iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

28'x50' Barn, broke ground this weekend

Started by jimdad07, August 04, 2015, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

Thanks for the info Dave.  What I've been doing is outside of convention, I've been using the reference face for my major framing member housings.  I've also been taking extreme care in the milling process to make sure I'm getting my beams very square, makes a huge difference.
I did get the sawmill moved and set back up this week.

https://youtu.be/JtE_iORALg4
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

jimdad07

Couple more timber framing videos.  One was a request from a YouTube creator to explain some of the process, sorry about the audio on that one.  Another is one on making pegs.  If there's anything you guys think is wrong, let me know.

https://youtu.be/UPtHYR-DxDc

https://youtu.be/tSHjfNLIiT4

jimdad07

I relayed a lot of information I learned here into this one.  There's a good sized channel that picked my barn videos up and asked for more info.  Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere guys, especially Jim if you're lurking around.

https://youtu.be/01xxEMZBDDw

jimdad07

I have put this one up in the milling thread but figure some of you might keep to the timber framing section.  I was out this past weekend cutting timbers for the barn.  Waiting for logs has been the largest factor in how much time this build is taking, sometimes waiting six months for logs.  Well I came across a place willing to let me buy timbers on an as needed basis.  I even get to select the trees and cut them myself.  There's more than enough to finish this barn and the price is half what I was paying.  The land owner is even skidding them out for me and loading them for free!  Here's some of them I cut last weekend:

https://youtu.be/VWHi3jRo-mQ

jimdad07

This has to be the rainiest spring we've ever had.  I'm going nuts with beams ready to cut joinery in and no way to do it in the dry, I don't want to ruin my tools...9 out of the 10 day forcast coming up is rain...rain...rain and more rain.  I'm going to have to setup tarps and some tents I guess.

richhiway

Enjoy your posts and video. Nice logging, good deal. Get yourself a hard hat. You shouldn't be in the woods without one.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

jimdad07

Quote from: richhiway on May 07, 2017, 09:14:07 PM
Enjoy your posts and video. Nice logging, good deal. Get yourself a hard hat. You shouldn't be in the woods without one.

It was a dumb thing to do, worst part is I own one and forgot it at home 40 miles away.  Glad you're enjoying the videos, I have quite a few to do yet.

jimdad07

Little more barn work this weekend, made two videos.  I'm working on the one of the raising right now.

https://youtu.be/9wk8n7ot1jc

jimdad07

I've been promising a video of putting a bent up so here it is.  Filmed it Saturday, was a nice day.

https://youtu.be/QPFZGNg4YPU

Ljohnsaw

Nice video and description. 

I'm wondering why you don't have a "persuader" to put your frame together.  I picked up a couple old wood baseball bats I plan to attach to some off cuts of beams.  That would be easier to handle than a sledge (single handed) and a block of wood.

You sure ran out of light there!  Probably should have talked less in the shop :D  One thing to think about with your video - the background noise.  I'm sure you struggled with should I or shouldn't I but the persistent high pitched rattle from you tractor detracted a bit (IMO) from the video.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jimdad07

That's good feedback, I appreciate it.  The ball bat is a great idea, I kept breaking handles on the persuaded as well as the heads, I'll try that out.  I shot the talking last night, a couple of days after putting the bent half up.  I cut a lot of joinery Saturday and just about ran out of time!  Wasn't able to the twork on it Sunday.  The background noise is something I've been toying with, some people like to hear the tools but I have trouble getting it just right.  Need to find more depressing music!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: jimdad07 on May 23, 2017, 11:05:26 AM
That's good feedback, I appreciate it.  The ball bat is a great idea, I kept breaking handles on the persuaded as well as the heads, I'll try that out.
I suppose you could use an aluminum bat... ;)  I think Jim Rodgers had some stuff posted a while back.  Use either a log round or a cut off.  Then wrap each end with plumber's strapping - the 1/2" wide galvi strap with a series of holes and just a few screws.  Might help the heads last a little longer.
Need to find more depressing music!
:D  I didn't want to say anything!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

grouch

(Disclaimer: I've never raised a timber frame).

Is the commander out of date?

Find something to do that interests you.

jimdad07

Not out of date at all.  I like that.

woodworker9

I watched the video this morning, 5 am, with my morning coffee.  It really shows what we're up against working alone.  I, unfortunately, find myself working alone on these projects quite often, as well.  My 27 year old son is not "available" as often as I'd like him to be.....

Since the music was already mentioned.........I was looking for a razor blade for my wrists after listening to it...... :D :D :D :D

Maybe a little more upbeat next time.. :)
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

jimdad07

Woodworker9, that is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

woodworker9

Quote from: jimdad07 on May 23, 2017, 09:33:53 PM

Just messin' with you....hope you know that.  Hard to convey that with a keyboard :) :)

I'm enjoying your channel.  I've actually watched probably 80% of your video's so far.  You're a year ahead of me on the TF build.  I just got hooked up with about 50 standing white pines that I can have if I cut them down myself.  I've got to build a log arch and trailer hoist so I can load them out of the guys property.  I can't haul my skidsteer and the logs on the same trailer.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

jimdad07

Quote from: woodworker9 on May 24, 2017, 09:10:41 AM
Quote from: jimdad07 on May 23, 2017, 09:33:53 PM

Just messin' with you....hope you know that.  Hard to convey that with a keyboard :) :)

I'm enjoying your channel.  I've actually watched probably 80% of your video's so far.  You're a year ahead of me on the TF build.  I just got hooked up with about 50 standing white pines that I can have if I cut them down myself.  I've got to build a log arch and trailer hoist so I can load them out of the guys property.  I can't haul my skidsteer and the logs on the same trailer.

I know you were...I enjoy the feedback and interaction.  It's fun to start seeing the same people commenting on every video.
This forum here is about the best and most honest place I've found for a resource on timber framing.  These guys in here are just plain great.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

lochridge

jimdad07,
what router bit are you using in the video?  I am probably going to end up using the router on a bunch of housings myself later this year.  it seams as though that bit was working really well.

jimdad07

Quote from: lochridge on May 25, 2017, 12:47:06 PM
jimdad07,
what router bit are you using in the video?  I am probably going to end up using the router on a bunch of housings myself later this year.  it seams as though that bit was working really well.

I use a 1" Freud strait bit 1.25" long with a half inch shank as well as a 3/4" Freud strait bit 1.75" long with a half inch shank.  I have found that I use three cheap bits up compared to one of the Freuds.  They work very well but I will warn you that if you use a router, spend a lot of time when you mill your timbers on squaring them up.  Otherwise you will have to make a lot of jigs to make sure your housings are square to your reference face.

jimdad07

Working on the last tie beam and covered laying out a scarf joint in detail.  I want to put a bit of a disclaimer here:  This is what I do that works for me, it does not make it proper but my results have been good.  I'm putting all of these videos up to show how I'm doing this project in better detail.  A lot of what I know about this is from this forum, the TF Guild website and reading Sobon and Chapelle.  If you are new to the forum and learning like I am please do your own research before you take my word for it I would hate to have somebody get hurt because they took my advice.  That said, enjoy, it's a long one.

https://youtu.be/J-YVy9IwFZo

jimdad07

Here's the second part of the scarf joint layout.  Hope it helps some of you who are doing the same.  If there's anything I missed please let me know.  You can also find some more information if you search posts by Jim Rogers.  I might start referring to him as the FF Timber Framing Godfather.

https://youtu.be/92n3YuhoJ7E

Ljohnsaw

I was planning on making a full size template out of some Masonite or ply utilizing the factory straight edge and corner to line up with the reference face.  I have 5 scarf joints to make (both halves).  The template would be run from the reference face on both the top and bottom sections of the joint, on one it would cover the "save" part and the other it would be the "cut" part.  I'm assuming I can use this template on both the adjacent face and the opposite face (to the adjacent).  Is this something that will work or am I missing a key point?
John Sawicky

Jim_Rogers

ljohnsaw:
That should work as long as the opposite adjacent face is 90° to the reference face. And just to note that the reference face on a tie beam or any horizontal timber is the top, towards the roof.

jimdad07:
Thanks for your kind words.
The only thing I'd like to caution others about is that I usually cut the two halves of the scarf and test fit them together before I cut any other joinery in either timber. If you have to trim one side of the scarf to get it to fit and you've already cut other joinery in the timber, it may shift things off their mark. Once they are together, at the end of your test fit up, you can then consider it one long timber and layout all your other joints.
There are many different types of scarf joints and I have done an ebook on the bladed scarf joint, as well as "how to" videos on layout and cutting of this joint. I hope to market them more some day.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jimdad07

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 03, 2017, 11:08:55 PM
I was planning on making a full size template out of some Masonite or ply utilizing the factory straight edge and corner to line up with the reference face.  I have 5 scarf joints to make (both halves).  The template would be run from the reference face on both the top and bottom sections of the joint, on one it would cover the "save" part and the other it would be the "cut" part.  I'm assuming I can use this template on both the adjacent face and the opposite face (to the adjacent).  Is this something that will work or am I missing a key point?

Should work just fine, I'm pretty sure Jim Rogers does that when he has a lot to cut.  When I do my top plates that's the plan for those.  I wanted to show how to lay them out from scratch for teaching purposes.  I measured all of the scarfs for the tie beams when I probably could have saved a lot of time with a template.

Thank You Sponsors!