iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cheap roof!!! maybe

Started by hiya, September 19, 2004, 05:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiya

Last year I got tired of rain,mud,& snow.SOOO I am trying something.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\sawmill\hoop.JPG
Got about $175.00 in it have ends to do yet.
Am also working on a horzonal circle saw. Some what like a swinger but it doesn't swing.  :-/ I need to get a vertical shaft motor.It fits on the band mill track. I hope to take the slabs off then use the band. I will have to turn the log like on the band saw.I just wish I had the money to support my ideas.I get about as much fun out of making things as using them, :-/
Richard
RichardinMd.

hiya

RichardinMd.

Fla._Deadheader

You gonna have both saws on the frame at the same time??? If so, sounds interesting.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

hiya

I have 2 separate frames. I made an 8' extenction on the track and have a saw at each end.The track is 28' long I will be able to cut 20' logs. I will have another track ( 20') I can put the circle mill on to use where ever. and haul the cants home to saw. I can't wait to try it out.
RichardinMd.

Percy

Heya Hiya :D
Im interested in your roof. How much did it cost you, the size and what kind of snowload can it take? Your two mills on the same track is a cool idea.
later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

hiya

percy,
I used a 30x40 silver tarp. I got it on sale for $50.00(1/2 priced) The building is 24 wide x 28 1/2long x.12 1/2high I don't know the snow load.They use ones like this other places with more snow.We don't get that much here.The rafters could be made heavier.
RichardinMd.

HOGFARMER

I think a lot of us would like to see the details on making the wood hoops.  What type of wood did you use and how did you form the curve?  Thanks in advance.
Manual LT-30

hiya

Hogfarmer,
Since I didn't have a floor or concrete pad to work on I worked on a level spot in the yard. I measure off a 12' radius and drove stakes in about 18-20" apart and bent the 1/2"x2" strips around .I used constuction adv. & screws to fasten them togeather.I used oak and some popular.( log I had at the time) I put 6 layers- more could be used for more snow load.

richard
RichardinMd.

shopteacher

Talk about cheap roof.  Yesterday I stopped at my favorite salvage yard to pick up a roll of conveyor belt. The kids at school use it for tires on the Toys for Tot's Irish handcar.  There had been 4 large rolls of it earlier this summer.  Yesterday I could only get some pieces about 12' long. Where the rest go?  One of the guys that works there used it for a new roof. Rolled it out and overlapped the seams.  Well, I guess it will be a long time till he needs a new one.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

dail_h

Hey Hiya,
   How did you do the bottoms of those rafters?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

hiya

dail_h
Sorry I didn't answer sooner, This is the first I was on since Sunday.( I hope things change soon, I was feeling left out) ::)
I used 2 -2x4's one flat and one on edge, screwed togeather.
The rafter sits on one and against the other, then I used metal angle brackets screwed to the 2x4 and to the rafter.
RichardinMd.

HOGFARMER

How is the building holding up.  Have the wind and winter weather caused any damage?  Thanks
Manual LT-30

Buzz-sawyer

hiya,  :D :D
hiya howz about some close ups of your laminated hoops..........I think I would like to try it 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

mometal77

I helped a guy down the road put up one similar.  One he can park two log trucks in.  The slab he was saying was 10k alone.  Nice thing he said is they cannot charge him tax on it over it is a movable unit. 
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

hiya

I had a tree fall on on end (maple about 8" at base, about 25-30 ' long).broke 2 hoops. I live on top of a hill we get a lot of wind. After the hoops got broke the tarp loosen up. Than it flapped a little and it got in bad shape. ( it was a cheep one). If I had the money I would get a cover from Farm Teck. Been working at church every thur. fri,& Sat. since Aug. Have a couple more weeks than maybe I can fix things back up.Saw mill is getting lonely, haven't touched it since last spring.
I will try to get some pics on here before long.
Richard
RichardinMd.

dail_h

Hey Richard,
   You know jerry beal over at Damascus Weslyn?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

hiya

dail_h, No I don't know jerry. I go close by there on the way to church.

buzz I will try, Old age has a way to play tricks on my mind.

RichardinMd.

hiya

RichardinMd.

Buzz-sawyer

Thanks Hiya........
What kinda glue did you use......was the wood dry or green??
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

jpgreen

Your shop has got me thinking. 

I'm wondering if there is a dry mix (add water) glue that's reasonable on a large quantity?

I'm got this brown powdered glue that my dad had from the 70's, and the stuff is like iron.  Add water and this glue is wonderful.  Wish a had a 5 gal bucket of this stuff.

Teck Supply catalog- 

http://www.teksupply.com

...Has 6 mil 4 year greenhouse film for $2.73 per linear 26' wide, and $3.78 for 36' wide.

My place up here has a fairly dry climate.  I think these may make a pretty good passive solar kiln.  I've got places I would like to but up a structure, but don't want it permanent.

If a guy could get a good glue cheap, these hoop houses would be real cost effective for a sawmill owner.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Buzz-sawyer

Thats what I been thinkin........................ ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

beenthere

Quote from: jpgreen on January 30, 2006, 12:09:53 PM
............I'm wondering if there is a dry mix (add water) glue that's reasonable on a large quantity?
........ this brown powdered glue that my dad had from the 70's, and the stuff is like iron.  Add water and this glue is wonderful.  Wish a had a 5 gal bucket of this stuff.
If a guy could get a good glue cheap, these hoop houses would be real cost effective for a sawmill owner.

Sounds like the 'brown powdered glue' was a urea resin powder. Good glue, and I did see it on the Woodworkers Supply site (probably are others too). Also a similar glue (not powder) called 'resorcinal' that would provide a waterproof glue line, but both need ventilation as there are formaldehyde vapors connected. These glues are not 'gap filling' glues and need a very small glue line obtained by a lot of pressure and smooth surfaces. I found this info in an article from a Fine Homebuilding publication on "Builders' Adhesives".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shopteacher

Look into Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue.  It mixes with water and is water resistant once set.  I get it in a gallon tub and I believe it's relatively cheap.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

jpgreen

Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue- that's it!.  8)

Starts at about $21 for a 4.5 lb. plastic tub.  That autta do the whole whoop house for sure, I would imagine.

A guy could also make 2x4 trusses fixed to those whoops for snow loads.  I'm thinking I want 2 to start- one for a kiln, and 1 with a shaded tarp to work under. 1 big enough for the boat would be awesome too.

For a passive solar kiln... our prevailing winds always come from the west.  I would point the openings east and west, and then with full time sun I say it would probably dry out wood pretty darn fast.  Wood dries out quickly up here, and never rots hardly.  How many board feet do you think you could squeeze in a hoop house the size of Hiya's?  A bunch I bet.  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

farmerdoug

Have you guys ever thought about using used water pipe for you temporary buildings?  We use 1 inch water pipe that a well driller gave us for free to bend for the frames of our grennhouses and then used 1/2 inch conduit for the bracing.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!