iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Best Wood for Kindling?

Started by ReggieT, August 03, 2015, 02:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep you can feel them they will be heavy. Sometimes theres No Tree Left Just Knots.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Banjo picker

The quick growth stuff the paper companies around here have been planting for the last few 50 or so years wont ever make much of a pine knot.  It just rots.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ReggieT

Quote from: Banjo picker on August 08, 2015, 11:32:55 PM
The quick growth stuff the paper companies around here have been planting for the last few 50 or so years wont ever make much of a pine knot.  It just rots.  Banjo
DON'T SAY THAT!!! say_what smiley_furious3

WDH

Look for old stumps.  Bust away the rotten outside, and the fat liter will be in the middle and down into the ground. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ReggieT

Quote from: WDH on August 09, 2015, 07:24:29 AM
Look for old stumps.  Bust away the rotten outside, and the fat liter will be in the middle and down into the ground.
Will do! 8)

TonyK.

Old dry cedar cut between the branches about 10" long.

Dixiebonsai

In my part of the country,Tennessee, I find that pine,cedar, sassafras, and sycamore start fires pretty good.Sassafras and dried sycamore burn like they have gasoline injected into them. I try to avoid cutting up a lot of this wood, I prefer shag bark and pignut hickory, white oak and red oak for my woodpiles.

Magicman

Fresh sawn, even heartwood, has too much moisture.  I only use the "good stuff" which is fat pine from old stumps. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

We sell and burn jack pine and birch, nothing like a wad of birch bark to get it going, I throw all the lose bark and splinters into a tote bag lasts us for several years.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Mountaineer

For us in WV, poplar is hard to beat.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Thank You Sponsors!