iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not a bad Saturday

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 08, 2015, 06:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My Saturday started off at a late 6am.
Customer picking up a load of Cedar for closet stock.

Then a customer brings in 1 very nice Walnut log to be slabbed. Made me cry.  smiley_crying

Then its time to saw stickers for a customers.

The afternoon was left for sawing a 502 bf White Oak log into 2x6's. I got 32 boards out of that log 13 foot long.

The rest of the day was spent cleaning up, sawmill maintenance, fueling up everything and getting ready for Monday.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Nice job, David! 8)
Raining half the day here and still windy, so I sat around the house most of today.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bruno of NH

That's a nice Saturday's worth of work .
I like the load of cedar .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

Must be ready for another pig roast after that!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 47sawdust on August 08, 2015, 06:59:42 PM
Must be ready for another pig roast after that!

You are so right!  :)

Peter Drouin

I can't believe you left all the lumber on the mill when cutting. And why do you cut sticking so long. If you stick lumber over 4' wide it will mold up. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 08, 2015, 07:15:11 PM
And why do you cut sticking so long. If you stick lumber over 4' wide it will mold up. :)

First off, if you think I'm gonna saw 4 foot logs....you be  smiley_whacko  :D :D :D :D
Second, if you stick lumber in the South UNDER 4 foot, it will mold.  :D

Peter, read the OP......its for a customer. He makes the call. I just saws them.  ;D
10 foot is easy to saw, load,  transport and unload. Then the customer saws the perfect length he needs.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 08, 2015, 07:15:11 PM
I can't believe you left all the lumber on the mill when cutting. 

If you're referring to the White Oak boards. I do this all the time.
The mill is unloaded with the fork lift. I never touch a board. 
Old Southern secret.  ;D

Magicman

You had a very good day David.  All that I have to show for my day is lazy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2015, 07:43:22 PM
All that I have to show for my day is lazy.

You deserve it.  :)

drobertson

Man, you had things clicking pretty good today!   I just wish I could get some of my stickers back!   that walnut was a beaut!   Just have to ask, you southern boys like to sleep in?  :D  It's been pretty warm out here too, I heard you guys got some rain, so that's good till the sun comes out.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: drobertson on August 08, 2015, 08:31:09 PM
Just have to ask, you southern boys like to sleep in?  :D

I over slept. My customer woke me up at 5;45.  :)

red

You'll do Much More with your new Sawmill. .  .   .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Sixacresand

Cleaning up, mill maintenance with cash in your pocket.  Yes I would say a good day. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

DanG David,

You make me feel lazy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flatrock58

Looks like you got done in one day what takes me 2-3 days.  It sounds like a good day!
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

drobertson

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 08, 2015, 08:35:02 PM
Quote from: drobertson on August 08, 2015, 08:31:09 PM
Just have to ask, you southern boys like to sleep in?  :D

I over slept. My customer woke me up at 5;45.  :)
Had that happen before, and no kidding, worse part or best which ever way you look at it, the customer is near 80, and a work horse,  just simply love him and the whole thing, good job David,, getting a new mill?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: drobertson on August 08, 2015, 09:45:33 PM

good job David,, getting a new mill?

Don't listen to Red.  :D

He's still reading some of WDH's old threads.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WV Sawmiller

David,

How do you bill for your stickers? BF, Hourly rate or by the piece?

I tend to use my scrappy top logs for stickers. Not great production but either that or firewood.

Looks like a good day. Need more like that. Keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Percy

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 08, 2015, 06:36:44 PM
My Saturday started off at a late 6am.
Customer picking up a load of Cedar for closet stock.

Then a customer brings in 1 very nice Walnut log to be slabbed. Made me cry.  smiley_crying

Then its time to saw stickers for a customers.

The afternoon was left for sawing a 502 bf White Oak log into 2x6's. I got 32 boards out of that log 13 foot long.

The rest of the day was spent cleaning up, sawmill maintenance, fueling up everything and getting ready for Monday.
You were busier than a one legged kickboxer. But you gotter done. The main thing.
That walnut looks spectacular. We don't get that up here.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

warren46

If you're referring to the White Oak boards. I do this all the time.
The mill is unloaded with the fork lift. I never touch a board. 
Old Southern secret.  ;D
[/quote]

I don't think it is a secret.  I saw quite a bit of 16' white oak for trailer decks.  If you think I am going to man handle a 16' white oak 2x10 off the mill you should think again.  That is what the back hoe is for. 

Sounds like a profitable day but my my count you loaded a trailer, sawed two logs and some stickers.  Just sayin'.  Still a good day.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Peter Drouin

We all cut lumber the way we want Dave. I would starve your way. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 08, 2015, 11:19:55 PM
David,

How do you bill for your stickers? BF, Hourly rate or by the piece?

I sell 10 foot stickers for 75 cents each. It is very rare that I do sell stickers though.
Most stickers I saw are for customers that bring there on logs.
I saw them by the hour.

woodweasel

I wood say that was a great day! 8)

petefrom bearswamp

I sometimes sell my stickers made from edgings and 4' long for .25 each.
Good repeat customers get their lumber stickered as it comes off the mill at no charge.
Peter, when I was younger and had more ambition I often stacked 10 wide with no adverse effect on the lumber.
this was with Hemlock and a little WP and i have good air circulation at my site.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 10, 2015, 08:05:51 AM
I sometimes sell my stickers made from edgings and 4' long for .25 each.
Good repeat customers get their lumber stickered as it comes off the mill at no charge.
Peter, when I was younger and had more ambition I often stacked 10 wide with no adverse effect on the lumber.
this was with Hemlock and a little WP and i have good air circulation at my site.

At 60½ My ambition slows some too.  :D :D The 4' thing is the industry standard, and I have no luck with going wider than 4'.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

I agree 4' is the size to cut stickers (although I find I use a lot of 2' and such too) but like David said, you don't cut them out of 4' logs. I am sure most of us cut them out of 8' or 12' logs or such then cut them to shorter lengths with a chainsaw, chopsaw or circular saw.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

I have done it both ways and I'm faster cutting them at 4' first. For me cutting them at 8' tie them up and cut 4' takes forever, they jump around with a chain saw. And cutting them one at a time, I would not live long enough.  :D :D :D

When I cut grade stakes I cut 4'4" then sharppen bundle and trim.

Just got an order for 1500 5' stakes today.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'd starve if I cut them like that.  ;D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 10, 2015, 06:28:55 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup Got me. :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 10, 2015, 06:30:31 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 10, 2015, 06:28:55 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup Got me. :D :D :D :D ;)

I've lost 85 pounds following the Peter Drouin 4 foot sticker plan. I feel GREAT!!!  :D :D :D

Delawhere Jack

Seems to me you're 86 bf short. But maybe some old goat ate it..... :D You shouldn't let those things near the mill.

Walnut like that always makes me happy, even when I'm only getting paid to mill it. :)

Peter Drouin

Will someone get the goat some grits before it's too late.
No, wait, skip that lets help him the other way.
fudd-smiley  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 10, 2015, 06:40:18 PM

Seems to me you're 86 bf short. But maybe some old goat ate it..... :D You shouldn't let those things near the mill.

I got 38 bf of 1x lumber he did not want and the rest was waste because of sweep.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 10, 2015, 06:45:31 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 10, 2015, 06:40:18 PM

I got 38 bf of 1x lumber he did not want and the rest was waste because of sweep.

BONUS WOOD!!! Too bad it wasn't from that walnut.

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 10, 2015, 06:32:26 PM
I've lost 85 pounds following the Peter Drouin 4 foot sticker plan. I feel GREAT!!!  :D :D :D

:D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Someone on here is  smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 10, 2015, 08:57:52 PM

But I feel GREAT!  :D :D :D :D :D

Magicman

Even Doctors get second opinions.   :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 10, 2015, 09:03:02 PM
Quote from: Magicman on August 10, 2015, 08:57:52 PM

But I feel GREAT!  :D :D :D :D :D

Now you know how to cut stickers. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

You're a better man than me if you can saw that short faster than long wood. I agree the stickers want to jump around a lot when chainssawing them. If I were doing a lot I would ratchet strap them first then cut them to length. I have trouble lifting, turning and clamping that short logs and cutting them square. Looks like you have some slanting on the boards in your picture which turn out angled/out of square when I do that. Not as critical on stickers as would be with boards but is still a nuisance

I do cut some short stock into stickers but it is generally small logs out of the tops of the trees I am salvaging. If my neighbor could still sell wedge blocks to the coal mines I'd be cross-cutting everything from about 6" (minimum he could use) to around 10", and certainly all knotty tops, into 12" blocks and selling to him. Unfortunately recent political climate has cut out that industry around here and wedge blocks no longer sell.
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 10, 2015, 09:46:18 PM
Peter,

You're a better man than me if you can saw that short faster than long wood. I agree the stickers want to jump around a lot when chainssawing them. If I were doing a lot I would ratchet strap them first then cut them to length. I have trouble lifting, turning and clamping that short logs and cutting them square. Looks like you have some slanting on the boards in your picture which turn out angled/out of square when I do that. Not as critical on stickers as would be with boards but is still a nuisance

I do cut some short stock into stickers but it is generally small logs out of the tops of the trees I am salvaging. If my neighbor could still sell wedge blocks to the coal mines I'd be cross-cutting everything from about 6" (minimum he could use) to around 10", and certainly all knotty tops, into 12" blocks and selling to him. Unfortunately recent political climate has cut out that industry around here and wedge blocks no longer sell.

The pic I put up is some stickers I cut for me to use on my lumber. [Stuff on the mill] I do make square ones. :D :D
I will get some pics of the 5' ones I have to make for a customer [hard wood]
When I cut them short, I can make 3 or 4 cuts and take them off by the hand full and bounce them off the floor to get rid of the sawdust on them. Can't do that with 8' ones
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 10, 2015, 10:15:30 PM

..........and bounce them off the floor to get rid of the sawdust on them.

Rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis)?  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 10, 2015, 10:24:27 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 10, 2015, 10:15:30 PM

..........and bounce them off the floor to get rid of the sawdust on them.

Rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis)?  :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm going to have to look for one. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

petefrom bearswamp

For stickers I stack my usable edgings on 3 sawhorses spaced so that I can narrow my forks to about 3' and get under one portion of the  the pile.
Place the forks under the first section with a very small amount of up pressure and saw. Sure a couple jump off the stack, but most are right there on the forks for transportation to my sticker stacks.
The remaining 4' sections are supported by the second and third horse.
I only use my 8' and 10' edgings for this method.
My helper flips the edgings on the mill to get rid of the sawdust before  he stacks them on the horses.
I'll try to remember to post pics next time i make stickers.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!