iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Grown Shiitakes

Started by deadfall, August 08, 2015, 10:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadfall

Hi there.   I'm getting a substantial flush of shiitakes off some of my logs.  I thought someone here might like to see them.

These logs were inoculated with sawdust spawn three years ago. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Ozarker

Nice!  :)  Here's a link to a farm in the Ozarks that grows shiitakes, among other things. They use white oak logs. Curly died a couple of years back, and the farm was recently damaged by a flood, but they're persevering.

http://theold78s.com/swedencreekfarm/

69bronco

Wow Deadfall, those are some dandy looking shiitake! I inoculated some oak this spring and can't wait to get some results, when did you get your first crop? Did you force them? I also did some oyster on poplar, we love mushrooms.

deadfall

Quote from: 69bronco on August 11, 2015, 07:59:56 AM
Wow Deadfall, those are some dandy looking shiitake! I inoculated some oak this spring and can't wait to get some results, when did you get your first crop? Did you force them? I also did some oyster on poplar, we love mushrooms.

We have been having very weird hot dry weather, and I took to watering my red alder logs for extended periods and they responded like I had them in the soak tank.  Some were soaked, but many of the logs just fruited from the increased watering.  I don't usually water that way because when the logs stay wet, trichoderma mold can be an issue.  But as hot as it's been, I am guessing that is why the mold wasn't a problem.  My picking has finally started to slow down, but I am sure I picked well over 50 pounds in less than a week.  It's the biggest flush I have had on my 200+ logs.  The biggest one I picked weighed a quarter pound and the margin was still incurved.    I ate it as a main course the night I picked it.

I took these 30+ pounds to a farmer friend who does a couple of farmers markets and supplies four chefs who want my excess production as well.

Happy for no reason.

yukon cornelius

What a crop! We have been collecting wild grown mushrooms such as bearded tooth and chicken of the woods but growing those are on our want to do list! can you point me to a reputable place to buy spawn?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

69bronco

Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 15, 2015, 06:16:59 AM
What a crop! We have been collecting wild grown mushrooms such as bearded tooth and chicken of the woods but growing those are on our want to do list! can you point me to a reputable place to buy spawn?

Google- Field and Forest, everything you need.

deadfall

I bought my sawdust spawn from Northwest Mycological Consultants in Corvallis, OR.  The owner, John Donoghue, wrote the book on growing shiitakes, literally. 

Happy for no reason.

grandgourmand

Wow..that's pretty amazing.  Thanks for posting.

It's also on my to-do list. 

SwampDonkey

When I lived in British Columbia, mushroom picking was like the gold rush. There was buyers set up at every road junction in the north.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!