iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choosing the right model kubota.

Started by brendonv, August 09, 2015, 09:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

I'd like to keep my eye out for a pre emission kubota with front loader I can put a logging winch on

I have no experience in regard to them, but do have a 32 hp d1105-t engine in my skid loader.

Can anyone recommend a few model numbers that work, and explain what the model numbers stand for?  There's a few low hr ones on my local classifieds so if something came up is consider one eventually.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

beenthere

Here is a place to start, at least a list of models, HP, and year of mfg.

And can get more info for any of the models by clicking the model #

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/kubota/kubota-tractors.html

For a winch, like a farmi or wallenstein, I'd go for 40 hp. I like my 32 hp, but it is on the 'weak' end of the skidding and winch scale.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I'm not up on current model numbers, but I highly recommend getting a hydro. My L48 is a little tank. The speed and precision of a hydro can't be matched.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

47sawdust

Brendon,
I have a 1985 L3750 with a BF900 loader.The loader will lift about 2000#.It is a solid built tractor with shuttle shift for clutch less shifting between forward and reverse,especially nice for snow removal or brush hogging.Other models from that family are L3350,4150,4850,and 5450.The first two numbers are the pto hp,engine hp is about 20% more.I run a Tafjun winch that is a great fit,their smallest model.I skid 10 cord annually as well as logs for the mill.This is my 4th Kubota the others were too small to fit my needs,mostly loader capacity.Good luck!
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Dave Shepard

We've been using a Wallenstein 90 at work. Not sure what hp range it is, but is about as small as I'd go on a compact tractor. I me the Farmi winches I've used better, they seem to be much more rugged.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wesdor

A friend had an L3400. From what I saw it was a good basic tractor.  If you can find one it is pre-emission
I have a Wallenstein winch and have been very happy with it.  I would try hard to match the winch size to the tractor. In other words don't go too large on the winch.

pineywoods

Kubota tractors ,except for some specialty types, come in 3 different series, from small to large, B, L and M. In general the first 2 numbers in the model number are the hp rating. B's are mostly garden or estate machines and usually not adequate for any kind of logging or sawmill support work. The L series is available in a wide range of hp and options. Generally considered compact or medium duty tractors. Very popular in construction work, generally considered an industrial tractor. The M series are full sized equipment, frequently fitted out for ag work. Hp ranges from 50 to "how much do you want". Used, M's can frequently be had for less than a comparable L, I bought a used M4700 2 wheel drive when I got my mill.  Winch on the 3pt, loader with forks on the front, liquid in the rear tires. In 12 years, maintenance has been 1 front tire, 1 battery, and 1 power steering hose that got pushed into the fan by a limb. It gets used heavily logging and in support of a woodmizer LT40. Oh the seat is in pretty rough shape  ;D For what I do it's a better choice than the L series.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

The two number tractors are the industrial machines. B21, L35, L39, L45, L48, M59 etc. If you want a backhoe, these are the models to look for.

brendonv

I don't foresee a backhoe. I have mini excavators available. Basically a woods/log machine. Winch first priority , then loader.

There is just so many models that confuses me.

So b models are toys. So possibly a m or l? 

I don't want huge either.  My mini skid steer does all my work now on my residential stuff .  Just thinking for winter work in the woods harvesting firewood, or the residential job where handy.

www.VorioTree.com

beenthere

Then you might want to consider transporting the tractor if that is your desire. Size/weight will have some effect on what you have or want to have available.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom L

I bought a 4240, at first I thought it was going to be too big
now I am happy I went with that series. it has done a great job for me.

NH-Murph

This combination has been working quite well for me.  It's not a Kubota, but the 40 HP tractor and Igland 4501 winch has really been working out well.  The tractor is just heavy enough that it'll get dragged around a little until the blade gets a good bite, but it won't up-end the tractor when it gets fetched up.  It's pulled significantly more wood in a hitch than I was expecting to.  It's right on the edge of being a little sketchy with my pickup, but I don't go too far.  For $3,250 I couldn't touch another 10,000 LB winch.   

Raider Bill

Mine is a L4200 4wd with glideshift. No complaints even on steep hills
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

samandothers

L4240 here and I do like it a lot.  But don't have winch.  It does pretty good.  Use a grapple a lot. Have had some large logs I basically had to drag with the grapple to the mill to then use the manual loader to load the log. Could be I give up some lift ability to the grapple weight.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NH-Murph

Quote from: thecfarm on August 10, 2015, 09:12:43 PM
NH-Murph,Nice set up you have there.

Thanks!  I'm having fun with it.  Sold all my go fast toys for a go slow toy.  3rd function valve for the loader and a Frost-Bite grapple are the next items I'm stacking up pennies for.  I looked at smaller tractors, but I am glad I went with this one.  It's heavy, (around 8k with the loader and tires loaded), has a gear and clutch transmission and will lift just about 3k with the loader and the hitch. 

petefrom bearswamp

Sold a piece of timberland a few years ago and the proceeds burned a hole in my pocket so bought an M series 85 HP Kubota with FEL and forks
With my Farmi winch it pulls all i want to within reason.
The FEL will pick enough that i sometimes have to put it in FWD to back up.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Brad_S.

I bought an L4600 (46hp) to replace a cantankerous old 801 series Ford. I now regret going with the L series and wish I had stepped up to the M series, specifically an M5100. While the L4600 is doing well, I would have liked the beefier frame, added weight and wider lift arm spread. The Kubota doesn't pull a 3 bottom plow through sod like the old Ford did because it is too light. I suspect the same issue would arise pulling logs in the woods. Been a trouble free machine though.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

brendonv

From what ive read, an M is a more basic less luxurious machine than an L?  Id prefer simple myself.

Ive also read a bit about hst vs Gst. Again, hst seemed "simpler".

Are the older fords any good?  Ive got an older customer who has an older ford, brand new condition waxed and stored inside with around 250 hrs. Id guess its 40-55 hp. Ive got to get the model number next time im there.  Ive told him numerous times ill take it when hes ready but i doubt that'll come anytime soon.

Im wondering if the dealers have any pre emmision machines left.  Also, theres no shortage of used machines on craigslist, so i guess its finding the right fit when ready.

www.VorioTree.com

47sawdust

brendon,
While I've only owned Kubotas,there are some awfully good Ford tractors out that are there equal.The 1920 and 2120 models are very user friendly nice open floor deck.Don't restrict your search to orange,blue is a great color,while some are partial to green.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

They are all just about the same. I had a kubota. Had trouble getting parts from 2 diffeant dealers. They both thought a week was no big deal.  ::) I went back to NH. If they don't have it,which most times they do,I can get it in 3 days. The salesmen lives here in town so he drops if off at my door step.
Depends on what you are doing with it. I have 2 tractors,one 30hp and one 40hp. The 40hp does the heavy work around here. I could use a small,30hp for the woods. I have taken the wife's into the woods a FEW times. Very easy to get around. That one does not have a loader either.The 40 can be kinda hard to just drive through the woods. I have to make roads for it. But I can do way more heavy work with my 40.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brendonv

Im starting to think 32-38 hp is plenty. 

I was leaning kubota because i already have one.  To me, getting all your filters and parts from one place is simple instead of running around.

www.VorioTree.com

tree-farmer

I have a L3400 with bucket and Woods backhoe. Could use a few more horsepower sometimes but all round great tractor for my needs. Used it 6 years now and still cannot figure how I got by without it.
Would buy another one today.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

John Mc

I have a New Holland TC 33D, 33HP diesel. It only weighs about 2500# bare. By the time I add the loader, logging winch, loaded rear tires, belly pan, limb-risers/FOPS, I'm probably up over 4000#. It's a good match for the Uniforest 35E logging winch I have on it (7700# of pull, similar specs to a Farmi 351).  I'd never make a living logging with it, but it suits my needs. I do occasionally wish for bigger and heavier tractor (it sure would be nice to be able to lift 2000# with my loader, rather than about 1100#, and sometimes I wish I had a little more weight on the ground when I'm trying to move a bigger tree), but I also appreciate that I can get into places with this one that I couldn't with a larger tractor.

The 33 HP does fine for the most part, but I wouldn't go any lower. Weight is just as important as frame size - you want the tractor pulling your tree around, not the other way around.  At the time I was buying, Kubotas of a similar size and HP were significantly lighter than the New Holland models. The weight didn't really drive my decision between brands, because the Kubotas were every bit as tough, and you can always add weight. I chose because of the dealer reputation. The New Holland Dealer in my area is GREAT, and only about 12 miles from my home. The only Kubota dealer at the time was over an hour away, and I just didn;t get a good vibe from them. The NH dealer eventually bought them out, [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] down that dealership, and moved the Kubotas up to the same lot with the NH tractors. If I were buying today, who knows which brand I would have ended up with - but I'd go back to that dealer in a heartbeat.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

I like his these threads go.

Question: What kind of Kubota should I buy?
Answer: A New Holland.

:D

Thank You Sponsors!