iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choosing the right model kubota.

Started by brendonv, August 09, 2015, 09:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

I'd like to keep my eye out for a pre emission kubota with front loader I can put a logging winch on

I have no experience in regard to them, but do have a 32 hp d1105-t engine in my skid loader.

Can anyone recommend a few model numbers that work, and explain what the model numbers stand for?  There's a few low hr ones on my local classifieds so if something came up is consider one eventually.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

beenthere

Here is a place to start, at least a list of models, HP, and year of mfg.

And can get more info for any of the models by clicking the model #

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/kubota/kubota-tractors.html

For a winch, like a farmi or wallenstein, I'd go for 40 hp. I like my 32 hp, but it is on the 'weak' end of the skidding and winch scale.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I'm not up on current model numbers, but I highly recommend getting a hydro. My L48 is a little tank. The speed and precision of a hydro can't be matched.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

47sawdust

Brendon,
I have a 1985 L3750 with a BF900 loader.The loader will lift about 2000#.It is a solid built tractor with shuttle shift for clutch less shifting between forward and reverse,especially nice for snow removal or brush hogging.Other models from that family are L3350,4150,4850,and 5450.The first two numbers are the pto hp,engine hp is about 20% more.I run a Tafjun winch that is a great fit,their smallest model.I skid 10 cord annually as well as logs for the mill.This is my 4th Kubota the others were too small to fit my needs,mostly loader capacity.Good luck!
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Dave Shepard

We've been using a Wallenstein 90 at work. Not sure what hp range it is, but is about as small as I'd go on a compact tractor. I me the Farmi winches I've used better, they seem to be much more rugged.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wesdor

A friend had an L3400. From what I saw it was a good basic tractor.  If you can find one it is pre-emission
I have a Wallenstein winch and have been very happy with it.  I would try hard to match the winch size to the tractor. In other words don't go too large on the winch.

pineywoods

Kubota tractors ,except for some specialty types, come in 3 different series, from small to large, B, L and M. In general the first 2 numbers in the model number are the hp rating. B's are mostly garden or estate machines and usually not adequate for any kind of logging or sawmill support work. The L series is available in a wide range of hp and options. Generally considered compact or medium duty tractors. Very popular in construction work, generally considered an industrial tractor. The M series are full sized equipment, frequently fitted out for ag work. Hp ranges from 50 to "how much do you want". Used, M's can frequently be had for less than a comparable L, I bought a used M4700 2 wheel drive when I got my mill.  Winch on the 3pt, loader with forks on the front, liquid in the rear tires. In 12 years, maintenance has been 1 front tire, 1 battery, and 1 power steering hose that got pushed into the fan by a limb. It gets used heavily logging and in support of a woodmizer LT40. Oh the seat is in pretty rough shape  ;D For what I do it's a better choice than the L series.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

The two number tractors are the industrial machines. B21, L35, L39, L45, L48, M59 etc. If you want a backhoe, these are the models to look for.

brendonv

I don't foresee a backhoe. I have mini excavators available. Basically a woods/log machine. Winch first priority , then loader.

There is just so many models that confuses me.

So b models are toys. So possibly a m or l? 

I don't want huge either.  My mini skid steer does all my work now on my residential stuff .  Just thinking for winter work in the woods harvesting firewood, or the residential job where handy.

www.VorioTree.com

beenthere

Then you might want to consider transporting the tractor if that is your desire. Size/weight will have some effect on what you have or want to have available.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom L

I bought a 4240, at first I thought it was going to be too big
now I am happy I went with that series. it has done a great job for me.

NH-Murph

This combination has been working quite well for me.  It's not a Kubota, but the 40 HP tractor and Igland 4501 winch has really been working out well.  The tractor is just heavy enough that it'll get dragged around a little until the blade gets a good bite, but it won't up-end the tractor when it gets fetched up.  It's pulled significantly more wood in a hitch than I was expecting to.  It's right on the edge of being a little sketchy with my pickup, but I don't go too far.  For $3,250 I couldn't touch another 10,000 LB winch.   

Raider Bill

Mine is a L4200 4wd with glideshift. No complaints even on steep hills
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

samandothers

L4240 here and I do like it a lot.  But don't have winch.  It does pretty good.  Use a grapple a lot. Have had some large logs I basically had to drag with the grapple to the mill to then use the manual loader to load the log. Could be I give up some lift ability to the grapple weight.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NH-Murph

Quote from: thecfarm on August 10, 2015, 09:12:43 PM
NH-Murph,Nice set up you have there.

Thanks!  I'm having fun with it.  Sold all my go fast toys for a go slow toy.  3rd function valve for the loader and a Frost-Bite grapple are the next items I'm stacking up pennies for.  I looked at smaller tractors, but I am glad I went with this one.  It's heavy, (around 8k with the loader and tires loaded), has a gear and clutch transmission and will lift just about 3k with the loader and the hitch. 

petefrom bearswamp

Sold a piece of timberland a few years ago and the proceeds burned a hole in my pocket so bought an M series 85 HP Kubota with FEL and forks
With my Farmi winch it pulls all i want to within reason.
The FEL will pick enough that i sometimes have to put it in FWD to back up.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Brad_S.

I bought an L4600 (46hp) to replace a cantankerous old 801 series Ford. I now regret going with the L series and wish I had stepped up to the M series, specifically an M5100. While the L4600 is doing well, I would have liked the beefier frame, added weight and wider lift arm spread. The Kubota doesn't pull a 3 bottom plow through sod like the old Ford did because it is too light. I suspect the same issue would arise pulling logs in the woods. Been a trouble free machine though.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

brendonv

From what ive read, an M is a more basic less luxurious machine than an L?  Id prefer simple myself.

Ive also read a bit about hst vs Gst. Again, hst seemed "simpler".

Are the older fords any good?  Ive got an older customer who has an older ford, brand new condition waxed and stored inside with around 250 hrs. Id guess its 40-55 hp. Ive got to get the model number next time im there.  Ive told him numerous times ill take it when hes ready but i doubt that'll come anytime soon.

Im wondering if the dealers have any pre emmision machines left.  Also, theres no shortage of used machines on craigslist, so i guess its finding the right fit when ready.

www.VorioTree.com

47sawdust

brendon,
While I've only owned Kubotas,there are some awfully good Ford tractors out that are there equal.The 1920 and 2120 models are very user friendly nice open floor deck.Don't restrict your search to orange,blue is a great color,while some are partial to green.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

They are all just about the same. I had a kubota. Had trouble getting parts from 2 diffeant dealers. They both thought a week was no big deal.  ::) I went back to NH. If they don't have it,which most times they do,I can get it in 3 days. The salesmen lives here in town so he drops if off at my door step.
Depends on what you are doing with it. I have 2 tractors,one 30hp and one 40hp. The 40hp does the heavy work around here. I could use a small,30hp for the woods. I have taken the wife's into the woods a FEW times. Very easy to get around. That one does not have a loader either.The 40 can be kinda hard to just drive through the woods. I have to make roads for it. But I can do way more heavy work with my 40.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brendonv

Im starting to think 32-38 hp is plenty. 

I was leaning kubota because i already have one.  To me, getting all your filters and parts from one place is simple instead of running around.

www.VorioTree.com

tree-farmer

I have a L3400 with bucket and Woods backhoe. Could use a few more horsepower sometimes but all round great tractor for my needs. Used it 6 years now and still cannot figure how I got by without it.
Would buy another one today.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

John Mc

I have a New Holland TC 33D, 33HP diesel. It only weighs about 2500# bare. By the time I add the loader, logging winch, loaded rear tires, belly pan, limb-risers/FOPS, I'm probably up over 4000#. It's a good match for the Uniforest 35E logging winch I have on it (7700# of pull, similar specs to a Farmi 351).  I'd never make a living logging with it, but it suits my needs. I do occasionally wish for bigger and heavier tractor (it sure would be nice to be able to lift 2000# with my loader, rather than about 1100#, and sometimes I wish I had a little more weight on the ground when I'm trying to move a bigger tree), but I also appreciate that I can get into places with this one that I couldn't with a larger tractor.

The 33 HP does fine for the most part, but I wouldn't go any lower. Weight is just as important as frame size - you want the tractor pulling your tree around, not the other way around.  At the time I was buying, Kubotas of a similar size and HP were significantly lighter than the New Holland models. The weight didn't really drive my decision between brands, because the Kubotas were every bit as tough, and you can always add weight. I chose because of the dealer reputation. The New Holland Dealer in my area is GREAT, and only about 12 miles from my home. The only Kubota dealer at the time was over an hour away, and I just didn;t get a good vibe from them. The NH dealer eventually bought them out, [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] down that dealership, and moved the Kubotas up to the same lot with the NH tractors. If I were buying today, who knows which brand I would have ended up with - but I'd go back to that dealer in a heartbeat.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

I like his these threads go.

Question: What kind of Kubota should I buy?
Answer: A New Holland.

:D

John Mc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 15, 2015, 09:59:28 AM
I like his these threads go.

Question: What kind of Kubota should I buy?
Answer: A New Holland.

Yeah, I figured it might be taken that way. Really, I was just trying to give some feedback on size/weight/HP - and the idea that dealer support can make a big difference. I'm not up on the current Kubota model designations... haven't looked in any detail at tractors since back in 2001 or 2002 (at which point I explored NH and Kubota in great detail, along with a host of others). So I can't be much help there.

I will say that I have only once run into someone who wished they had bought a smaller tractor, and that was a guy who had a big project to start with, but then not much that was demanding after that. Had I gone for the next size up, I'd no doubt be thinking that it "suits my needs" as well. But I probably also would have developed some different work methods over the years to match the equipment capabilities.

Most tractor owners I've run into fall into two categories:

• The tractor I have is the best. You need to get the same thing. (Never mind that I'm mowing the lawn and hauling the occasional bucket load of compost for the garden with mine, and you want to pull multiple 24" x 16' oak logs with yours)
  • Get BIG!! You can never have too much (or enough?) tractor. You need a minimum of 65 HP, an enclosed cab and a forwarding trailer with a knuckleboom grapple to bring in your 3.5 cords of firewood each year... and while you are at it, don't forget the firewood processor.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

I wasn't commenting on you specifically, but on the general concept of thread derailment. :)

John Mc

I understood your comment and was not at all offended by it (I did hesitate to mention my brand). I get a chuckle out of that phenomenon as well:

Q: I want to by a Stihl saw, because the dealer is fantastic, 2 miles from me, and will drop off and pick up my saw on his way home if there is ever a problem. Which model should I get?

A: Husky is the only way to go!

Dave Shepard

gww

Everybody seems to agree to get bigger.  I would like a bit bigger then the L3300 kabota that I use.  16 inch logs are good but a 18 to 2o inch one brings the back wheels off the ground.  It does drag ok on dry ground though.  The one thing I like about the smaller tractor is the ease my turck will pull it on a 16 foot trailer with out trailer brakes.  I don't have a bigger tractor to compare it with but do believe it was mentioned earlier that how you haul it could be important.  My dad had a backhoe that will lift lots more but can't be moved on the road without hireing some one.

You may think you will never need to move it from location but that has not been my experience. If a 40 or 50 horse tractor could be moved with my type of equiptment, I believe I would like it better.  I know the L3300 can be moved easily cause I do it all the time.
Good luck
gww

John Mc

Good point, GWW. I don't have a trailer or tow vehicle that will move even my little tractor, so if I can't drive it there on the road, or bug a friend to haul it for me, it isn't going. Fortunately for me, most of my work is done at home, or within a 35 minute tractor drive away. I do wish I lived a bit closer to the dealer, though.

thecfarm

Models numbers get me confused no matter what kind of tractor they are.   ::) I use to haul a 40 hp tractor behind my ¾ ton truck. I never hauled it more than 40 miles and that was only twice,but it did it fine.  Trailer had brakes or it would of been a whole diffeant story behind me. Dealer support is what I look for
I like the way some people try to tell me what I should buy too.  ::) need another one of those to get my point across.  ::)  These are the ones that mow the land with it,might scrap up a little loose sand at the end of thier hot top driveway. They MIGHT put 100 hours a year on it. Than they have the nerve to tell me,I never have trouble with mine brand. Next I say,With 800 hours on it,I hope you don't have any trouble either.
Maybe we should get going on what type of tires to use.   :D What to load the tires with too.  :D

Dixon700

I had an l2500 28hp tractor it wasn't enough tractor for the abuse I put it through. It did way more than what it was designed for and took a heck of a beating before I broke it in half... I had wished my tractor was at least a 48hp tractor thay weighed a few thousand lbs more. It's replacement was my '94 case 580sk which was way on the other end of the spectrum. It has some serious weight over 17k lbs. Fel will also lift 5500lbs to full dump height of 14'. Mahindra seems to make a fine tractor also. My grandpa had bought a Mahindra max 23 and it's quite a bit smaller than the l2500 was, but it seems like it's amount of work output was quite similar. I almost bought a 50hp Mahindra with fel and 11'backhoe, but I had found the case. Anymore I do a lot more digging than skidding trees plus the tlb seems to skid ok when needed.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Left Coast Chris

We purchased a new MX5200 recently and really love it.   It weighs around 4500 lbs and is 4wd.   It is 52 HP and out pulls my MF135 2WD by a wide margin.    It out weighs the comparable L series  and has more hydraulic capacity.    The stearing radius in 9' which is great to get around in tight places.   We also got the hydrostatic trany and like it a lot.   Saves the knee when doing a lot of forward/reverse.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

brendonv

I found an L3800 with less than 100 hrs. 2013. Comes with rear mower, leaf blower, front end loader, and snow plow. Hst trans. 19,900. Sounds like a really good deal?

www.VorioTree.com

NH-Murph

That does sound like a fine deal.  Sounds like you would be paying about the right money for the tractor/loader and getting the implements for free.  My only qualm would be the HST, but that's a personal preference thing.  I bet if you don't jump on that deal, someone else will before too long. 

FYI, I was recently tractor shopping myself, and looked at several L3800 Kubotas.  I do recall that most did not have rear hydraulic remotes.  Not everyone needs them, and they are easy enough to add, but just one more thing to keep in mind.

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't be without HST on a compact tractor, especially one with a loader. Once you use HST, trying to do loader work without it is like trying to run with no legs.

Dave Shepard

That sounds like a really good deal. A friend bought a new 3710 in 2000 for the same money without the implements. Looks like just about the same spec tractor.

Magicman

Since I am not up with the model numbers, is that L3800 a 4WD?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

John Mc

Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2015, 08:08:32 AM

The model was available in 2WD gear, 4WD gear, and 4WD hydro. Since it's an HST, it must be 4WD (unless tractordata.com got the options wrong).

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Brendonv - it does sound like a good deal, if it hasn't been beaten to death on those 100 hours. I'd jump on it, if that's the size you have decided works for you.

It's a similar size and weight to my New Holland TC33D, but you've got a few more HP than I do. I use mine in the woods all the time. I filled my rear tires for a bit more weight and traction. Chains for the rear wheels may come in handy as well, depending on what tires you have, and the conditions in which you operate (I've got R4 tires, and chains are pretty much a requirement on ice or snow. I got ladder-style with v-bars, since I couldn't find duo-grip or other forestry style mat chains.)

I've had it for more than 10 years. Just recently added a belly pan to protect the undercarriage (the HST hydraulic filter up inside the right rear wheel has gotten knocked off twice, though neither was in the woods). That's something you may want to consider adding to yours. Mine was done by a local fab shop who has experience in that area - you really want someone who puts thought into making access easy for greasing and other maintenance. I also added limb risers and FOPS while it was in the shop. Now that I have the limb risers, I don't know how I got along without them.

beenthere

Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2015, 08:08:32 AM

MM
4WD is an option. Here is a link... (sorry John Mc, missed your post of the same link)

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/7/8/6784-kubota-l3800.html
south central Wisconsin

John Mc

But he mentioned hydro transmission, which only came with 4WD

Ox

In my years of farming and general messing around with equipment the biggest factor I've found (in general) is weight.  Lots of weight and good traction are the two biggest things you need to get work done.  A heavy tractor with low power is hard to break.  But be careful adding weight to a light machine, it'll make it so you can break it.  Think army trucks.  Simple, heavy, overbuilt and underpowered.  Tough as nails because of this.  This is why I bought a Zetor tractor.  Heaviest machine in its class.  Simple, rugged, pulls things it should have no business even looking at.  Over 4,000 lift on the 3 pt. hitch.  Cheap to buy, cheap to fix and maintain.  Parts available in USA from mail order, one dealer an hour away.  I realize this has no info toward Kubota but perhaps it may help with your thinking in a way?

Hi gww.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

Andries

Learning a lot from this thread - diversions, wanders and all.
Quote from: John Mc on August 30, 2015, 09:11:04 AM
I also added limb risers and FOPS while it was in the shop. Now that I have the limb risers, I don't know how I got along without them.
I bought a Ford 545C this spring, as I wasn't finding Kubotas in my price range.
Wondered what "limb risers" are?
Something like a step to get up and on the tractor?   :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

beenthere

Andries
QuoteWondered what "limb risers" are?

They are the bars that angle up from the front end to the ROPS that sweep limbs and brush up out of your face when driving through the woods.

brendonv
Nice looking rig. Do you have it home yet?
south central Wisconsin

brendonv

Haha. He won't let me look at it until
Thursday it sounds like.

www.VorioTree.com

Andries

Quote from: beenthere on August 30, 2015, 12:40:30 PM
Andries
QuoteWondered what "limb risers" are?
They are the bars that angle up from the front end to the ROPS that sweep limbs and brush up out of your face when driving through the woods.
Ahh, like the full sized skidders have - makes sense, got it, and thank you.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

John Mc

Quote from: Andries on August 30, 2015, 12:35:21 PM
Learning a lot from this thread - diversions, wanders and all...
Wondered what "limb risers" are?
Something like a step to get up and on the tractor?   :D

Here's a pic of the limb risers I had added to my tractor recently. Sooo much more comfortable working in the woods now. The guy who fabricated them often adds protection in the front (a "windsheild" of sorts), engine side protection, and a screen on the back of the ROPS, but my logging winch screen covers the back, and I passed on the others for now. You can't see it in the picture, but there is an expanded metal mesh top on this to keep widow makers from dropping on my head. He normally puts solid metal up there, but I asked for the mesh. I figured I would want the visibility. (In retrospect, I'd give up the visibility to keep those DanG cedar "crumbs" from dropping down my shirt when I scrape under a branch. I'll probably change all or most of the top to something solid in the future.)

Andries

Brendonv:
The Kubota tractor in the photo is a beaut. With all the attachments you mentioned, it looks and sounds like a good deal.
My son is an arborist as well, and we've found that ground clearance, weight and power are the critical details when matching the machine to the work. He uses a Gehl AL20DX for urban tree work. Turf tires, log grapple on the front and a great Kubota three banger diesel. He can get logs through fence gates and not leave tire ruts on lawns. However, around the log yard and near the mill, the Ford 545C has carrying capacity and reach that the Gehl can't match.
You mentioned a log winch as one of your needs at the start of the thread. If you fitted the Kubota with R4 or Ag tires, would you be able to do the log pulling that you described?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

brendonv

I have little use for it on my residential properties we work on. My ditch witch sk755 does the grunt work there. I'm planning on the tractor for a life long investment on my own properties, fitting with a logging winch and possibly being able to do small clearings if nessessary. I want to get into a pre emmission tractor mostly, and finding one with such low hours would be like having it from
New. Having the winch would come in handy on my jobs tho, as we could use it on a job we're on now where the customer is eventually going to want the logs hauled off the hill side.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

One more. 96.4 hrs. This might get me in trouble with the misses.

www.VorioTree.com

Banjo picker

Looks like you already made your mind up, but here is my rig.  Its a M7040 I use it to load logs on the mill, drag logs, or hook to my homemade winch.

I could even disk up a garden spot if I wanted to.   ;)   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thechknhwk

Brendonv, Looks familiar ;D  Works awesome, but wish I had bought an M series for the loader.

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

thechknhwk

The M series loader will lift a little over 2k lbs, and this one lifts about 1200lbs.  Seems a little wimpy at times.  You won't be picking up any 20" twelve foot logs.

brendonv

More to the confusion. Why do manufactures gotta use so many numbers and letters.

Yours is a l3800?  Can you give me a ring to briefly discuss? 

My number is in the signature links.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

So the deal with the 3800 fell thru. The current owners reasons for selling was relocation south. Something fell thru with his deal so he stll needs the tractor currently. I guess hes still looking so hell keep my number as it might go up again.

I found a 50 hr l4600 but i think thats a bit large for my taste and i think its a Thailand model.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

Sooooo ive got a 2012 kubota l3800 hst with 30 hours en route.  Different then the one i posted, this one has industrial tires thankfully.

Im new to tractors.  Ill be looking for a 3pt winch. Do these come with pto shafts, or something a tractor owner usually has? 

Im also looking for suggestions on tire chains, do i need front chain also?  Mostly for winter but if i do smaller clearings i might throw them on. 

My plans include forest hardening it in house over the winter. And probably adding a snow blower and front remote hydraulics eventually.  Gotta hide it until i get my girlfriend a ring, she wont be too happy otherwise.  :)

www.VorioTree.com

beenthere

The 3 pt winch will come with the PTO shaft.

QuoteMy plans include forest hardening it in house over the winter.
I didn't follow this... maybe a typo?

Chains will be good, and especially with the R-4 Industrial tires.

Sounds like a real nice rig.
south central Wisconsin

brendonv

I will ad limb risers, skid plate, head protection over the winter. I will build this myself.

www.VorioTree.com

thechknhwk

John Mc

When you add the belly plate, think carefully about what you might need to access and how often. Mine curls up the side with a piece to cover the engine oil filter - this piece of the belly pan is small enough to remove easily, without having to use a jack to lower it.  Both of my belly pan pieces has holes in the to allow grease gun access to various zerks without removing the pan. I've also seen the same thing accomplished on larger tractors than mine by running tubes out from where the original zerk was mounted to a remote zerk that is easier to reach when the belly pan is on (I did not see how this made a connection to where the original zerk was, but I assume there is some sort of off-the-shelf fitting to do this).

If you haven;t seen this type of installation before, try to get around to look at a couple - you'll usually find a couple of "gee, I wouldn't have thought of that" features.  Some manufacturers have factory belly pans available a well. You might pick up some good ideas from those.

NH-Murph

All the new winches I was looking at came with a shaft.  You will probably have to cut it to length so it doesn't bind up anywhere within the range of motion of your hitch.  I know I am going to try and avoid front chains.  There is an age old debate on front chains.

Dixon700

What's the debate about on front chains?

NH-Murph

Will front ends hold up or not.  It's pretty easy to tear up a front axle with chains on the front tires.

beenthere

NH-
How can it be "easy to tear up"?
I do "chains on the fronts" on my Deere, and no problem that I've noticed.

So am curious, where are the facts?

Appreciate your input.
south central Wisconsin

NH-Murph

I know of a few tractors that didn't hold up more than a few years when they got a front set.  Perhaps it has a bit to do with the operator and terrain they are being used in, but I have both been and been told of the additional traction causing problems.  Maybe a non issue for someone who operates with caution and avoids excessive wheelspin, but I have seen problems occur. 

brendonv

Thanks For the replies and suggestions. Im als considering a snow blower if anyone has recommendations.

www.VorioTree.com

North River Energy

Bought a used 5' Kubota front mount blower a few years ago.  As I recall, the blower fan is/was quite a bit larger than most of the other brands.  Alas, they don't exactly give them away, and if you find a good used, make sure the chute rotator motor isn't seized.  Apparently meltwater can get past the seals...
At least in a truck application, front chains enhance steering, and serve as 'paddles' if you get off the packed surface. Unless Kubota warns off the practice, you should be fine if you operate with finesse/discretion. 
E.g., adopt a light throttle foot and avoid sharp turns at full load with weight in the bucket.

LRFD5

When I worked at a Kubota dealership a few years ago, yes there was a problem with the front chains. The main ones we saw issues with were the ones that, as said before, did excessive spinning and snagged a stump or something, but also more so, the ones that wanted a "smooth ride" so they only chained the front tires. That's a whole lot of load for that little axle.

John Mc

Whether chains on the front tires are a problem or not depends on the tractor. Some can take it, some can't. Some people get away with it even on those tractors not designed for it (possibly due to the type of driving and the surfaces on which they drive?)

If you are chancing it on a tractor that is not designed for it, then I would not put chains on the rears when you have them on the fronts. That puts even more stress on the drive train, especially if they are gripping in something that does not have a lot of "give". (Front wheels on 4WD tractor are typically geared with a little "lead" - that is, they  turn a few % faster than what a perfect speed match would be.)

Dixon700

Drive train parts are expensive for my 580sk. Maybe I'll avoid chains all together after reading. I also read they're not a good idea if you have a cab with windows. No one really said why. I have little experience with chaining up. I've only had a couple lawn mowers around the house that I chained up never anything larger than that.

Thank You Sponsors!