iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch brake band

Started by teakwood, August 03, 2015, 06:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

my brake band was full of oil, i used everything, brake cleaner, thinner, gasoline, put it into the sun, babypowder, baking soda, making grooves and last i baked it in the oven as some of you suggested. i increased braking strength a lot but still wont hold more than 60% of a hitch. So after a year i brought it to a brake shop and they put new linnings on it for 70$. its like night and day!  I attached the mainline to a big tree and    the skidder starts spinning all 4 wheels on compacted gravel!
Lesson learned
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Maine logger88

Where did you get the liner? Is it hard to do?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lumberjack48

My 30 yrs experience with Gearmatic's , i cleaned with brake cleaner, sanded a little [ never baked one ] you could stand the skidder on its rear tires, pulling.
When a person can get it fixed that cheap, it sure don't pay to monkey around with the old one. If a person can get the right band material it would be simple to glue and rivet it on. A little drilling and counter sinking the rivets it would be as good as new.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

teakwood

In latin america there are a lot of brake repair guys. car, truck, machine brakes are often repaired or replaced by such guys do to unavailability of original ones and cheapness of those works. I am not sure if you get those materials that easy as we do.
My old band was glued and baked on and the guy told me that he preferred to rivet it on, so he just grabbed a quarter inch thick lining and riveted it on. I could even choose between normal linings (like car and truck brakeshoes, dry linings) and wet ones (they would work also dripping wet of oil)

Maine logger88

That's cool! Did you try the Wet liners?

teakwood

No. i tryed the normal ones (dry) because i didnt now if they would hold the same weight and how they perform in dry conditions. so the dry ones seemed to me like more original
If you can find the linings it wouldnt be to hard to do the job yourself

Farmboy 96

ML 88 I can't think of the guys name I've got one of his business cards around somewhere but he lives In Vienna which I know is a bit of a travel for you but if you ever needed it done he has the linings and he did mine on my Gearmatic 19 for $25.00.

Maine logger88

Teakwood that's probably the best way stick with what it was designed but it does have me curious... Farmboy Wow That's cheap! Mine is still working good after 5 years and it's pulled a lot of wood! When I need one tho I will PM you thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!