iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Project NZ "Batten mill"

Started by Thewoodman, August 08, 2015, 05:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewoodman

Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

longtime lurker

There's got to be about a million of those old things out there, they were pretty common back in the day. Bit of line and a couple of trollies and you'll be working in no time: dammed things were near indestructible.
For a bit I thought you might have lucked on one of the old Varteg sliding table jobs... if you ever run across one of them let me know, I could find a home for one of those real quick.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

bushmechanic

Well that looks like something you would find around here. I was looking at your other pic's and I saw your cut-off saw as we call them here for firewood. I have one made also very similar to yours, can't beat it for smaller wood.

deadfall

I found this old wide belt buzz saw that had been converted to three point PTO for $100 at the Oregon Iron Trader's website in the late '90s.  Not a bad use for a C-note.  It's just about time to break it out again.

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

beenthere

df
Can you jack-knife the trailer around enough so the cut-off pieces land/drop in the trailer?

Maybe with a short table extension on the cut-off side would let the pieces slide into the trailer?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

deadfall

Quote from: beenthere on August 09, 2015, 12:49:29 PM
df
Can you jack-knife the trailer around enough so the cut-off pieces land/drop in the trailer?

Maybe with a short table extension on the cut-off side would let the pieces slide into the trailer?

You can't see it well in that pic, but there is a removable board at the front right of the trailer box that does that job.  But, you did indeed catch me up to my old tricks there.  That's exactly what I do.  I put a trailer hitch on my wood chipper too, and enough 4 inch pipe to blow the chips into that same cart.

Happy for no reason.

Kbeitz

I'm just now building one.
I'm putting two blades on my unit.
One rip. One cross cut.
I got a ways to go before it's finished.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

My God, y'all some crazy people running those open blades with no guards. Just something about them just scares the heck out of me. My grandpaw was killed by one. Blade tip flew off and hit him in the head.

Y'all be extra careful.

beenthere

deadfall.
QuoteI put a trailer hitch on my wood chipper too, and enough 4 inch pipe to blow the chips into that same cart.

If you can, I'd sure like to see a pic of that. Just added a PTO chipper and have been toying with some ideas to collect the chips while chipping.. but so far this chipper is very handy to buzz around cleaning up pruned limbs off trees instead of having to go around and gathering them up later. But the loading chute is directly behind, and not off to one side like some are located.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bushmechanic

Kbeitz what's the idea behind the two saws? I mean why the rip saw? Fishfighter those blades are of the solid type not the insert tooth saws locks won't come out of those. I hear you about the guards but they tend to get in the way and yes we should be using them!

deadfall

Quote from: beenthere on August 09, 2015, 04:59:54 PM
deadfall.
QuoteI put a trailer hitch on my wood chipper too, and enough 4 inch pipe to blow the chips into that same cart.

If you can, I'd sure like to see a pic of that. Just added a PTO chipper and have been toying with some ideas to collect the chips while chipping.. but so far this chipper is very handy to buzz around cleaning up pruned limbs off trees instead of having to go around and gathering them up later. But the loading chute is directly behind, and not off to one side like some are located.

I can't endorse this kind of chipper after buying this one (many disliked issues with it), but it is what I have.  I opted to build my own blower as every one of the Crary Bearcat (someone else's name is on these now) ones I had seen in the field had lots of cracks.  I built my blower like a tank. 

These pics are from May when I was making some debarked vine maple smoker chips for a friend in Alaska.  So, I wasn't blowing them into the cart, but a gunny sack instead.  I steered the blower tube away from the cart. 

With that long reach on the chipper hitch, and the hydraulic top link on the 3 point, I can put the cart on those hand truck tires at the back, pull the rear panel, and make dumping the chips pretty easy. 

I've got other pics but they're buried in the stacks of files from old computers.  I hope I run across some of them for you.

Happy for no reason.

Kbeitz

Quote from: bushmechanic on August 09, 2015, 05:37:58 PM
Kbeitz what's the idea behind the two saws? I mean why the rip saw? Fishfighter those blades are of the solid type not the insert tooth saws locks won't come out of those. I hear you about the guards but they tend to get in the way and yes we should be using them!
Power feed will be added to the ripper and I will use it for edging.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Good idea on those small tires on the back. I just might have to copy that idea.  smiley_thumbsup
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!