iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

28'x50' Barn, broke ground this weekend

Started by jimdad07, August 04, 2015, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 04, 2017, 10:43:43 AM
ljohnsaw:
That should work as long as the opposite adjacent face is 90° to the reference face. And just to note that the reference face on a tie beam or any horizontal timber is the top, towards the roof.

jimdad07:
Thanks for your kind words.
The only thing I'd like to caution others about is that I usually cut the two halves of the scarf and test fit them together before I cut any other joinery in either timber. If you have to trim one side of the scarf to get it to fit and you've already cut other joinery in the timber, it may shift things off their mark. Once they are together, at the end of your test fit up, you can then consider it one long timber and layout all your other joints.
There are many different types of scarf joints and I have done an ebook on the bladed scarf joint, as well as "how to" videos on layout and cutting of this joint. I hope to market them more some day.

Jim Rogers

There is a real thirst out there for this knowledge, you would do well to publish what you know on the subject.  I have become obsessed with timber framing since even before I started this project and I would like to work towards doing it as a sideline and eventually make it full time.  I'd like to maybe get a set of small house plans stamped by a timber frame engineer and try to cut one or two kits to see how it goes.  Once this building is up weather will no longer be an issue for production.  Big dreams.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

50 Acre Jim

May be old hat for some but I find this simply outstanding !

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

jimdad07

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on June 04, 2017, 11:05:17 AM
May be old hat for some but I find this simply outstanding !

He sure does really good work! He has a passion for it too and that makes all the difference.

Jim_Rogers

That picture was taken 15 years ago, and it was at a Timber Framers Guild project. We took a barn down in one town. Moved it to another town, repaired or replaced all missing timbers, and put it back together again.
I donated a week of my time cutting joints under the direction of the head man just to learn how to do things like that.
And that joint can be cut into a post in a standing barn:

You just have to understand the step by step procedure to do it.

When anyone ever asks me: "how'd you learn all that stuff?" I always reply "by joining the Timber Framers Guild."

If you're not a member and you want to learn more I suggest you join.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jimdad07

How does it work to join the guild as a hobbiest looking to go into it slowly and build a small business?  The more I do and learn the more I want to do it.  I've never built anything that has felt more rewarding.

jimdad07

Just answered my own question.  Filling out the application.

jimdad07

The final on my tie beam scarfs.  This my last tie beam to cut.  I will have scarf joints in my top plates but they will be a different kind.  Hope you guys enjoy.

https://youtu.be/X5P0EC6hzvg

Dave Shepard

ljohnsaw, yes, you can use your template on both sides just as you described. Always reference the top edge. It may be tough to reference tbe top when you are laying out on the waste end of a timber. You could clamp a straightedge on the top to reference the template.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishfighter

I am really enjoining your build. Thanks for the time for the videos. If only I was 20 years younger. :(

jimdad07

Quote from: fishfighter on June 04, 2017, 06:59:38 PM
I am really enjoining your build. Thanks for the time for the videos. If only I was 20 years younger. :(

For the health issues you've had to overcome I think you're doing a fantastic job on your project.  That kind of thing keeps a man going, gives him purpose.  People were meant to create and to build, it's a natural thing for us to do.  I'm glad you're enjoying it, wish I had filmed from the beginning.

Jim_Rogers

jimdad07, I've been trying to send you a PM and it isn't going through for some reason, can you send me an email?
I have some ideas for you.

Jim Rogers

jimdad07

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 08, 2017, 12:02:41 AM
jimdad07, I've been trying to send you a PM and it isn't going through for some reason, can you send me an email?
I have some ideas for you.

Jim Rogers

Just found your messages, I do everything in my phone and messages don't show in my notifications.  I'll be there, just cleared it with the boss at home.

jimdad07

Working on the last tie beam of this project and I have some pretty heavy wane to deal with on the reference face.  Here's how I feel with it:

https://youtu.be/YNpI5N2HOKk

woodworker9

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 04, 2017, 01:31:40 PM
That picture was taken 15 years ago, and it was at a Timber Framers Guild project. We took a barn down in one town. Moved it to another town, repaired or replaced all missing timbers, and put it back together again.
I donated a week of my time cutting joints under the direction of the head man just to learn how to do things like that.
And that joint can be cut into a post in a standing barn:

You just have to understand the step by step procedure to do it.

When anyone ever asks me: "how'd you learn all that stuff?" I always reply "by joining the Timber Framers Guild."

If you're not a member and you want to learn more I suggest you join.

Jim Rogers

Jim-  Is there a thread somewhere on this forum that discusses the cutting of this scarf, as well as others?  I have lots of questions, but don't want to muck up Jim's build thread with them.

One of the questions I have is that, since I can't see how you cut that scarf joint, what keeps the beams together side to side, sliding out sideways?  Is there some sort of key in the middle of the joint not shown?

Thanks,

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

jimdad07

[/quote]

Jim-  Is there a thread somewhere on this forum that discusses the cutting of this scarf, as well as others?  I have lots of questions, but don't want to muck up Jim's build thread with them.

One of the questions I have is that, since I can't see how you cut that scarf joint, what keeps the beams together side to side, sliding out sideways?  Is there some sort of key in the middle of the joint not shown?

Thanks,

Jeff
[/quote]

You ask all of the questions you want, there is no mucking up anything.  We're all here to learn together.  A good source of information on scarfs can also be found on TF Headquarters.  He has some good illustrations and explanations there.

Jim_Rogers

jimdad07

Continuing on with the last tie beam this one covers cutting joist pockets.

https://youtu.be/7xamQFiAFeo

jimdad07

Almost finished with this tie beam.  Had to break up the videos because they would be way too long otherwise.

https://youtu.be/sSdZoj7oksY

jimdad07

THE FINAL TIE BEAM BRACE MORTICE!  I actually cut this one by hand, it almost killed me.

https://youtu.be/5zadF2gPHKY

jimdad07

Progress has been very slow but I am moving forward.  Got some more stood up and working on getting the last bent finalized to stand it.

https://youtu.be/j2HZFClHzRQ

jimdad07

Man has it been busy around here, dodging rain drops, mowing hay, baling hay, moving hay, smelling hay, dreaming about hay.....you get the picture.  Did find some more layout video I forgot I had.  This stuff was done before I met up with Jim Rogers if that tells you anything.  But here it is and I hope you guys enjoy it...BTW there is some progress being made again.

https://youtu.be/In9DiB19iPA

jimdad07

Fixed the center post I cut yesterday, went much better than I thought it was going to.

https://youtu.be/TAYX79jOkX8

Ljohnsaw

Nice video and explanation. 

Couple of questions, though.  You have the tractor, why not take that bent down to pull the screws and re-cut?  There is just a couple girts holding it in place, correct?  Also, you didn't do some sort of dowel to keep that post positioned?  I understand there will be a lot of weight on it, but just wondering.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jimdad07

Taking the bent down isn't as easy as putting it up after it's all put together.  It would probably be fine butexpandable  time consuming. 
As for the post not being anchored I did that so that I can make any adjustments to the frame I need too after the bents are all standing.  After that I'm making brackets to anchor them to the floor with expandable drop in anchors. 

jimdad07

Video on leaving the line and why.  Sure does make a difference.

https://youtu.be/fmQMgIgGxyE

Thank You Sponsors!