iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Fat Countertop

Started by mesquite buckeye, August 06, 2015, 10:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

The guy next door is a house flipper and I had mentioned that I cut mesquite, which is in demand in the SW for high end homes and furniture. Anyway, he asked me If I could get him some 8/4 to make a countertop about 7 1/2' X 38" for an island in the kitchen of the house they are currently working on.

He liked the eucalyptus floor and we used the random width idea in the countertop. We jointed the boards up and ripped them to equal widths, then biscuit joined them.

I helped him with the wood matching and here he is teaching me his artist trick of extending cracks and holes by carving with a dremel to extend them into the next piece so the whole piece has a better flow.

Cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Glippity glopping the holes and cracks.

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

lowpolyjoe

Cool.  Looking forward to more pics  :)

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice, and do you use 2 part epoxy for your glippity glop?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

Using the Dremel to extend the cracks is really a neat trick.  I never thought of doing something like that, but it should add a lot to the finished product.  I might just add some cracks to my next project.  Can't wait to see it finished out.

I'm curious about the glippity glop also.  I tried something similar but new to me the other day on knots.  Acrylic gesso tinted with carbon black.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

yukon cornelius

I like that idea! That is going to be really nice!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

mesquite buckeye

Thanks guys. ;D

Yes, the glippity glop is 2 part epoxy. 2 parts resin : 1 part hardener + a little black colorant. They sell lots of colors, all of it not cheap but pretty good stuff.

I'll keep you posted as it goes along. Wade said he had it filled to bumps yesterday. It may be close to finished. I'll have to go over and check. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Gooped and rough sanded. ;D

Man, this work is easy when somebody else does it. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

This gives me ideas for doors. Anybody know about a tenon cutter that works kind of like a biscuit joiner?
And what such a thing would cost?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 10, 2015, 01:53:11 AM
Gooped and rough sanded. ;D

Man, this work is easy when somebody else does it. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

This gives me ideas for doors. Anybody know about a tenon cutter that works kind of like a biscuit joiner?
And what such a thing would cost?
Are you referring to something like the festool domino? If so,  bout $900 to $1600 depending on size

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

That is gonna be eye popping.  Extending those crack lines is a nice touch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Good lookin', I don't recall if you have mentioned what ''goop" you use or not, my memory sometimes plays tricks on me...  :-\  May I ask what it is  ???  :P :P

Merçi
Marcel.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

No problemo. Two part epoxy with black colorant mixed in. ;D

mesquite buckeye

Gooped is a term meaning glippity glop has been applied. ;D ;D ;D :snowball:

mesquite buckeye

Finish sanded.

Also inlet for posts. ;D

With a couple of coats of beeswax/mineral oil.

hackberry jake

Stunning! The crack enlargement really blends it all together!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain how to apply the bees wax and mineral oil finish?

isawlogs

Its a hand rub finish that is applied with a peice of cotton, I use an old t-shirt. It comes pre mixed in a small container that one can get at most good hardware stores. Lee Valley carries some, I use a local made Bizwax.   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

Right. Also if you want to have the wood darker, mesquite darkens pretty quickly if you leave it out in the sun for a few hours. Desert ironwood does the same thing.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. This one was really easy (for me).

Good news is he is talking about doing mesquite countertops in more houses they are working on.

Maybe a door eventually.....

Cha ching. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

mesquite buckeye

Another tip from the school of hard knocks. To keep the wide pieces from twisting it takes 2 biscuits on each end. Don't ask me how I know this. ::)

Magicman

Steady as she goes.  You are really looking good.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

So, here it is, all done except for the oohing and ahhing when prospective homeowners arrive. ;D

Three coats of beeswax/mineral oil. Just needs to be attached. Got about 1/2" of twist corner to corner. Will easily attach flat. Wish I had one of SuperRob's flat work tables. :( :snowball: :snowball:

There's Wade with his masterpiece. ;D
The turquoise colored base is made from the old, weathered fence that used to surround the property. He showed me how he does it but I don't feel right divulging his trade secret. I will say it looks even nicer up close.

And a little closer look.

Now I gotta look up the festool domino..........

WDH

How are you going to pull out the twist?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

It has a lot of flex in it. We were able to bend it to fit with maybe 20-30 pounds of force. Just draw it down with screws from below. It may not even be twisted. the cabinets could have that much error from the floor. :-\

lowpolyjoe

Seaman

Now that is something right there !
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

mesquite buckeye

I think he has like $820, $420 for the lumber and like another 400 in processing and supplies in it plus his time. The epoxy was over $50 by itself.

Thanks. I think it turned out pretty nice.

scsmith42

Gorgeous!  I love the look of mesquite!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mesquite buckeye

Your stuff is very cool as well. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

VT_Forestry

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

mesquite buckeye

isawlogs

Don't be shy ... ask him for permission to share.  ;D  I'm just kidding, we all have some trade secrets that are nice to have. I, though share mine !!!! :D

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

smiley_contract_point smiley_contract smiley_contract smiley_contract

49er

I am glad I read this post. I learned something useful, that trick about extending cracks and stuff.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

The house is now finished and all staged up for sale.

;D

WDH

That bar top makes a great centerpiece. 

Magicman

Somebody is gonna be very proud.   :)

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Wade's latest countertop creation. This one is like 3' X 10'. 

The bottom is old pecky cypress from the fence in the back yard. He also used some of it for some rolling barn doors for a pantry closet. Wade is very artistic.

The black area at the far end was a bit punky. I thought Wade could probably fix it by soaking in some epoxy. Worked fine, soaked right up and is now really solid and interesting. Now maybe we can sell more of our punky mesquite previously thought to be worthless. ;D ;D ;D

By the way, the house next door sold within a couple of weeks for real close to the asking price. Our new neighbor has since told me when he saw that mesquite counter that he had to have the house. ;D

I'm thinking this could be a regular thing. Wade is also thinking he might be able to use some of my cedar as rustic posts for his post and beam work that he does on lots of these houses. :)

Kbeitz

Might help someone... When filling large cracks I first fill in the bottom of a crack with plastic wood.
Or I mix saw dust and glue. After it dries I mix up paint to match the color of the wood the best I can.
I found it best to stay on the dark side. Paint inside the crack. After the paint drys I fill with the two part epoxy
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Muskeet,

That is a very nice countertop. 

mesquite buckeye

Needed one more coat of beeswax/mineral oil still when the photo was taken. Darlene likes the live edge less than the finished edge...  Not sure if I like this one as much as the last one myself, but love the warmth you get from mesquite wood. Also cooks a nice steak. ;D

One more thing if I didn't mention it. Food prepared on a mesquite cutting board picks up a little of the flavor that way as well, that being a good thing. The effect decreases with age.

rasman57

That's nice !    Looks good even surrounded by a house full of wanted fugitives who apparently do not want to be identified...🙈

mesquite buckeye

They are not all that wanted. :-\

Git er done.

drobertson

Big fat congrats!  pretty stuff
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

Kbeitz,

Why the plastic wood or glue saw dust combo on the bottom versus using 2 part epoxy all the way through?

mesquite buckeye

I'm thinking to save some $. With brittle woods like mesquite it is better to tape up the bottom of the cracks with frog tape and fill them completely with epoxy for the added strength. If the wood is otherwise really strong I think you could get away with doing that.

mesquite buckeye

Latest countertop. This house is almost done.
Wade is getting better at this...

mesquite buckeye

I would add that the last one never got left out in the sun. It will darken on its own eventually.

mesquite buckeye

Another house, another mesquite countertop. I think this one is like 9 1/2 feet long. I think this one has the prettiest wood in it of any of them.

WDH

mesquite buckeye

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I looked at this and had to come back later and look at it again....now I'm looking at it AGAIN.  :)
I love it!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

I'd like to be honored with the brag on, but I guess I will have to pass it on to Wade.  ;D

He did the matching.

Thanks goat. ;D ;D ;D 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

isawlogs

Don't be too hard on da goat, it only took um three times to realize he had his sunglasses on, once he took um off he could see how realy amazing top really looks.  :)

Marcel

plowboyswr

purdy purdy did I mention Purdy  ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

mesquite buckeye

Thanks. ;D I will tell Wade this is the best one yet by acclamation. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Thank You Sponsors!