Thursday it sounds like.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Andries

Quote from: beenthere on August 30, 2015, 12:40:30 PM
Andries
QuoteWondered what "limb risers" are?
They are the bars that angle up from the front end to the ROPS that sweep limbs and brush up out of your face when driving through the woods.
Ahh, like the full sized skidders have - makes sense, got it, and thank you.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

John Mc

Quote from: Andries on August 30, 2015, 12:35:21 PM
Learning a lot from this thread - diversions, wanders and all...
Wondered what "limb risers" are?
Something like a step to get up and on the tractor?   :D

Here's a pic of the limb risers I had added to my tractor recently. Sooo much more comfortable working in the woods now. The guy who fabricated them often adds protection in the front (a "windsheild" of sorts), engine side protection, and a screen on the back of the ROPS, but my logging winch screen covers the back, and I passed on the others for now. You can't see it in the picture, but there is an expanded metal mesh top on this to keep widow makers from dropping on my head. He normally puts solid metal up there, but I asked for the mesh. I figured I would want the visibility. (In retrospect, I'd give up the visibility to keep those DanG cedar "crumbs" from dropping down my shirt when I scrape under a branch. I'll probably change all or most of the top to something solid in the future.)

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Andries

Brendonv:
The Kubota tractor in the photo is a beaut. With all the attachments you mentioned, it looks and sounds like a good deal.
My son is an arborist as well, and we've found that ground clearance, weight and power are the critical details when matching the machine to the work. He uses a Gehl AL20DX for urban tree work. Turf tires, log grapple on the front and a great Kubota three banger diesel. He can get logs through fence gates and not leave tire ruts on lawns. However, around the log yard and near the mill, the Ford 545C has carrying capacity and reach that the Gehl can't match.
You mentioned a log winch as one of your needs at the start of the thread. If you fitted the Kubota with R4 or Ag tires, would you be able to do the log pulling that you described?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

brendonv

I have little use for it on my residential properties we work on. My ditch witch sk755 does the grunt work there. I'm planning on the tractor for a life long investment on my own properties, fitting with a logging winch and possibly being able to do small clearings if nessessary. I want to get into a pre emmission tractor mostly, and finding one with such low hours would be like having it from
New. Having the winch would come in handy on my jobs tho, as we could use it on a job we're on now where the customer is eventually going to want the logs hauled off the hill side.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

One more. 96.4 hrs. This might get me in trouble with the misses.

www.VorioTree.com

Banjo picker

Looks like you already made your mind up, but here is my rig.  Its a M7040 I use it to load logs on the mill, drag logs, or hook to my homemade winch.

I could even disk up a garden spot if I wanted to.   ;)   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thechknhwk

Brendonv, Looks familiar ;D  Works awesome, but wish I had bought an M series for the loader.

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

thechknhwk

The M series loader will lift a little over 2k lbs, and this one lifts about 1200lbs.  Seems a little wimpy at times.  You won't be picking up any 20" twelve foot logs.

brendonv

More to the confusion. Why do manufactures gotta use so many numbers and letters.

Yours is a l3800?  Can you give me a ring to briefly discuss? 

My number is in the signature links.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

So the deal with the 3800 fell thru. The current owners reasons for selling was relocation south. Something fell thru with his deal so he stll needs the tractor currently. I guess hes still looking so hell keep my number as it might go up again.

I found a 50 hr l4600 but i think thats a bit large for my taste and i think its a Thailand model.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

Sooooo ive got a 2012 kubota l3800 hst with 30 hours en route.  Different then the one i posted, this one has industrial tires thankfully.

Im new to tractors.  Ill be looking for a 3pt winch. Do these come with pto shafts, or something a tractor owner usually has? 

Im also looking for suggestions on tire chains, do i need front chain also?  Mostly for winter but if i do smaller clearings i might throw them on. 

My plans include forest hardening it in house over the winter. And probably adding a snow blower and front remote hydraulics eventually.  Gotta hide it until i get my girlfriend a ring, she wont be too happy otherwise.  :)

www.VorioTree.com

beenthere

The 3 pt winch will come with the PTO shaft.

QuoteMy plans include forest hardening it in house over the winter.
I didn't follow this... maybe a typo?

Chains will be good, and especially with the R-4 Industrial tires.

Sounds like a real nice rig.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brendonv

I will ad limb risers, skid plate, head protection over the winter. I will build this myself.

www.VorioTree.com

thechknhwk

John Mc

When you add the belly plate, think carefully about what you might need to access and how often. Mine curls up the side with a piece to cover the engine oil filter - this piece of the belly pan is small enough to remove easily, without having to use a jack to lower it.  Both of my belly pan pieces has holes in the to allow grease gun access to various zerks without removing the pan. I've also seen the same thing accomplished on larger tractors than mine by running tubes out from where the original zerk was mounted to a remote zerk that is easier to reach when the belly pan is on (I did not see how this made a connection to where the original zerk was, but I assume there is some sort of off-the-shelf fitting to do this).

If you haven;t seen this type of installation before, try to get around to look at a couple - you'll usually find a couple of "gee, I wouldn't have thought of that" features.  Some manufacturers have factory belly pans available a well. You might pick up some good ideas from those.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

NH-Murph

All the new winches I was looking at came with a shaft.  You will probably have to cut it to length so it doesn't bind up anywhere within the range of motion of your hitch.  I know I am going to try and avoid front chains.  There is an age old debate on front chains.

Dixon700

What's the debate about on front chains?
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

NH-Murph

Will front ends hold up or not.  It's pretty easy to tear up a front axle with chains on the front tires.

beenthere

NH-
How can it be "easy to tear up"?
I do "chains on the fronts" on my Deere, and no problem that I've noticed.

So am curious, where are the facts?

Appreciate your input.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NH-Murph

I know of a few tractors that didn't hold up more than a few years when they got a front set.  Perhaps it has a bit to do with the operator and terrain they are being used in, but I have both been and been told of the additional traction causing problems.  Maybe a non issue for someone who operates with caution and avoids excessive wheelspin, but I have seen problems occur. 

brendonv

Thanks For the replies and suggestions. Im als considering a snow blower if anyone has recommendations.

www.VorioTree.com

North River Energy

Bought a used 5' Kubota front mount blower a few years ago.  As I recall, the blower fan is/was quite a bit larger than most of the other brands.  Alas, they don't exactly give them away, and if you find a good used, make sure the chute rotator motor isn't seized.  Apparently meltwater can get past the seals...
At least in a truck application, front chains enhance steering, and serve as 'paddles' if you get off the packed surface. Unless Kubota warns off the practice, you should be fine if you operate with finesse/discretion. 
E.g., adopt a light throttle foot and avoid sharp turns at full load with weight in the bucket.

LRFD5

When I worked at a Kubota dealership a few years ago, yes there was a problem with the front chains. The main ones we saw issues with were the ones that, as said before, did excessive spinning and snagged a stump or something, but also more so, the ones that wanted a "smooth ride" so they only chained the front tires. That's a whole lot of load for that little axle.

Thank You Sponsors!