iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old fashioned felling

Started by mad murdock, August 05, 2015, 01:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Since we are in fire season, my older son and I decided to take to some thinning tonite using a 30" bowsaw a 4 1/2' bucking crosscut and a couple double bit axes. It was quite satisfying taking some trees out the old fashioned way. We took down 4 trees in about 45 min. The largest was an Alder that was about 18" dbh and about 60+ ft tall. Came down nicely.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Tim

Now THAT is something your boy is going to remember!
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

CCC4

That is really neat! I'm glad you included your Son, seemingly little things make the best memories sometimes. I have always wanted to fall a tree with a crosscut saw. I'm in Southern Illinois cutting some really nice Tulip Poplar, putting a crosscut in poplar may be almost like cheating it cuts so soft.

Thanks for sharing. Get a pic or two if you get to do it again.

mad murdock

Was out at 6 this morning to clean up and bring in the wood we downed the other nite. Gonna make some nice 4/4 alder boards for projects, and maybe some firewood and charcoal too 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

g_man

Quote from: Tim on August 05, 2015, 06:27:27 AM
Now THAT is something your boy is going to remember!

That is exactly right. I have vivid memories of working with my father and grandfather with a cross cut saw cutting pine on a lot in Maine my father owned.

buzywoodliff

Yup, creating great memories right there. :)

Puffergas

Dang.. I'm eating my heart out over here.. 😁  got my crosscut a few months ago and need to get the tooling. Been reading and watching videos on sharpening but the weather is dry so I have to work on other stuff. I'm amazed how much there is to learn about an axe..!
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Thank You Sponsors!