iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade alignment

Started by Darrel, August 03, 2015, 05:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

I bought my mill a year ago and have only cut about 1,000 bf so far, but with retirement just around the corner that should soon change. So as my excitement grows about not having to punch a time clock and getting to use my mill a whole lot more, I have been getting the old mill ready do do some work.

I aligned the mill using the step by step instructions in the owners manual last September but had put off blade alignment.  So I decided the other day that it was high time to get the job done.  The first thing that I did was to change out the B57 belts, hoping that doing so would solve my issues, but it didn't.

There was almost 3/16 of an inch between the gullet and the wheel on the idle side.

And you couldn't see the bottom of the gullet on the drive side. 

It became obvious right away that Wood-Mizer did not intend for the drive side to be adjusted on a regular basis.  What a pain that was.  I intended to take pictures of the process but was so frustrated that I didn't bother. Well, I did take one picture:

I pulled the clutch leaver back half way with a strap so that I could turn the wheels by hand while I was getting it close. 

Tracking perfectly now and the blade stays on better too! 8) 8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

Your picture was makeing me seasick.....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

deadfall

You've done a great service, Kbeitz.  That way the logs will stay on the deck much better.  smiley_thumbsup
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

Quote from: deadfall on August 03, 2015, 08:19:48 PM
You've done a great service, Kbeitz.  That way the logs will stay on the deck much better.  smiley_thumbsup

:D :D :D :D
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

?????  I'm sure the joke is funny, but somehow I missed it.
8) 8) 8)
1992 LT40HD

4x4American

He turned your upside down picture right side up!  Now the logs won't fall off your mill!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Darrel, apparently you took the pictures and posted with your smart phone.  When you view your first picture it is right side up, but when we view it with a PC, it is upside down.  The trick is to never turn your phone to take pictures.

At least that is the way I understand it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

No you can turn your phone to take wider pictures, but when you post em just go into the crop/rotate area and rotate it usually -90 works the first time for me.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Right, but when Darrel views his post with his smart phone he does not see it rotated.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Can't be too smart of a phone then!  :D

Or maybe our computer boxes are just not as smart  ???
Boy, back in my day..

Remle

Darrel
"I pulled the clutch leaver back half way with a strap so that I could turn the wheels by hand while I was getting it close. " Instead of using a strap, cut about a 6" piece of 2X4 to prop the clutch lever back, works great to spin the drive wheel while changing blades, to line things up while adding tension to the blade before powering up with the motor.

drobertson

the fact is blade alignment can be a struggle, it takes time, how much really depends on how much Murphy's Law is in effect ;D and really we have to laugh at it just to keep from getting frustrated, but in the end a good alignment tames down Murphy's Law pretty quick.   Not Knowing your current alignment issues  just makes any advice really hard. so many folks just go with the best they can get and live with it.  Plane and simple fact. Others will get it right, and some sooner than others, and believe me, when they do, it is a halleluiah choir singing ;D  and others pay for it to be done, so, try and keep the frustration level down, and go slow, too much at once can make an ole dog chase his tail ;D  It is possible, and has been done, I am a believer and a testifier.   hang in there, the rewards are worth it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Darrel

The problem I was having was getting my hands in where they wouldn't fit while holding a wrench that wouldn't fit either. Other than that the process was pretty straight forward with no real hitches other than skinned knuckles. 

Oh, and that upside down picture thing. I knew it was upside down and I rotated it before I uploaded it. It is right side up now on all my devices, phone, tablet & computer (Mac).  I think your PC's undo all my hard work. For your sake, I'll try to hold my camera (iPhone) correctly.  :laugh:

The first thing I looked for when wanting to hold back the clutch handle was a bit of 2X4 but they were all too long and the strap was right there and quicker.
1992 LT40HD

Remle

"The first thing I looked for when wanting to hold back the clutch handle was a bit of 2X4 but they were all too long and the strap was right there and quicker. "
That's why I cut one the right length and carry it with me as part of my tool kit.

Thank You Sponsors!