iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wavey cuts

Started by bandmiller2, August 04, 2015, 09:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Guys I would like your opinions. I suspect too much set leads to wavy cuts around knots. I think minimal set supports the rear of the band and limits the deviation when you hit a knot. I know the common advice is to use more set. Lately I've been using less set .015-.020 per side and  have no hint wave. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

I say if it works use it,  knots and logs come and go, and there is no way I would or could pick a band just for specific purposes.  I've heard less set works, and believe it, I've heard more set, and not to sure about this one.  for me it is the finish not necessarily the production rate.  Finish product always comes first.  Not much of a comment to your op, but just my way,  factory sets at around .025 give or take work for me,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kelLOGg

Very interesting, Frank. So the narrow kerf acts as a band stabilizer in your model. I'll be interested in comments in light of my recent thread on a related subject.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

5quarter

Frank, you're talking about cutting pine, right? It's been my experience that the opposite is true. Although if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

boscojmb

Here in southern New England, lots of knots usually means EWP and lots of pitch to go with it.
Excessive set does not directly help with knotty wood, but does help with pitch buildup on the blade.
My personal opinion is, use minimal set, skip the water based lube, and run diesel @ 1 drop per second.
You will use about 1 pint of diesel per MBF. This is a whole lot less than the amount of bar oil that you use in your chainsaw.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Peter Drouin

I push my 55/7s out to 30 and cut dry. If I need lube to get the pitch off I use just water. One or two cuts will cleen the blade.
For me If I get a wave the blade is dull. For me If the blade gets hot it's dull. And I run the blade tight.

I push the feed to bring down my 51 horse Cat in a cut.
For me, I don't care If I'm going into the top or bottom of the tree / log. I cut them as they come. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

Pete, how's you band life running so tight.?? When I ran the LT-70 would get two or three sharpenings then bam. Like you we never used any lube, never had any problems and some of the pine was just cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

I have dealt with wave issues sawing wider or dry spruce, by using 30-35 thousandths set bands rather than the more usual 26 thousandths set (my bands are 7 degree, .045, 1-1/4)  I have been thinking that more set is better for knotty softwoods.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 11, 2015, 08:05:30 AM
Pete, how's you band life running so tight.?? When I ran the LT-70 would get two or three sharpenings then bam. Like you we never used any lube, never had any problems and some of the pine was just cut. Frank C.

That's all I get, Maybe 4 sharpening. But by that time the hard part of the tooth is gone.
Like today I'm cutting Hemlock and the blades have been sharpened 3 or 4 times and they dull cutting 2 to 3 logs. I hate to toss them, but do I want to spend all my time changing out blades. 
I may try the new by metal ones when they come out with the 55. All they have now is 45s.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Is your wave this bad ? If not, no worries.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

;D ;D ;D ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You'll starve sawing lumber like that.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 11, 2015, 05:33:30 PM
You'll starve sawing lumber like that.  :D

What makes you think the customer does not want it that way. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Peter, do you find the Turbo 7 bands cut great, then when they are done, they fail fast? That's what I'm getting on the mill at work. You'd think you just ran into an insulator or something.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

I have not tried the Turbos yet. Have too many reg7. And you have to get a turbo 7 CBN wheel too. Not just the blades.

Do you like my wave. It was made with a sharp blade. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

crowhill

Peter, it's just rough sawn lumber right?!!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

WDH

Peter,

That cant is waving at me  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ox

Yikes.  I sometimes run into that as well.  Sometimes a different log from the same tree.  Nothing changed on mill or the blade but it just waves at me sometimes.  Then the third log is just fine.  Maddening.  Sometimes these trees just don't want to be boards.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chuck White

Sometimes the waves will go away if you have the means, and turn the log around, end-for-end!

If you're sawing from the bottom (of the tree) to the top, switch and saw from the top to the bottom!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Just so you all know, The wave I made while going up and down with the head in the cut.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

deadfall

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 12, 2015, 12:34:23 PM
Just so you all know, The wave I made while going up and down with the head in the cut.  ;D

You're lucky the cops weren't following you.  smiley_policeman
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Chuck White

Looked a little obvious to me also, but....... things do happen!  ::)

Once in a while when I'm making and opening cut and it wouldn't be clean all the way to the end, I will lift the sawhead up through and out of the log, return to the front and start another cut, a little deeper.

Just don't want to lift out too fast, something bad could happen.   :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Hey, a wave is a wave, no matter how you do it  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Chuck White on August 12, 2015, 01:50:26 PM

Once in a while when I'm making and opening cut and it wouldn't be clean all the way to the end, I will lift the sawhead up through and out of the log, return to the front and start another cut, a little deeper.

Just don't want to lift out too fast, something bad could happen.   :-\

I do the same thing.  smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I never thought to do that ^^ great idea!
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 12, 2015, 08:32:56 PM
Hey, a wave is a wave, no matter how you do it  :D.

smiley_wavy
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!