum of 65 HP, an enclosed cab and a forwarding trailer with a knuckleboom grapple to bring in your 3.5 cords of firewood each year... and while you are at it, don't forget the firewood processor.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

I wasn't commenting on you specifically, but on the general concept of thread derailment. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John Mc

I understood your comment and was not at all offended by it (I did hesitate to mention my brand). I get a chuckle out of that phenomenon as well:

Q: I want to by a Stihl saw, because the dealer is fantastic, 2 miles from me, and will drop off and pick up my saw on his way home if there is ever a problem. Which model should I get?

A: Husky is the only way to go!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

gww

Everybody seems to agree to get bigger.  I would like a bit bigger then the L3300 kabota that I use.  16 inch logs are good but a 18 to 2o inch one brings the back wheels off the ground.  It does drag ok on dry ground though.  The one thing I like about the smaller tractor is the ease my turck will pull it on a 16 foot trailer with out trailer brakes.  I don't have a bigger tractor to compare it with but do believe it was mentioned earlier that how you haul it could be important.  My dad had a backhoe that will lift lots more but can't be moved on the road without hireing some one.

You may think you will never need to move it from location but that has not been my experience. If a 40 or 50 horse tractor could be moved with my type of equiptment, I believe I would like it better.  I know the L3300 can be moved easily cause I do it all the time.
Good luck
gww

John Mc

Good point, GWW. I don't have a trailer or tow vehicle that will move even my little tractor, so if I can't drive it there on the road, or bug a friend to haul it for me, it isn't going. Fortunately for me, most of my work is done at home, or within a 35 minute tractor drive away. I do wish I lived a bit closer to the dealer, though.

thecfarm

Models numbers get me confused no matter what kind of tractor they are.   ::) I use to haul a 40 hp tractor behind my ¾ ton truck. I never hauled it more than 40 miles and that was only twice,but it did it fine.  Trailer had brakes or it would of been a whole diffeant story behind me. Dealer support is what I look for
I like the way some people try to tell me what I should buy too.  ::) need another one of those to get my point across.  ::)  These are the ones that mow the land with it,might scrap up a little loose sand at the end of thier hot top driveway. They MIGHT put 100 hours a year on it. Than they have the nerve to tell me,I never have trouble with mine brand. Next I say,With 800 hours on it,I hope you don't have any trouble either.
Maybe we should get going on what type of tires to use.   :D What to load the tires with too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dixon700

I had an l2500 28hp tractor it wasn't enough tractor for the abuse I put it through. It did way more than what it was designed for and took a heck of a beating before I broke it in half... I had wished my tractor was at least a 48hp tractor thay weighed a few thousand lbs more. It's replacement was my '94 case 580sk which was way on the other end of the spectrum. It has some serious weight over 17k lbs. Fel will also lift 5500lbs to full dump height of 14'. Mahindra seems to make a fine tractor also. My grandpa had bought a Mahindra max 23 and it's quite a bit smaller than the l2500 was, but it seems like it's amount of work output was quite similar. I almost bought a 50hp Mahindra with fel and 11'backhoe, but I had found the case. Anymore I do a lot more digging than skidding trees plus the tlb seems to skid ok when needed.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Left Coast Chris

We purchased a new MX5200 recently and really love it.   It weighs around 4500 lbs and is 4wd.   It is 52 HP and out pulls my MF135 2WD by a wide margin.    It out weighs the comparable L series  and has more hydraulic capacity.    The stearing radius in 9' which is great to get around in tight places.   We also got the hydrostatic trany and like it a lot.   Saves the knee when doing a lot of forward/reverse.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

brendonv

I found an L3800 with less than 100 hrs. 2013. Comes with rear mower, leaf blower, front end loader, and snow plow. Hst trans. 19,900. Sounds like a really good deal?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

NH-Murph

That does sound like a fine deal.  Sounds like you would be paying about the right money for the tractor/loader and getting the implements for free.  My only qualm would be the HST, but that's a personal preference thing.  I bet if you don't jump on that deal, someone else will before too long. 

FYI, I was recently tractor shopping myself, and looked at several L3800 Kubotas.  I do recall that most did not have rear hydraulic remotes.  Not everyone needs them, and they are easy enough to add, but just one more thing to keep in mind.

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't be without HST on a compact tractor, especially one with a loader. Once you use HST, trying to do loader work without it is like trying to run with no legs.

Dave Shepard

That sounds like a really good deal. A friend bought a new 3710 in 2000 for the same money without the implements. Looks like just about the same spec tractor.

Magicman

Since I am not up with the model numbers, is that L3800 a 4WD?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2015, 08:08:32 AM

The model was available in 2WD gear, 4WD gear, and 4WD hydro. Since it's an HST, it must be 4WD (unless tractordata.com got the options wrong).

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Brendonv - it does sound like a good deal, if it hasn't been beaten to death on those 100 hours. I'd jump on it, if that's the size you have decided works for you.

It's a similar size and weight to my New Holland TC33D, but you've got a few more HP than I do. I use mine in the woods all the time. I filled my rear tires for a bit more weight and traction. Chains for the rear wheels may come in handy as well, depending on what tires you have, and the conditions in which you operate (I've got R4 tires, and chains are pretty much a requirement on ice or snow. I got ladder-style with v-bars, since I couldn't find duo-grip or other forestry style mat chains.)

I've had it for more than 10 years. Just recently added a belly pan to protect the undercarriage (the HST hydraulic filter up inside the right rear wheel has gotten knocked off twice, though neither was in the woods). That's something you may want to consider adding to yours. Mine was done by a local fab shop who has experience in that area - you really want someone who puts thought into making access easy for greasing and other maintenance. I also added limb risers and FOPS while it was in the shop. Now that I have the limb risers, I don't know how I got along without them.

beenthere

Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2015, 08:08:32 AM

MM
4WD is an option. Here is a link... (sorry John Mc, missed your post of the same link)

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/7/8/6784-kubota-l3800.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

But he mentioned hydro transmission, which only came with 4WD

Ox

In my years of farming and general messing around with equipment the biggest factor I've found (in general) is weight.  Lots of weight and good traction are the two biggest things you need to get work done.  A heavy tractor with low power is hard to break.  But be careful adding weight to a light machine, it'll make it so you can break it.  Think army trucks.  Simple, heavy, overbuilt and underpowered.  Tough as nails because of this.  This is why I bought a Zetor tractor.  Heaviest machine in its class.  Simple, rugged, pulls things it should have no business even looking at.  Over 4,000 lift on the 3 pt. hitch.  Cheap to buy, cheap to fix and maintain.  Parts available in USA from mail order, one dealer an hour away.  I realize this has no info toward Kubota but perhaps it may help with your thinking in a way?

Hi gww.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

Andries

Learning a lot from this thread - diversions, wanders and all.
Quote from: John Mc on August 30, 2015, 09:11:04 AM
I also added limb risers and FOPS while it was in the shop. Now that I have the limb risers, I don't know how I got along without them.
I bought a Ford 545C this spring, as I wasn't finding Kubotas in my price range.
Wondered what "limb risers" are?
Something like a step to get up and on the tractor?   :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

beenthere

Andries
QuoteWondered what "limb risers" are?

They are the bars that angle up from the front end to the ROPS that sweep limbs and brush up out of your face when driving through the woods.

brendonv
Nice looking rig. Do you have it home yet?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!